closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New limited edition Guinand HS100

Master

New limited edition Guinand HS100

Hello,

I am a bit of a Guinand fanboy and I own a couple of their watches.
    I believe that quality wise they are at least as good as the base Sinns with a better entry price.
    Anyway, Guinand was led by Helmut Sinn after his departure from Sinn.
    Helmut turned 100 this year and Guinand is celebrating with a limited edition watch the HS100!
    It is a reverse panda chronograph with red details. I really like it and if it was not for the recent drop of the pound I would be all over it.
    Perhaps some of my pieces should go in favour of this...
    Here are some pics:

And here is the website: https://www.guinand-uhren.de/hs100en/hs100.html

It has some very interesting information about Helmut and his involvement with watchmaking.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Guinand was led by Helmut Sinn after his departure from Sinn.
    Helmut turned 100 this year...
    Today, in fact.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Today, in fact.
    Yes indeed!
    Although it doesn't make any difference regarding the purpose of this thread.
    Here is the gorgeous chronograph they probably used as inspiration.

Craftsman
    The choice of bezel material makes it look a little cheap - is it plastic or rubber?

Master
    Matte pvded aluminium..

Master
    I'm really not a fan OP, sorry. Polishing to the case looks very mediocre and the whole design looks quite cheap IMO, which I'm guessing it certainly isn't.

i was looking forward to seeing the new model they emailed me about but was left rather underwhelmed with this. i was hoping for a new watch model, not a 40 series with a new dial. i like it though, the red chequer blocks make the dial i think. dont like the use of the 7750 but miss out the day function (unless its replaced with a gmt hand) all this said im still thinking about sticking my name down as like the OP i am a bit of a Guinand fan, even with the new owners and business model (i liked it when it was all email and postal forms to Horst :) )

the bezel is aluminium and actually stands up to abuse rather well, some how? this is my one off 40 series that i bought just before Herr Sinn finally retired and worn yesterday for his 100th :).

Last edited by deerworrier; 3rd September 2016 at 11:16.

I am getting bored of Guinand trotting out derivatives of the same model.

Quote Originally Posted by hicksmat View Post
    yea, it's not like any other companies do this year upon year! :) but it cant be easy for them, they are a small company with a good range of watches from simple 3handers to the 7750 chronos and a few pocket watches thrown in too. i saw the new owners re-released the flying officer but with a 7750 module (i think) this was a let down and the original was a superb watch for the money and now just looks like a cash out exercise on the new owners part. how much can the new owners do though? do you take a risk on a completely new style, only for folks to say the usual "it's just like the x,y,z" i think when Horst and Helmut ran it, it worked well. it was a very small, old school company who made watches they liked for a price that in effect kept them viable and employed. personally, i'd like to see them redo the series 31 chronosport models with simple 3hand and rotating bezel or take some lessons from the current tutima collection only not quite as insanely priced:)

out of interest, what would you like to see them do? a Frankfurt am main style chrono, dive watch?

They can do some interesting watches.

Master

They can do some interesting watches.

That is a very nice collection of Guinands!

Sadly not mine I might add. But you can see they used to do a comprehensive range.

yea, a nice vintage looking twin register would be good to see too. between the chronosport line up and the old guinand company catalogue there must be something to inspire the current designers (if they have any?)

Master

New limited edition Guinand HS100

Well, I beg to differ.
    They offer a respectable range of watches and they can be easily found in their website.
    Series 40 is probably their bestseller due to the iconic design that has remained pretty much unchanged for the past few decades.
    Furthermore I find nothing wrong with offering so many options regarding dials, case finishes etc. Quite a few times I found myself wondering what could have been if the case was sandblasted or the dial was a different colour etc etc. At least with Guinand know I have the option of getting a watch closer to my taste and my needs. This is something to be admired and appreciated rather than frowned upon.
    How many of us would have liked a panda speedy? Well, it has been produced but it was labelled as a limited edition and people had to pay more to acquire it...
    So do I hate the fact that there are so many options available from Guinand? I certainly don't.
    Do I hate the fact that I have to pay more to get a watch I like from another company just because it is labelled as a numbered or a limited edition? Yes, I do...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like some of them and I appreciate the sentiment but this one is not for me.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm fairly ambivalent about it tbh.
    I think guinand have turned out some cracking watches but for some reason the black white and red being so stark colour wise is a little painful on the eyes, but then again it's the colours that separate it from similar German offerings.
    Horological Schrödinger's cat.

I do really like it, especially with the red accents, but, just not sure about the bezel, as has been mentioned it looks plastic, but then a photo is never enough to judge a watch by, would I buy one, not sure, maybe if the price was right.

I quite like it and don't mind that it's a modified Series 40. I'm a little surprised Sinn themselves didn't do something, given how find they are of LE's and celebrating company anniversaries, etc. If Sinn had released a 103 St 100th Birthday HS Edition, it would cost $2500-$3k. The price of this watch seems quite reasonable to me by contrast.

In addition to the Mathey-Tissot above, I suspect that Guinand had this Sinn in mind as inspiration:

Myron
    Last edited by Myron; 6th September 2016 at 16:11. Reason: added a pic

It looks like a poker chip to me!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by deerworrier View Post
    i

I have to admit to not having heard of that make, but quite like the one above.

Al

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    I quite like it and don't mind that it's a modified Series 40. I'm a little surprised Sinn themselves didn't do something, given how find they are of LE's and celebrating company anniversaries, etc. If Sinn had released a 103 St 100th Birthday HS Edition, it would cost $2500-$3k. The price of this watch seems quite reasonable to me by contrast.

In addition to the Mathey-Tissot above, I suspect that Guinand had this Sinn in mind as inspiration:

Myron
    Myron that is a very good catch! Probably both came out of the same factory..!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    It looks like a poker chip to me!

Steve
    Is that a bad thing?

Master
    I like it especially the red. The markers are reminiscent of the 70's watches and I like the matte finish on the bezel against the polished case. The bezel being made from aluminum ..I am not sure how well it can stand up to dings. As far as the movement, I guess if they had some extra Buren 12's hanging around it would have been nice but pricey too.

BTW nothing wrong with a workhorse movement plenty of others using it and remember they are starting up again keeping a brand alive and looks like they are using the same ideas of older Swiss companies by using yesteryear's designs to sell a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MakeColdplayHistory View Post
    Is that a bad thing?
    If you like wearing poker chips on your wrist, no.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Ar.parask View Post
    Myron that is a very good catch! Probably both came out of the same factory..!
    Thanks. My hunch would be that they were both made by Guinand, especially given Guinand's relationship with Sinn at the time. It's another reason I think the HS-100 is so cool. It really is a re-issue of a watch they historically produced themselves.

Can't wait for mine.

Myron

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Myron View Post
    Thanks. My hunch would be that they were both made by Guinand, especially given Guinand's relationship with Sinn at the time. It's another reason I think the HS-100 is so cool. It really is a re-issue of a watch they historically produced themselves.

Can't wait for mine.

Myron
    Did you order yours already?
    I am still contemplating about it!
    When is the expected delivery date?