closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Televisions - is 4K really needed on a 43" telly? Model suggestions?

The Samsung Blu-ray player I have has all the usual Smart features (which I hardly ever use anyway). I know what the experts say about resolution, screen size and viewing distance but I can only comment on what my eyes see and I can definitely see an improvement on the Hisense 4K over the previous Panasonic HD. The sound is pretty good too.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Just had an e-mail from Costco advertising a Toshiba 40" 4K 3D for £299 delivered with 5 year warranty.

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/toshi...hibaTelevision

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Craftsman
    Thanks all. Went for the 43" Samsung in the end. Picture looks great compared to our old one. And testing out some 4k footage from youtube I can definitely see a difference so happy with the choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Televisions - is 4K really needed on a 43" telly? Model suggestions?

Not in the same size bracket but my son just purchased a 55" Samsung 4K tv for his bedroom and although 4K looks stunning, SD and even some HD channels look pretty ropey. Tried some settings off the web but the overall picture looks almost blurred. Suppose it's the upscaling but have to admit I was pretty disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by endure View Post
    The general consensus is wrong.
    X 2.

Even dodgy download movies look incredibly on my 4K Samsung.

I recommend richer sounds. 6 year warranty on most large tvs

Blog Entries
    Do any manufacturer have a 'just the panel' option?

Everything goes through my AV box, so, have no need for anything beyond a panel and single HDMi input... Don't need speakers even...

Ben

Craftsman
    Hi Ben, can you not just look for a large monitor? Although I think once you go up in size the tv becomes the cheaper option..

Quote Originally Posted by 893bet View Post
    X 2.

Even dodgy download movies look incredibly on my 4K Samsung.

I recommend richer sounds. 6 year warranty on most large tvs
    Richer Sounds is where I got mine. Longest (free) warranty in the business and if you buy 40" or up they come out and fix it rather than expecting you to take it to a shop.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Craiginuk View Post
    Hi Ben, can you not just look for a large monitor? Although I think once you go up in size the tv becomes the cheaper option..
    You're probably right, but, seems a bit daft to paying for a load of stuff which is entirely superfluous... I know I am not on my own on this one... It's not such a small market segment that it can't be addressed!

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    If you look at what the people in the know say it makes perfect sense, where 4K is concerned the bigger the screen the more detail available to the human eye. hence why they say, a 65 inch screen is way better then a 40 inch. It's all in the pixel count more is better. Not General concenus, it's fact actually.
    It's not really as smple as that. Pixel count is only better if you can resolve the pixels, otherwise it's not noticeable. A 40" 4K will look just as good/bad as a 65" 4K (all else being equal) if you're viewing it at the at the equivalent distance to cancel out the size difference. That's a fact.

The reason most newer tellys look better whatever the source/resolution is that generally contrast, black levels, colour saturation, motion handling etc are better.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by James_Poole View Post
    I'm in the same position but with Sony rather than Samsung...

Considering one of these:
    https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-12459-kd43x8309cbu.aspx

Can anyone recommend modern Sony's ours is about 8 years old but has been excellent.
    I'm pretty sure we have that model. It was mediocre with Youview (freeview) but incredible with Sky HD.

Craftsman
    As far as I am concerned, Samsung makes the best 4K TVs out there. You can't go wrong with them.

Jancik. Stop speedposting

Too late.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by James_Poole View Post
    I'm in the same position but with Sony rather than Samsung...

Considering one of these:
    https://centresdirect.co.uk/p-12459-kd43x8309cbu.aspx

Can anyone recommend modern Sony's ours is about 8 years old but has been excellent.
    Hello

I have exactly that, bought it at its launch in the spring of 2015. It has perfect picture quality , very good sound although I have connected a Denon system , excellent connectivity (I have a cat6 going in it, and one going in the Blueray reader).

I only have three slight points which could be bettered:
    a- to switch between HDMI sources is somehow not immediate on the remote. I guess a programmable Logitech remote would cure this.
    b- it still does not do direct USB recording on external HD.
    c- the EPG on freeview is quite ugly and difficult to read. Freeview performance excellent.

Would recommend it

BWs
    Franco