closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Portuguese cronograph Iwc as a dress watch

Craftsman

Portuguese cronograph Iwc as a dress watch

What do you think of a purchase of this model (new) for 6 000 euros? White dial, blue arrow...

I wouldn't go with a bulky chronograph if I was looking for something dressy. And €6K can get you a far better watch than a generic-movement IWC.

Of course, that's just my opinion; I could be wrong. ;)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    I wouldn't go with a bulky chronograph if I was looking for something dressy. And €6K can get you a far better watch than a generic-movement IWC.

bulky?

may not be to your taste but bulky it isnt

The IWC Portuguese Chrono isn't bulky at all, in fact I find it rather elegant and dressy. However I have to agree that I could never justify paying 6,000 Euros for it....

Master
    It works pretty well, but it depends how academic you want to be with the term "dress watch" because technically a dress watch shouldn't even have a seconds hand....

Either way, the Portuguese 3717 is beautiful. It is surprisingly thick but "looks" thinner than it is. The design is fantastic and I would not hesitate to wear this every day with a suit. After the price rise it is now over £6K for an ETA chronograph which for me is somewhat high considering I can get a JLC chronograph for that price.

Bulky?
    Its not bulky at all its about 10.5mm thick(my wrists are 6.5 inches approx and fits easily under a cuff , never found it too big/bulky )

The movement has been very heavily modified by IWC and has been thinned down etc

The Portuguese is of the most classy/elegant new a watches available to buy ,infant its the watch I get most compliments on by how nice it looks.

Master
    I didn't buy one because I found it less bulky than I prefer.

Master
    There's one with a black face on Watchfinder now for £4K

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've owned around 3 Portuguese, bulky they are not but the straps seem to wear out very quickly.

The cream face with blue hands is definitely the one to buy.

Craftsman
    Thank you for the tips.

Master
    agree it may not conform to ideals on a dress watch but its the dressiest watch i own, and the one id wear with a suit

I bought a new 3714-45 (white face, gold numerals and hands, blue chrono hands) in 2012. It is certainly a stunningly beautiful watch but I recently sold it as I simply didn't wear it. I can't get hung up on the definition of a dress watch having (or not having) certain features/characteristics and I bought it as a dress watch and it filled that slot admirably. However, I realised I don't wear a dress watch often. I would buy a watch you like and don't buy new unless there's a very good reason to; you can get mint second hand for a great deal less. Mine is now with Iconic HERE and is absolutely mint.
    Last edited by Skier; 25th August 2016 at 18:36.

Craftsman
    Skier, nice choice... a beautiful watch!!!

As times and tastes change, what describes a dress watch for the 21st century ?
    To my mind it should be elegant, with a minimum of complications.

I always pick the Dornbluth 99.0 as a watch to wear with a dinner jacket.

At 44mm you might argue that it is oversize, but the hand-wind movement gives it a stylishly low-profile.
    Worn with a dark blue 'gator strap, it always looks the part and is a great conversation piece with fellow diners who can't quite place what it is !

I would love to have a JLC Master ultra-thin in gold, but how often would I wear it without a black-tie ?

The IWC Portugeser chrono is an excellent all-rounder, and at home in most situations.

No problem, I love the raffish contradiction of slight ambiguity in classical tool watch worn as dress watch, why I've just bought a LLD.

Quote Originally Posted by cyrusir View Post
    bulky?

may not be to your taste but bulky it isnt

Perhaps not compared to some of the oversized diver's watches out there, but by dress watch standards, I'd say it's on the chunky side. 7750s aren't exactly known for being svelte...

image credit: escapementmagazine.com

...and it's 41 mm of almost pure dial, so I find that it wears substantially larger than the diameter might suggest.

Master

Perhaps not compared to some of the oversized diver's watches out there, but by dress watch standards, I'd say it's on the chunky side. 7750s aren't exactly known for being svelte...

image credit: escapementmagazine.com

...and it's 41 mm of almost pure dial, so I find that it wears substantially larger than the diameter might suggest.
    I'd argue that 10,5mm isn't chunky and it's probably one of the thinnest 7750 baser watch out there

Surely the dial makes it look bigger rather than wear bigger

Craftsman
    I definitely will buy one.... But for 6k, not for sure.

Yes, if it were 10.5 mm, that would indeed be impressive for any self-winding chronograph — let alone one using the 7750, or its SW500 clone that's in newer examples — but it's nearly 20% thicker at 12.5 mm. That's about the same as a typical diver's watch, which I suppose still isn't bad for a chrono. Slim it ain't, though.

Agreed that "looks bigger" is a more exact way of putting it.

Master
    Yes, if it were 10.5 mm, that would indeed be impressive for any self-winding chronograph — let alone one using the 7750, or its SW500 clone that's in newer examples — but it's nearly 20% thicker at 12.5 mm. That's about the same as a typical diver's watch, which I suppose still isn't bad for a chrono. Slim it ain't, though.

i do think it wears its 'relative' thickness quite well, and ive never had any issue with it slipping under a shirt cuff, but i take the point

The Portuguese chrono is 10.9mm thick ,not 12..5mm (it doesnt wear as bulky either )

OP go and try the portuguese on !

Quote Originally Posted by jonny View Post
    The Portuguese chrono is 10.9mm thick ,not 12..5mm (it doesnt wear as bulky either )

OP go and try the portuguese on !

It is 12.3mm thick as per the IWC website:

• Case height 12.3 mm
    • Diameter 40.9 mm

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    It is 12.3mm thick as per the IWC website:
    My apologies, it does wear thin and not bulky under the cuff (6.5 inch wrists) I love mine!

It's a lovely watch indeed but those who say it's not thick are blinded by their love for it. the watch deserves a thinner, smoother calibre; it would also help to justify the price tag...

Craftsman
    The watch is thiner than the average... Bulky no way.... I bought it and I don't regret!
    It has personality and is a classy watchOS!

Master
    There will be a new portuguiese with the updated movement releasing soon if that is of any interest and will house the new Lower end chronograph caliber introduced by IWC this year. It will start in the ingeniuer limited edition but will be incoorporated into the portuguese. Not to be confused with the higher end chronograph caliber in the Portuguese Chronograph CLassic.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Not to be confused with the higher end chronograph caliber in the Portuguese Chronograph CLassic.
    which is properly thick