closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The birth of the Seiko diver's watch

The birth of the Seiko diver's watch

Whatever you may think about Seiko’s contribution to horology, there is no denying that they have produced a number of bona fide classics since the early 1960’s. The most conspicuous of these in the collective WIS consciousness are the 150m diver’s watches produced in the 20 years between 1965 and 1985. The 62MAS, 6105 and 6309 were three completely different watches in terms of design but also part of a clear evolutionary line. If 1965 marked the start of the official evolution of pukka Seiko diver’s watches in the creation of the 62MAS, then is it possible to define the point at which the twinkle in the eye of that process was formed? The answer to that question is arguably the Seikomatic Silver Wave, produced from 1961 and whose story and origins are explored here.

Martin
    Last edited by MartinCRC; 4th March 2018 at 17:24.

Banned
    I have never heard of it but will read your link thanks.

Master
    Great article Martin, very interesting read.

Master
    There must be something in the air, I'm hoping that the postman will bring a (different) Seikomatic by the end of the day, there are some really stylish ones out there.

Lovely diving watch, and one I'd not seen - though with a slightly bewildering dial when it comes to actually telling the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Lovely diving watch, and one I'd not seen - though with a slightly bewildering dial when it comes to actually telling the time!
    I agree about the dial. It is somewhat stunning but unless you are blessed with perfect near vision, discerning in which direction the hour and minute hands are pointing can be a challenge :)

Martin

That is a lovely Silverwave Martin and a great article. Many thanks for posting it.

A lot of people think Seiko dive watches began with the 62mas, - not so, it's predecessor the Silverwave is often overlooked. The Starburst 50m is an odd one, its confusing dial and hands make it almost impossible to read the time when it's out of the water, let alone in it. But this watch has an important place in the history of Seiko dive watches. Strangely, the 50m version was followed by a 30m version which dispensed with the two-piece screw down caseback in favour of a press on cover. The majority of Silverwaves were produced with an attractive easier to read dial. I have just acquired a 30m version with a black dial and a late production July 1965 serial number. This dates it after the first 62mas from April 1965.

Here's my Starburst 50m from 1963:

Interesting read

The Silver Wave is a lovely looking thing

Quote Originally Posted by Jim W View Post
    That is a lovely Silverwave Martin and a great article. Many thanks for posting it.
    Strangely, the 50m version was followed by a 30m version which dispensed with the two-piece screw down caseback in favour of a press on cover.
    I don't think the 30m was a successor, but simply a budget version of the 50m. The 50m watches were demonstrably higher end watches, sitting within the Seikomatic range; the later 30m watches part of the Sportsmatic range and sharing virtually nothing in common with the 50m watch other, perhaps, than the crown design. Nevertheless, all of the Silver Waves from this era are lovely, desirable watches. I really like them. Thanks for showing us yours.

Martin

Good information Martin. I didn't realise that. I always see the 30m Silverwaves are later than the 50m. I just love them though. The 50m doesn't turn up as often as the 30m. I guess that's because the 30m were a budget model.

The 30m did come later than the 50m but I don't think it was intended as a successor because it was pitched at a lower price point and spec level. Neither are especially easy to find though!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk