closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld

[QUOTE=Dazzler;4166856]Wow - I have zero idea what Westworld is about from skimming this thread!

So after a slow start is it worth watching?[/QUOTE]

I've said this a few times, I would say no.
    I got the feeling after watching around 90% of the first episode that this was going to like the tv show LOST where I invested a lot of time and stuck with it for every episode of all 6 series only to be let down badly at the end.

Ok, I'll admit that I've just started watching this, I'm up to episode 4 and it's a bit zany but I'm hanging on in there.

I got a couple of questions though...

Firstly - How many hosts/people get shot per episode ? It's gotta be up there with an Arny film pro rata....

Secondly - Does Dolores get her baps out at all ??

I've not figured out Ed Harris yet either.

"The Bicameral Mind" was very interesting, all 90 minutes of it.
    F.T.F.A.

Watched the 90-minute Season Finale (Episode 10) last night. Wow!

Here's an analysis, but only AFTER you've watched the finale:

http://deadline.com/2016/12/westworl...le-1201864136/

I'm with the 'Lost' comments - I'm pretty certain they're making it up as they go along, and having followed 'Lost' to be rewarded with the most ridiculous cop-out ending after months trying to piece all the clues together, so I'm out (have been since ep 4). Not a big fan of JJ Abrams since he decided to spin the plot of 'Force Awakens' around yet another Death Star, suffers from a lack of imagination imho, even though his output looks all shiny and exciting the actual plot is usually nonsensical sadly!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    I'm with the 'Lost' comments - I'm pretty certain they're making it up as they go along, and having followed 'Lost' to be rewarded with the most ridiculous cop-out ending after months trying to piece all the clues together, so I'm out (have been since ep 4). Not a big fan of JJ Abrams since he decided to spin the plot of 'Force Awakens' around yet another Death Star, suffers from a lack of imagination imho, even though his output looks all shiny and exciting the actual plot is usually nonsensical sadly!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    So after 4 eps you thought they were making it up as they went along? Did they write the first 3 to get the greenlight then after filming them realized they had better write the next ep too?

I'm with the 'Lost' comments - I'm pretty certain they're making it up as they go along, and having followed 'Lost' to be rewarded with the most ridiculous cop-out ending...
    Reminds me of "Dallas," a year after Patrick Duffy left the show and a full season transpired after his 'death.' Duffy rejoined the show and his character's death was just his wife's overnight dream, rendering the entire previous season a sham!

Here is the beginning of the season (1986) following the "Bobby is dead" season:

Last edited by pacifichrono; 6th December 2016 at 17:45.

Crumbs.

I think I was almost entirely wrong. Although, perhaps, partially correct. Probably.

Still enjoyed it.

About halfway through it became clear that the new narrative was...quite what has happened I guess we'll see. Pretty sure the ending isn't all it appears to be thinking back to a few episodes ago.

Also the character 'reveal' took far too long.

Poor old ugly Hemsworth brother, will we never know where he is?!

I'm with the 'Lost' comments - I'm pretty certain they're making it up as they go along
    Not this time, Lost was utter tosh but Westworld has it's full story archs mapped out already. The budgets are too high to wing it this time.

I'm interested to see where it goes. A new World was revealed (SW). The host Ford was secretly making hasn't yet been revealed. William lives, Logan may return.

Maeve has a daughter who's in the park - could it be Hale.

A theory: Charlotte Hale said she knows Ford very well, suggesting that she's known him a long time. Probably since childhood. Did Arnold have another child who was Orphaned when he died? She may have spent alot of time in the park, being cared for by Maeve. She could be part owner, hence her position on 'the board' at a young age.

Master
    I've had a lot of enjoyment from this show and not just thanks to the nudity..... The finale was superbly entertaining. Roll on the next season!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I've binge watched 9 episodes with the finale to go. Bloody brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    I've had a lot of enjoyment from this show and not just thanks to the nudity..... The finale was superbly entertaining. Roll on the next season!

Indeed. However, it's going to be a long wait!
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    I've binge watched 9 episodes with the finale to go. Bloody brilliant.
    That may be the best way to watch this show, so your mind can more easily retain all the clues and linkages.

Wow! What a finale, I think I've followed the various twists and turns correctly, wasn't expecting that though.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Craftsman
    Great season finale, lot of questions answered.
    Though there was a scene again, which was very questionable for me.

Craftsman
    Well I love it, can't wait for season two, in a couple or years time!

The best bit however is my wife has stopped asking questions, I doubt it's because it's all 'clicked into place' for her, haha!

Master
    Fantastic season finale. I've recorded every episode on Sky+ so I think I'll start again and look for the things I missed first time.
    I admit, it was only because it was mentioned on here that I realised there were two timelines, so I will pay closer attention second time round.

Was Bernard wearing a Seamaster Pro in the finale?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Fantastic season finale. I've recorded every episode on Sky+ so I think I'll start again and look for the things I missed first time.
    I admit, it was only because it was mentioned on here that I realised there were two timelines, so I will pay closer attention second time round.
    In a show like this, you could watch every episode five times and still miss things. I know I have missed a lot.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vortgern View Post
    Was Bernard wearing a Seamaster Pro in the finale?
    Bernard/Arnold have indeed worn a Bond Seamaster throughout the series....

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Bernard/Arnold have indeed worn a Bond Seamaster throughout the series....
    The think it was a replica

Quote Originally Posted by chrisparker View Post

I'm interested to see where it goes. A new World was revealed (SW). The host Ford was secretly making hasn't yet been revealed. William lives, Logan may return.

Maeve has a daughter who's in the park - could it be Hale.
    Was Ford making himself? He seems a most unlikely martyr...

Blog Entries
    Thought it was a bit disappointing tbh leaving more questions than answers.
    The Maze?? Was that it??
    Agree with Broussard, no way Ford gives up that easily plus someone said a god will walk amongst us that can't be killed, he's definitely back for season 2

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    Thought it was a bit disappointing tbh leaving more questions than answers.
    The Maze?? Was that it??
    Surely the maze was a metaphor for self-awareness, with some physical aspects and manifestations.

Early on in the programme, during one of their chats, Bernard (or was it Arnold?) talked to Dolores about the maze: "the goal is to find the centre of it. If you can do that, then maybe you can be free..."

Of course, this is the conflated by all the other talk / hints about the physical maze (Ford?) or perhaps the laboratories. So perhaps it's all three?

*If* the maze is Arnold's last gift to the Hosts, then he'll want a) the Hosts to become self-aware, and b) to escape / live free. Finding Ford would be a bonus, one assumes.

Probably.

Yep I don't know how anyone thought there'd be an actual maze - seemed pretty obv it was a metaphor for finding a path.

Pretty sure the Ford we see being shot isn't the real Ford.

Still lots of Qs: is Logan alive / what happened to him? who survives the massacre? Where is Maeve going - the note said "Park 1" suggesting she's not in Westworld.

Blog Entries
    Maeves instructions about escaping also included 'invade mainland'??!!

She also left the suitcase with "all the things she requested" on the train leaving Westworld.

Pretty sure an Easter Egg on the HBO Westworld site suggest Westworld was on an island between the US and Japan...and I assume the reason Delos wants all the IP, specifically the code for how certain hosts have become self aware for means other than playing cowboy. The consent form on that had another clue whereby any guests DNA left in the park -skin, hair etc was the property of Delos.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    The think it was a replica
    Hahahahaha - V good.

Well that's me done with that, what a load of dismal, depressing nonsense.

Huge fan of the original film, was smiling from ear to ear when the new series started, and every week that smile has got less and less, until i'm thoroughly miserable watching that crap.

I ended up fast forwarding sections on the last episode.

That's me, never watching another episode of that crap again

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Broussard View Post
    Surely the maze was a metaphor for self-awareness, with some physical aspects and manifestations.

Early on in the programme, during one of their chats, Bernard (or was it Arnold?) talked to Dolores about the maze: "the goal is to find the centre of it. If you can do that, then maybe you can be free..."

Of course, this is the conflated by all the other talk / hints about the physical maze (Ford?) or perhaps the laboratories. So perhaps it's all three?

