closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld

I was a huge fan of the original Westworld when it was released. Here is a shocked and disbelieving James Brolin (with buddy Richard Benjamin) upon actually being shot. The original was ground-breaking, but this new Westworld is much more sophisticated and complex.

Gonna be fun to watch.

I fell asleep, watched the bit I missed yesterday and realised why I fell asleep, overly long slow dragged out scenes with very little content

Great first episode! This could be another fantastic series from HBO.

The original 1973 film is being shown on one of the sky channels this weekend (7/8oct). Saw it in the planner - I think it might be on the Syfi channel but can't check at the moment.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I fell asleep, watched the bit I missed yesterday and realised why I fell asleep, overly long slow dragged out scenes with very little content
    I haven't watched it yet but that is my concern a first episode that is overly long and going by some comments on this thread it isn't as good as the hype but I suppose I will give it a try.

Best to watch it and form your own opinion, it's all very subjective. IMHO. ;-)
    F.T.F.A.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Best to watch it and form your own opinion, it's all very subjective. IMHO. ;-)
    I agree and will do exactly that:)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    just grabbing episodes 1 and 2 now, going to watch both and report back

Quote Originally Posted by andy armitage View Post
    I haven't watched it yet but that is my concern a first episode that is overly long and going by some comments on this thread it isn't as good as the hype but I suppose I will give it a try.

Away at the moment so won't see episode 1 until next week - obviously on series record at home
    I am being VERY careful about what I let myself read on here. Very much looking forward to seeing this (still!)

Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    just grabbing episodes 1 and 2 now, going to watch both and report back
    Where are you getting episode 2 from?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post

First rule of Fight Club....

enjoyed ep1. Set ups things up nicely with a strong start

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchcollector1 View Post
    **cough** I use certain sites for my TV shows, I watched both last night and yes 1 gets off to a slow start, but there is a lot to get in to establish characters, EP2 starts to get much darker, that's all I can say without spoilers, Ed Harris's character seems to be on a mission to find something between the cracks........ again I cant say to much, PM me and I will tell you exactly what happens if you want

all in all I like it, very Inception like, with good solid plots and sub plots, I can see this series going on and on with 'upgrades' to other regions etc. a bit like CSI and its spin offs.

Master
    Just watched episode 1 and the wife said that ones for you honey.
    im out

Hmm. I thought it was very derivative and found myself second guessing who is or isn't a robot - to the point I reckon I've worked out every possible twist!
    The upshot is I won't be bothering beyond episode 1, I'd rather watch Bladerunner (again)!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Episode 2 is keeping my interest. This is shaping up to be an essential watch.

Well, contrary to my earlier comment I did watch episode 2 with my 15 year old son (who really enjoyed it) but I thought it was dreadful - Hopkins hammy acting being particularly irritating. But imho the whole setup makes no sense - I genuinely wouldn't pay to visit Westworld if it really existed, there is zero danger so it just wouldn't offer any real thrills (unless having sex with a souped up Dyson floats your boat) - and how much are the guests paying? You've got floors full of 'hosts' you 'retire' when they go a bit screwy - including robot horses and rattlesnakes, a huge area with all the buildings, all the maintenance involved in state of the art robotics etc - so you can recreate a dusty wild west? Maybe this was a cool idea in the 70's (when I watched the original movie) but seems really daft in 2016. Just an excuse to convince actresses to sit naked whilst pretending to be iphones getting the latest update, we get to see their pert breasts for no apparent reason and the human staff do a lot of swearing for no apparent reason. I don't think ibe sat through anything quite so moronic since I accidentally forgot to turn off EastEnders tje minute it comes on!
    Ps if you think this is a good TV show, track down 'Ex Machina' instead! 😋

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Episode two watched and that's me out.

Hmm.....I've got episode 2 recorded, but not sure I need to waste an hour of my life watching it now.

Craftsman
    Finally got round to watching the first episode!

It does have the makings of a decent series as long as it doesn't become another Lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post

Anyone else notice the music? There may have been more earlier on, but in a scene in the saloon, the piano is playing Soundgarden's 'Black Hole Sun', which i thought was a bit odd, modern music in wildwest setting then later in the big street shootout, it's the Stones 'Paint it Black'. A bit of a Black theme there. Anyone spot any others?

Brighty
    There was Radiohead's No Surprises in the first episode as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Go Big View Post
    Hmm.....I've got episode 2 recorded, but not sure I need to waste an hour of my life watching it now.
    It's worth the time!

I just want to go there. If it was my first visit there is no way I would have tuned this old girl down. No way. Absolutely loved it. What about the maze?

Blog Entries
    Watched ep 2 last night and quite frankly was not to impressed but will go along for the ride for now, the " man in black" is so far the only character that had subsidence IMO but an hour out of my life is no biggie

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post
    I just want to go there. If it was my first visit there is no way I would have tuned this old girl down. No way. Absolutely loved it. What about the maze?

Ah, sigh.....the ex Mrs Musk.

Craftsman
    Thought the second episode was a big improvement on the first.

