closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Old style titanium ABC watch

Old style titanium ABC watch

I recently picked this up.

It is the PRT-4000 and is the only all metal triple sensor Protrek that Casio ever made. It dates from 1998 and at the time was the most expensive basic model watch that Casio had ever made. Its price would not be exceeded until the mid 2000s MRGs.

It is all titanium with a satin finish and just some polished highlights.

It is a full ABC (Altimeter, barometer and compass) watch with a temperature function in addition.
    As well as the usual auto memory function for altitude, which records Min/Max and the time and date achieved, it has a specific recall memory function with time and date for temperature, barometer. and compass bearing. This could be quite useful for just inputting to remember specific events. It also has an altitude alarm which could be useful to check that you have reached your desired position. You can set a reference altitude to check metres climbed from start.

It has five ordinary alarms in addition to the altitude alarm, which are for a full 20 seconds, which I prefer and has a 24 stopwatch, together with auto light.

It counts the seconds with segments around the dial a feature I like.

In time keeping mode you can show the full day and date or display the temperature, barometer reading and a pressure graph for the last 26 hours.

The bezel turns smoothly and holds quite well. The crystal is domed and gives very good visibility.

The watch is a large one being 56 mm wide and 52 mm long but comparatively slim at just 13 mm thick. The watch is comparatively light though being all titanium in construction. It wears well despite its size the relatively small crystal area reduces its observed size.

The crystal is domed and gives very good visibility.

It has an auto EL illumination, together with a lumed bezel pip, which I am not sure how you would you use on this.

I already have limited edition version of this watch the PRT-4000HWJ, 'Hunting World' model. I prefer the look of this latest one though, as it is more harmonious with its fully degreed directional bezel rather than a bit of half and half as on the limited edition.

Some wrist shots.

So a rare, Japan only, watch that was never sold in the West. Casio have never gone back to making an all titanium Protrek, it reserves that construction just for its MRG range with G Shocks and ABC watches.

It is a bit of an old fashioned bruiser but with great usable features, any thoughts out there?

Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 26th August 2016 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    any thoughts out there?
    Yeah, I have a thought. You've posted this in WT and haven't included a price.

It looks every inch a watch from the 90s but I can't help but want that.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa Hotel View Post

It looks every inch a watch from the 90s but I can't help but want that.

Yes I do like these old style Casio's, they have a sort of unashamed brutal style.

This one is very well made with a quality feel throughout, it feels great on the wrist, light but feels bulletproof.

It can also be worn with anything even though on paper it is a huge watch it is only 13mm thick. However, in common with a lot of Protreks and G Shocks they might be wide but they are also comparatively short watches so there is no question of any bracelet overhang and they can fir centrally on the wrist.

Mitch

I can see there is a lot of interest in this watch, so here is a size comparison with one of Casio's recent 'giant' sensor watches the Gulfmaster.

The Protrek is a bit wider but a lot slimmer and therefore will fit well enough under most shirt cuffs.

Mitch