closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Westworld

Hybrid View

Westworld

Looks like they have remade one of my all time favorite movies into a HBO series.

https://youtu.be/IuS5huqOND4

https://youtu.be/eX3u0IlBBO4

I love the original

Not too sure about the remake though - it might be OK so will give it a try

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    I love the original

Not too sure about the remake though - it might be OK so will give it a try
    Anyone who can remember anything the first time round will always have doubt about a remake.

You have to remember theirs a lot of people that were not around when the original of whatever it be was around so can't compare....

So far I've managed to persuade several colleagues to watch the original Magnificent Seven, then the original Westworld (To link the Yul Brinner characters). They all watched the new Westworld last night with deeper interest and couldn't believe that the original Westworld was written by the guy that wrote Jurassic Park and ER!

Personally thought the constant nudity and one-dimensional ex-special forces security team were unnecessary.

Grand Master
    It's an HBO show, so the first episode didn't try to sell you everything, my guess is it'll be half a dozen episodes in until a lot of it makes and characters fully integrated.

As for the man in black being bullet proof, i thought he was just not following his programming, i.e. when you get shot you fall over, whereas he just takes the hit knowing the bullets can't damage the robots, which i'd guess can sustain the damage without issue, just a touch up required, i guess we'll find out soon!

Master
    I thought the man in black was a rogue "host", the first night he killed Teddy and then he dragged Delores into the barn, the next day in town he was Delores chivalrous friend picking up a can off the floor.

Probably thought the man in black was/is the Yul Brynner character in the original Westworld.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Argee1977 View Post
    It's an HBO show, so the first episode didn't try to sell you everything, my guess is it'll be half a dozen episodes in until a lot of it makes and characters fully integrated.

As for the man in black being bullet proof, i thought he was just not following his programming, i.e. when you get shot you fall over, whereas he just takes the hit knowing the bullets can't damage the robots, which i'd guess can sustain the damage without issue, just a touch up required, i guess we'll find out soon!
    It's an HBO show and a JJ Abrams show... LOST stayed a mystery for a solid 6 seasons!

My feeling is the man in black is a visitor... like a permanent visitor. He says at one point "Ive been coming here for 30 years" which implies from other snippets of info that he could be one of the first visitors to the earliest incarnation of Westworld. He's found something worth pursuing, and worth chopping a guys skull off for too... which is why he keeps coming back.

I'm excited for episode 2, thats for sure!

Master
    It's been coming for about 2 years LW, have you not seen anything about it??

Looks well worth a look anyway - I can see it getting the ratings, its having a real advertising push.

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    It's been coming for about 2 years LW, have you not seen anything about it??

Looks well worth a look anyway - I can see it getting the ratings, its having a real advertising push.
    First I heard was this morning. I haven't got Sky so not sure how I will see it. Maybe subscribe to HBO direct its its possible in the UK.

Seen the trailer for months.

"In a futuristic theme park staffed by artificial beings, guests can live out their wildest fantasies. However, when the robots begin to run amok, the guests find themselves in a world where anything can happen."

On Sky Atlantic from October

From executive producer J.J Abrams and writer/director Jonathan Nolan and featuring Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris and Thandie Newton...

Last edited by andrewcregan; 3rd September 2016 at 13:01.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Seen the trailer for months.

"In a futuristic theme park staffed by artificial beings, guests can live out their wildest fantasies. However, when the robots begin to run amok, the guests find themselves in a world where anything can happen."

On Sky Atlantic from October

From executive producer J.J Abrams and writer/director Jonathan Nolan and featuring Anthony Hopkins, Ed Harris and Thandie Newton...

Starts October
    They got Sky Atlantic on Now TV, that might be the answer. Thanks.

Apparently

"The first episode of the ten expected will arrive on HBO on Sunday the 2nd of October at 9pm"

So hopefully on Sky Arlantic around then.
    Last edited by andrewcregan; 3rd September 2016 at 13:19.

Master
    Just been inspired and now watching the original on Now TV

Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Just been inspired and now watching the original on Now TV
    Wouldn't it be more aptly named Then TV?

I love the movie and there's no one to touch Brynner... Arnie couldn't get close even in the first terminator to YB' s awesome cold menace...

But it's different ... it's HBO... so Game of Thrones, Sopranos etc . Mean I'll definitely give it a go....

The first trailer from the 1st link in the top post looks excellent.
    Sure this series will be excellent

I just want to go there. If it was my first visit there is no way I would have tuned this old girl down. No way. Absolutely loved it. What about the maze?

Craftsman
    Finally got round to watching the first episode!

It does have the makings of a decent series as long as it doesn't become another Lost.

Yeah, it has slowed but I have high hopes for it and I got to see whats in the maze. I wonder if Roman world or Medieval world will get a show?

Anyway I got the hots for the snake bird now......................................

I'm taking out a subscription to NowTv, just cant miss this. Looks too good............................

https://youtu.be/0zZcBv0gPK0

Master
    So any thoughts on the first episode? I enjoyed.