Starting to look at the depth of the series, MiB with the maze, the arrival terminal and details about the park itself (central town being for beginners, further out getting more extreme)

I think it's setting up very well, can see a whole lot of twists and false flags with some storylines and people we meet linking to one another.

I'm wondering if some of the guys who look after the robots (the black actor who seems to be Hopkins RH man) are actually robots too (but they don't know it).! Given how JJ Abrahams is for plot twists it wouldn't surprise me

Also, the kid that Hopkins speaks to..could it have been a younger version of himself that he created?

Love some good sci-fi, too bad there hasn't been much out recently. Westworld is looking good so far, but I think I'll wait for a few more episodes and binge watch it.

I'm still enjoying it after episode 2. Certainly have to suspend disbelief, but i'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out - it might just end up being silly, debauched and frivolous, or it might have some real depth and intrigue - i'm happy to keep going with it to see which way it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    I'm still enjoying it after episode 2. Certainly have to suspend disbelief, but i'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out - it might just end up being silly, debauched and frivolous, or it might have some real depth and intrigue - i'm happy to keep going with it to see which way it goes.
    Some episodes of sci fi that's silly debauched and frivolous or mind numbing tedium of soaps ..... ??

I'll buy that for a dollar!!....

Master
    Still holding on. There's been enough intrigue to keep me invested. The gratuitous nudity I like. The swearing appeals less, feels more forced.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stefmcd View Post
    Still holding on. There's been enough intrigue to keep me invested. The gratuitous nudity I like. The swearing appeals less, feels more forced.

Its funny. The swearing has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, and I agree. It is oddly unconvincing. Are they trying to deliberately make it more "adult" as it's on HBO? The Brit guy just sounds stupid.

I don't mind Sidse talking dirty though! (Big fan of Borgen)

Master
    A lot of professional actors struggle with swearing IMO. I think their privileged backgrounds makes it feel rather unnatural!

I'm not a fan of swearing in tv either really but am of gratuitous nudity!
    In this it does feel forced...

Slightly OT but same in marvel films - x men (yes Fox I know) & some of them seem to throw in to say hey it's comics but not just for kids...but then kids love superheroes & it seems contrived and not necessary...

Surprised tabloids haven't picked up on all the N words being used in Luke Cage as it happens....

I was just wondering why the old boy in black changes the bullets in his handgun in the scene where he shoots the Mexican girl in the head in episode two. Any theories?

Its only 2 episodes in but here is my favorite scene so far...................

https://youtu.be/0I3EgQ394_k

A lot of professional actors struggle with swearing IMO. I think their privileged backgrounds makes it feel rather unnatural!

Aren't they meant to be "acting"? I think it's more that the script/characterisations are a little poorly written/casted/directed. Somebody said "we need to make this a bit more controversial/gritty".

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by luckywatch View Post

No one, but no one was more disappointed than I that this particular strand of the screenplay didn't "develop" more - It was just titillating enough without being overly salacious but I really do hope this isn't the last we'll be seeing of Charlotte.

I'm loving it, it appeals to the same side of me that revels in going off-piste in GTA or glitching under a map in CoD.
    Last edited by MST; 15th October 2016 at 19:33.

Master
    Just coz Peter Capaldi can convincingly swear with ease doesn't mean they all can.... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by pacifichrono View Post
    It's worth the time!
    Just watched episode 2, and while I think it very slow I'll stick with it and see how it goes.

I'm also really enjoying the memories it brings back of the game Red Dead Redemption :)

Quote Originally Posted by MST View Post
    No one, but no one was more disappointed than I that this particular strand of the screenplay didn't "develop" more - It was just titillating enough without being overly salacious but I really do hope this isn't the last we'll be seeing of Charlotte.

I'm loving it, it appeals to the same side of me that revels in going off-piste in GTA or glitching under a map in CoD.

Master

Westworld

^ Stop, just stop!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    I'm also really enjoying the memories it brings back of the game Red Dead Redemption :)
    I was thinking that myself as I watched some of the panoramic landscape shots. Funny how a game used lots of iconic movie settings and yet now a TV show reminds you of a game more than the original movies! Weird.

Last edited by stefmcd; 16th October 2016 at 09:45.

Master

100% agree Episode 2
    Thandie Newton - Nice (.)(.)
    Her character - Prostitutes/whores swear but it doesn't seem to fit her character, at times her vocabulary seems to me she was well educated/brought up lady like.

Well episode 3 has opened up a load more questions!

POSSIBLE SPOILERS...

2 different timelines on the go? One with William and Logan and another with the Man in Black? William getting hit with a dummy bullet and feeling it, whereas Man in Black got shot in week 1 and nothing happened - William and Logan in an earlier iteration of the park?

Master
    Episode 3...found a bit boring . Its over labouring the old man vs machine / nature of humanity / importance of memory .... all been done to death.

I hope we get into some decent killer robot mayhem action soon ...with nekkid chicks.

I love it, three in and can't wait for more ... Antony Hopkins at his best, guns, cowboys, robots, women what's not to like?

Really enjoying it so far.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I'm getting invested.