closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Unexpected highlight of the day...

Master

Unexpected highlight of the day...

So I went to the Gold Cup at Oulton Park today. Amazing day with my younger cousins but at one point, we were watching the racing when something caught my eye on the arm of a spectator next to me. This...

I couldn't not ask him about it, and it turned out he'd owned it since new! His family scrimped and saved to put up the funds together, all £57 of it at the time 😊😊 Original dot over 90 bezel, relatively good condition for its age, worn every single day apart from a very short trip away apparently. The original bracelet got snagged on some cables and apparently fell four floors do its demise.

He he asked me to give him an idea of value and nearly fell over. He genuinely had NO idea and it looked like I totally made his day. I explained he should get it insured promptly 😊😊

It just shows that it really is worth chatting to people about their watch if you see something like this. He did look at me oddly at first but when I went in to detail, I can't help but think he was over the moon (no pun intended!).

"...he asked me to give him an idea of value and nearly fell over."

So what did you tell him?

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's fantastic.

Craftsman
    Gorgeous - worn and loved!
    Nice spot.

Any experts out there want to guess the year for this beauty ?

I reckon it's around 1965.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Any experts out there want to guess the year for this beauty ?
    I'm certainly no expert but would guess 1965 with a value of £4 to 5K in that sort of condition.

Cheers
    Neil

Master
    Blog Entries
    Can't see in enough detail really (and I'm far from being an expert on these) but i think it looks like it might have tritium "T"'s that are asymmetrical, so I'll go for 63?

65 would be the safe bet though, as the most common if i recall.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jneds View Post
    I'm certainly no expert but would guess 1965 with a value of £4 to 5K in that sort of condition.

Cheers
    Neil
    With the back story and originality, I'd say that's far short :-) I took about 5 takes before I started to closely scrutinise it and then approach the owner; couldn't believe I was seeing straight lugs!

It looks like a 105.003 "Ed White " (1965) imo , straight lugs , pre -moon and pre -pro . I would say £4-£5k in that condition .

Well, it could date from '63 to '66, impossible to tell from photographs. I love the fact you spotted this and spoke with the guy to appraise him of the importance and value. I don't believe the 1 owner (unless there's a story there) from new will affect the value much, it's all about originality and overall condition. Very few will have original hands after all this time but, frankly none of this matters - I simply love the fact that the owner wore it every day and appreciated it for what it is rather than for any monetary value. Great spot you uber watch geek!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier View Post
    Well, it could date from '63 to '66, impossible to tell from photographs. I love the fact you spotted this and spoke with the guy to appraise him of the importance and value. I don't believe the 1 owner (unless there's a story there) from new will affect the value much, it's all about originality and overall condition. Very few will have original hands after all this time but, frankly none of this matters - I simply love the fact that the owner wore it every day and appreciated it for what it is rather than for any monetary value. Great spot you uber watch geek!
    That's me!

I gave him my email address so if he emails me, I'll ask more questions about its "life" :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Great spot and really good story - the watch and the post