Hopefully no spoilers Just home from work, so not had a chance to see it.
    Fingers crossed it is great.......?

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Very different. Very enjoyable. I've never seen the original but definitely going to check it out.

I watched it too. Enjoyed it so could be OK

Hopefully next time I can watch it without Mrs GB asking what was going on every two minutes!

Love some good sci-fi, too bad there hasn't been much out recently. Westworld is looking good so far, but I think I'll wait for a few more episodes and binge watch it.

I'm still enjoying it after episode 2. Certainly have to suspend disbelief, but i'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out - it might just end up being silly, debauched and frivolous, or it might have some real depth and intrigue - i'm happy to keep going with it to see which way it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    I'm still enjoying it after episode 2. Certainly have to suspend disbelief, but i'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out - it might just end up being silly, debauched and frivolous, or it might have some real depth and intrigue - i'm happy to keep going with it to see which way it goes.
    Some episodes of sci fi that's silly debauched and frivolous or mind numbing tedium of soaps ..... ??

I'll buy that for a dollar!!....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    For me - underwhelmed, expected a bit more (as it was 1 hour 20 mins inc adverts, why not 1.5 or 2 hours double episode?) but it is the 1st episode and will stick with it.

Spoiler Alert

Also confused about the Man in Black being bullet proof.

Just bought myself a Now TV box for £19 from Amazon for this (Sainsbury's n t £5) - loved the original.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by classics View Post
    For me - underwhelmed, expected a bit more (as it was 1 hour 20 mins inc adverts, why not 1.5 or 2 hours double episode?) but it is the 1st episode and will stick with it.

Spoiler Alert

Also confused about the Man in Black being bullet proof.
    The human guests can't be harmed. The guns only 'kill' hosts and bounce off the humans like that.

Quote Originally Posted by anton863 View Post
    The human guests can't be harmed. The guns only 'kill' hosts and bounce off the humans like that.
    Not for long..................................

Not usually much for sci-fi type stuff, but thoroughly enjoyed this and looking forward to seeing how it develops.

Master
    Well there will be no spoilers from me anyway

I'm wondering if some of the guys who look after the robots (the black actor who seems to be Hopkins RH man) are actually robots too (but they don't know it).! Given how JJ Abrahams is for plot twists it wouldn't surprise me

Also, the kid that Hopkins speaks to..could it have been a younger version of himself that he created?

Master
    I love the first episode, not a remake of the film but along the same lines and with more detail/depth in regard to the 'hosts'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Early days but definitely good enough to watch again. Lots going on and lots to take in.

Quote Originally Posted by dizz View Post
    I love the first episode, not a remake of the film but along the same lines and with more detail/depth in regard to the 'hosts'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    Early days but definitely good enough to watch again. Lots going on and lots to take in.
    As above. I find that I normally get so far into a remake and then give up, usually because the new version is far removed from the original and/or offers nothing new. This looks like the exception etc.
    F.T.F.A.

I loved it. Drove to office still thinking about the plot. Going to watch it again tonight Do we all know who are the guests and who are the hosts? Ha ha! my wife dosent................

Master
    Really was looking forward to this but will have to improve for me to stay with it.

Disappointing first show.

I liked ep1 - if you have any idea of the original book/movie you know how this is roughly gonna go. But the slow build, characterisation/development of the 'hosts' will contribute to the suspense and tension. Plus there are so many directions they can take this.

I was just wondering why the old boy in black changes the bullets in his handgun in the scene where he shoots the Mexican girl in the head in episode two. Any theories?

Its only 2 episodes in but here is my favorite scene so far...................

https://youtu.be/0I3EgQ394_k

Master
    I enjoyed it but too much unconvincing swearing.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Master
    I thought Ed Harris was a visitor... purely because he couldn't be shot. Probably makes more sense for the twist to make him a rogue host.

Master
    Really enjoyed the first one and loved the music so far!

I was a huge fan of the original Westworld when it was released. Here is a shocked and disbelieving James Brolin (with buddy Richard Benjamin) upon actually being shot. The original was ground-breaking, but this new Westworld is much more sophisticated and complex.

Gonna be fun to watch.

I fell asleep, watched the bit I missed yesterday and realised why I fell asleep, overly long slow dragged out scenes with very little content

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    I fell asleep, watched the bit I missed yesterday and realised why I fell asleep, overly long slow dragged out scenes with very little content
    I haven't watched it yet but that is my concern a first episode that is overly long and going by some comments on this thread it isn't as good as the hype but I suppose I will give it a try.

Great first episode! This could be another fantastic series from HBO.

The original 1973 film is being shown on one of the sky channels this weekend (7/8oct). Saw it in the planner - I think it might be on the Syfi channel but can't check at the moment.

Hmm. I thought it was very derivative and found myself second guessing who is or isn't a robot - to the point I reckon I've worked out every possible twist!
    The upshot is I won't be bothering beyond episode 1, I'd rather watch Bladerunner (again)!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk