closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New Explorer - day one

New Explorer - day one

So, I got my Explorer today, thanks to a thread on this forum flagging an AD who had one in stock (hat tip to both Bluemoon7 for the heads-up, and Eddie for the facility). Thought I'd jot down a couple of initial impressions.

First, the "2016" changes to the Explorer - i.e. the revised handset and the new arabics.

The hands didn't bother me on the pre-2016 version of the 214270 Explorer (I should say at this stage that I've seen the older model "in-the-metal" plenty). I am glad that the minute hand now reaches the track, but would've been happy regardless.

The arabics, however, were the one thing holding me back from the pre-2016 version. Two reasons for this: I thought the solid filled arabics too blingy for my taste, and I didn't like the negative space in the lume at night. The revised applications sort these issues out for me perfectly.

Other observations so far:

I was a touch worried about the Chromalight, since the official pics make it look like it's Royal Blue on the new Explorer. I'm happy to report it's still a lovely bluey-green, or greeny-blue, and does not to my eyes move too unfavourably from a traditional lume (when asked, my daughter pronounced it green).

This watch fits superbly, even on a small (6.75") wrist. I'm highly conservative, but even for me the 36mm Explorer is now just that fraction too small in stature for a modern tool watch. Don't get me wrong - if I was lucky enough to own a 36mm Explorer I would certainly not be thinking of changing it... I suppose I'm just saying that coming to it fresh, the 39mm is a really good size. This 39mm Explorer does not "wear big" or anything like that... it's a 39mm case, with a c.31mm face, and it wears just as those specs would suggest... in other words, like a plain, unobtrusive watch.

It's not big, it's not small. It's just right.

The explorer booklet that shipped with mine was clearly hung-over from the pre-2016 version, since it featured two separate sketch drawings of the watch's face, both of which showed the solid gold arabics instead of the lume-filled arabics. It's interesting that, even in the days of the ur-corporate Rolex behemoth, these little transition quirks continue to slip through.

Hope this is useful to anyone considering a purchase, let me know if you have any thoughts or questions :)

Journeyman
    Looking good, I fancy one myself. Thanks for the initial impressions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Lovely!

Thanks for taking the time for a review.

That looks really cool, I have been waiting to see one in a window of a AD near me, no luck so far, so I popped in and asked on Saturday and they had sold their first one that morning. I have never owned a Rolex but the explorer might change this. They did show me their new Airking, nice but not me.

They have said they will call me when the next one appears, I had just bought a diamond eternity ring a couple of weeks earlier from them for my wife, they made her feel really special and it was a real spur of the moment thing, as she spotted what she wanted one day.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for your thoughts on the Explorer.

Im on the cusp of this or the Airking.

Clinton, who has the new Airking down your way?

Thanks for the write-up and photos. I plan to at least put my name down for one of these later this week, that's if the AD doesn't have one to sell. I've had and enjoyed my Everest for a few years now, so moving on the Explorer seems the right thing to do.

Although I think I could certainly be happy with the old Explorer version's hands, the longer ones are an improvement in my opinion. I also shared the 'too blingy' idea of the solid numerals of the old version; however, I suspect that living with them for a long time, they'd not be an issue either as they seem to blend in with the dial and disappear under certain light conditions.

Anyway, the subtle changes to the new model, along with liquidation of much of my existing collection earlier this year, mean I'm looking forward to this one a lot.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ben4watches View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts on the Explorer.

Im on the cusp of this or the Airking.

Clinton, who has the new Airking down your way?
    There is one in Goldsmiths CC.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I have the previous version. Not sure why but this one looks a lot more different to me (in a good way)

Craftsman
    Thanks for the write up, I too am waiting to see one in the flesh as this could be my first Rolex too.

Master
    Thanks for the write up, seriously considering one of these myself

Really nice review enjoyed reading that, thanks for taking the time. Have only owned subs and an air king in the past, but this was the watch in the National Geographic ads that first kindled an interest....

Excellent well written review. Thanks for sharing.

Banned
    Congratulations, enjoy your lovely watch, and thanks for the pics.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Lovely watch and thank you for pointing out the developments from the older model.

ATB

Jon

The new explorer looks super. I'm very envious. Thanks for the initial review, enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful, its definitely more in proportion now with the longer hands, more akin to the proportions of the older 36mm Explorer. Great move by Rolex IMO

Congrats, nice watch. I have the previous version and I still prefer it over these changes. On the revised one, the hands are now too large (the hour hand looks out of proportion as it is now too fat and the lume on the minute hand now overlaps the lume on the hour markers when it previously lined up perfectly) This second point in particular is definitely a mistake on the part of Rolex. It would really frustrate me and due to my OCD, I could never own such a watch.

I think that Rolex just didn't need to make the minute hand extend to the same length as the second hand. I very much like having a second hand that is longer than a minute hand and a minute hand that is longer than an hour hand. In my mind, that's the way it should be. Also, in my opinion, the lume filled 3,6,9 appears to cheapen the watch when compared with the understated elegance of the white gold on the previous version (it now looks like a fake I once saw in Turkey) Still, I will hold onto my original 214270 with pride and I'm sure that its limited run as the first 39mm version will make it very desirable in the future.
    Last edited by jacktheripper; 31st August 2016 at 15:16.

Craftsman
    Looks great and thanks for the review!

New Explorer - day one

Really enjoyed reading the review and loved the pictures. I picked mine up from WoS in Regents St yesterday. Agree that it really is a beautiful and well-proportioned watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Seal-Dweller; 1st September 2016 at 07:03.

Journeyman
    Very nice photos, thanks. You have made it look better than the very 'blingy' look in a jewellers window.

Craftsman
    Really enjoyed reading this. Thank you for the lovely photos. Enjoy the watch.

Is the bracelet brushed? I love the fact that this watch looks less blingy than others I've seen (as mentioned in a previous post).
    Do you know how thick the watch is... weirdly I can't find the dimensions anywhere!

Great stuff! Love it. A classic for sure.

Wrist shot please

Took them a while but they got there in the end at their usual "glacial" pace. Perfect.

You know - it wouldn't surprise me if, a few years down the line, rolex decided to fix the air-king too.

Craftsman
    I was fortunate to buy one today. If paying full price for a luxury chunk of metal is 'lucky'. Mappin & Webb on Regents Street. As the bracelet was being adjusted another chap was asking to buy one. Sales assistant stated that the group had stock and could get one quickly if that helps anyone.

Banned
    Tried this on today and IMHO this will be one of the strongest selling models.

Great price under £4.5k, much better proportions for the modern world, but still very classical looking.

The hand change I can live with or without, but the 3,6,9 is just so much better in real life.

Great watch.

Craftsman
    I was pretty convinced I wanted a 36mm explorer. I have a 6 3/4" wrist and didn't get on with my ceramic sub. However, this model feels different and in my opinion does not look huge on my wrist. Updated clasp allowing hot weather adjustment (unlike the 36mm versions but something I liked about the sub) and 5-year warranty combined with great proportions and decent lume sold it.

Blog Entries
    Rolex finally got it right, congrats!

Nice write up and a great watch, congratulations! It's one I have in my list too, can't wait.

Any photos on a 6.75" wrist gratefully received!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by colin t View Post
    Any photos on a 6.75" wrist gratefully received!
    Ditto. This could derail my hulk plans as I am conservative by nature

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Master
    A great review. It’s a superb watch. I cannot identify anything that I can find fault with. While that may sound like faint praise, to my jaded eyes (as I look around for a new watch for myself) it is a rare occurrence.

A great review of a lovely Rolex , thank you .

Okay, many thanks for all the comments and interest. Here are some wrist shots (due to popular demand) on my 6.75" wrist. I've taken a couple directly and a couple in a mirror, to show differing perspectives. All are taken with a 50mm (35mm eq.) lens, so relatively non-distorted....

Direct shots on the wrist (so, from about 600mm, not cropped):

And some shots in a mirror (so, from about 2000mm, cropped):

What's that, you're fed up seeing this explorer mooching around Tarkovsky polaroids and want to see it being all butch and stuff in a few egregious photographic cliches? Maybe with something outdoorsey like a tree stump? Okay, I think we have time for that...

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Is the bracelet brushed?
    Yep

I love the fact that this watch looks less blingy than others I've seen (as mentioned in a previous post).
    Me too. It has a great mix to be honest, it'll still catch the light on the wrist but is more muted than it looks in a display, where I think the lighting tends to do this type of watch a disservice.

Do you know how thick the watch is... weirdly I can't find the dimensions anywhere!
    12mm (for comparison's sake, AirKing is 14mm).

Craftsman
    Far better pictures than I could produce..! I have an iPhone wrist shot but don't have any host site so can't seem to upload.

Master
    Very useful wrist photos.

Is the dial glossy?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Yep

Me too. It has a great mix to be honest, it'll still catch the light on the wrist but is more muted than it looks in a display, where I think the lighting tends to do this type of watch a disservice.

12mm (for comparison's sake, AirKing is 14mm).
    Crikey. This is looking pretty much PERFECT. Thanks so much for the reply JGJG. Keep us updated with your experiences. I'm very very tempted to divert my attention to this beauty!