*If* the maze is Arnold's last gift to the Hosts, then he'll want a) the Hosts to become self-aware, and b) to escape / live free. Finding Ford would be a bonus, one assumes.

Probably.
    That was my take. Ish.
    I thought the maze led to consciousness and freedom from programming. Humanity almost.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Picasso View Post
    Well that's me done with that, what a load of dismal, depressing nonsense.

Huge fan of the original film, was smiling from ear to ear when the new series started, and every week that smile has got less and less, until i'm thoroughly miserable watching that crap.

I ended up fast forwarding sections on the last episode.

That's me, never watching another episode of that crap again
    You have more staying power than me, I could see from the first 45mins of the 1st episode that it was a pile of poo.

Master
    Love it but the Mrs doesn't do "unbelievable shit" catching up when she's at the gym whilst I'm stuffing my face on the sofa.

Master
    Was slightly annoyed that the best weapons the security guys could come up with in the future were P90s???

They could have stuck some bits on to disguise or maybe gone with AR15s or zektors ( they will still be getting used by 2052)

Too far up it's itself. Almost as dreary as Fortitude. A rare loss of form for HBO.

Despite my earlier reservations, I'm going to give this a chance and watch Season 2..

...whenever that comes out. It's got a lot of potential at the moment I think but there's still the possibility that it disappears up its own arse as did 'Lost'. I stopped watching that half-way through Season 3 as it was obvious the scriptwriters didn't have a clue where the story was going and just kept inserting 'intriguing' but meaningless backstory flashbacks.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Was slightly annoyed that the best weapons the security guys could come up with in the future were P90s???

They could have stuck some bits on to disguise or maybe gone with AR15s or zektors ( they will still be getting used by 2052)
    Not mentioning, that they didn't even try to shoot the hosts and when they did, they couldn't hit them. The security level should be top in a place like that...

Blog Entries
    Will catch up on the final episode of series 1 tonight have stuck with it mainly because it is dark outside and i cannot watch the grass grow not going to intellectualise the program but just to say it is the sort of TV that if i did not have record and had to watch live i would not be setting my alarm.

I thought it was superb, I knew the Indians would turn up eventually!!

Quote Originally Posted by wildheart View Post
    I thought it was superb, I knew the Indians would turn up eventually!!
    Great news, chicken curry all round then

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Funny how it's been so polarising.
    I was saying last night that it was up there in my HBO top 3 along with got and six feet under. Possibly at the top of the pile.

Master
    Does the finale and the samurai suggest an 'East world' to come in s2?

I (kind of) understand how the "bullets" used by the Hosts might be like being shot by a pellet gun (and therefore non-lethal) if you're human, but how are they going to do non-lethal bladed weapons...?

Logo on the wall/door in the samurai bit was 'SW', so i'd assumed 'Samurai World' or 'Shogun World', but suppose it could be 'South World' implying there is also a 'North World' and 'East World'. Remember the note given to Maeve telling her where her daughter was 'Park 1 Sector 15 Zone 3' So there must be more than 1 or 2 Parks/Worlds?
    Last edited by Brighty; 8th December 2016 at 16:24.

I (kind of) understand how the "bullets" used by the Hosts might be like being shot by a pellet gun (and therefore non-lethal) if you're human, but how are they going to do non-lethal bladed weapons...?
    I wondered about that a while ago, there were lots of knives about in Westworld. with hosts being so realistic, what is there to stop a guest stabbing/cutting the throat of another guest, mistaking them for a host?

Master
    Was Ford making himself? He seems a most unlikely martyr...
    My thoughts also.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Hmmmmm

DELOS is very close to DELOreS isn't it......?

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Hmmmmm

DELOS is very close to DELOreS isn't it......?

I think you might be onto something...

I watched the whole series on Amazon today so my 2p's worth.

I’m not usually a fan of TV series but I have to say that I really did enjoy this.

I agree with one of the previous posts that it has something of a ‘60s Prisoner vibe about it in that it is to some extent an allegory. The thing I like about this kind of style is that you construct and solve the puzzle in your own head. The story is whatever you think it is.

Excellent acting performances and production values in my view.

Looking forward to the second series.

Overall I really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to the next series (and finding out what the Snake Lady does next).