So, I got my Explorer today, thanks to a thread on this forum flagging an AD who had one in stock (hat tip to both Bluemoon7 for the heads-up, and Eddie for the facility). Thought I'd jot down a couple of initial impressions.

First, the "2016" changes to the Explorer - i.e. the revised handset and the new arabics.

The hands didn't bother me on the pre-2016 version of the 214270 Explorer (I should say at this stage that I've seen the older model "in-the-metal" plenty). I am glad that the minute hand now reaches the track, but would've been happy regardless.

The arabics, however, were the one thing holding me back from the pre-2016 version. Two reasons for this: I thought the solid filled arabics too blingy for my taste, and I didn't like the negative space in the lume at night. The revised applications sort these issues out for me perfectly.

Other observations so far:

I was a touch worried about the Chromalight, since the official pics make it look like it's Royal Blue on the new Explorer. I'm happy to report it's still a lovely bluey-green, or greeny-blue, and does not to my eyes move too unfavourably from a traditional lume (when asked, my daughter pronounced it green).

This watch fits superbly, even on a small (6.75") wrist. I'm highly conservative, but even for me the 36mm Explorer is now just that fraction too small in stature for a modern tool watch. Don't get me wrong - if I was lucky enough to own a 36mm Explorer I would certainly not be thinking of changing it... I suppose I'm just saying that coming to it fresh, the 39mm is a really good size. This 39mm Explorer does not "wear big" or anything like that... it's a 39mm case, with a c.31mm face, and it wears just as those specs would suggest... in other words, like a plain, unobtrusive watch.

It's not big, it's not small. It's just right.

The explorer booklet that shipped with mine was clearly hung-over from the pre-2016 version, since it featured two separate sketch drawings of the watch's face, both of which showed the solid gold arabics instead of the lume-filled arabics. It's interesting that, even in the days of the ur-corporate Rolex behemoth, these little transition quirks continue to slip through.

Hope this is useful to anyone considering a purchase, let me know if you have any thoughts or questions :)