closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: eBay now charge for ending item early, even when unsold!!!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bloater View Post
    We sell on there at work. It's all about volume, due to low profit margins and thieving buyers.
    eBay accounts for around 8% of our online sales yet around 90% of our complaints and over 99% of the items not received complaints, dispute us sending stuff out via the same methods.
    We just refund the complaints now, it's easier than spending time answering emails from numptys and trying to make eBay and PayPal see sense.

PayPal are worse than eBay currently we have an issue where they want to do a charge back for just under a grand it started as goods being delivered that hadn't been ordered. The customer had changed the colour via email so we had to send prove of shipping, tracking details, invoice and also correspondence to show change of colour. Case settled in our favour.
    Fast forward a week and he is trying to claim from Visa for fraudulent use of his card, so PayPal again want to do a charge back so we have to show everything again, it's crazy.

Yep. eBay is a buyers/scammers dream. Friend of mine sold something with a slightly damaged box. This was fully photographed and described. Buyer filed a claim to get some money back (and won). Then the buyer got back in touch asking if my friend had any more like that, as it was a bargain.

I mean, come on!

:smilie: yes!

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Walesy View Post
    I just wont sell on ebay at all, but did see they were going to charge for unsold/ended early items
    I have never been communicated this, does anyone have a link to where it stated this please.

Thumbs up Obviously not making enough money (billions) from ripping off sellers

Looks like eBay are 'wielding the big stick' again, in an effort to try and clamp down on 'back door' sales. This morning, I received an email advising changes to the eBay User Agreement, effective one month from today.

Here's the policy link: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...ebay-sale.html
    Last edited by Seiko7A38; 22nd September 2017 at 16:33.

My business used to sell on eBay but we stopped some time ago for the reasons already stated above, it's full of bottom feeding opportunists who use eBays extreme buyer protection rules to commit fraud.

Craftsman
    I got that email this morning as well, they reserve the right to charge a fee for their monitoring and enforcement !!! I’ve advertised watches before on both eBay and forums (cheaper on the forum as no fees involved) but now if it sells on a forum you will be charged fees by eBay, scandalo

Quote Originally Posted by boundary546 View Post
    I got that email this morning as well, they reserve the right to charge a fee for their monitoring and enforcement !!! I’ve advertised watches before on both eBay and forums (cheaper on the forum as no fees involved) but now if it sells on a forum you will be charged fees by eBay, scandalo
    A couple of points: I doubt eBay will be able see what you did elsewhere with the item and you may be charged fees. ;-) I've cancelled a couple of auctions but never had eBay question it. I imagine they would be looking at a sellers history and taking that into account, e.g. if the seller has a history of cancelling auctions.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
    My business used to sell on eBay but we stopped some time ago for the reasons already stated above, it's full of bottom feeding opportunists who use eBays extreme buyer protection rules to commit fraud.
    Very well said and this is why I would rather give something away than sell it on eBay as I cannot be doing with dishonest deadbeats!

Quote Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
    . You either end up feeling ripped off by their fees (charging commission on postage which they don't even supply..... Come on) or .
    Price £5.00

Postage £45.00

Is how many sellers were listing - a £45 item.

Dunno...I sold mostly vintage watches on eBay for 15 years and the new policy seems logical to me. When you list a watch on eBay, it's for 4 days or 7 days or 10 days. If you plan to market your watch through other channels simultaneously during that contract period, it's not fair to eBay, since their listing fees are so dirt cheap (or free). They are running a business for profit, not for charitable purposes. They should be compensated for providing sellers with a worldwide platform to advertise their sale items.

Master
    If you don't like ebays terms, go somewhere else. They are a business and don't need cancellations.

eBay now charge for ending item early, even when unsold!!!

On the face of it what has happened here seems harsh, but on the other hand completely justifiable given you are advertising to such a large audience through their services

I just had my account suspended for allegedly selling outside of ebay despite the fact that the buyer clicked "buy it now", paid for the item and left feedback through ebay. Apparently they booted me out because I sent my contact details before he bought the item. In their eyes you are not allowed to go and see an item (potentially costing thousands of pounds) before you agree to buy it, you have to buy it blind. Couple that with their ridiculously one sided buyer protection scheme and it's as if ebay are trying to make selling so risky (and costly) that no one in their right mind would do it. For me, ebay is now the very last of last resorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    I just had my account suspended for allegedly selling outside of ebay despite the fact that the buyer clicked "buy it now", paid for the item and left feedback through ebay. Apparently they booted me out because I sent my contact details before he bought the item. In their eyes you are not allowed to go and see an item (potentially costing thousands of pounds) before you agree to buy it, you have to buy it blind. Couple that with their ridiculously one sided buyer protection scheme and it's as if ebay are trying to make selling so risky (and costly) that no one in their right mind would do it. For me, ebay is now the very last of last resorts.
    I had my account suspended for giving someone my phone number so they could make a collection, they had already paid for the item on PayPal.

The problem with Ebay is that it operates across borders, because there is so little regulation or enforcement, they can do what they like. not long ago I bought an item for work and was charged VAT, we gave up trying to get a VAT receipt.

I got suspended a few months back for giving my address details to a potential buyer.

He was interested in an Endura jacket I had, knowing that Endura stuff can come up small, and that he was only about 5mls away he asked if he could try it on first.

This seem to be a fair and prudent request, so I duly passed on my details. He came, the jacket was indeed to small.
    Ebay then suspended me for breaching policy, and would not even answer any of the messages I sent to request they discuss the matter with me.
    The fact that the jacket remained listed, and has been relisted since did not seem to hold any sway with them.

In contrast, the next time a buyer asked for details, i explained I could not supply them and they would need to go through whatever channels Ebay supplied to get the information.
    Now there either isn't one, or perhaps they could not be bothered, so bought the item, its not suitable and now we both have to waste time and money with the return!

K

I've said for many years that the main problem with ebay is no effective competition. They've bought out all their competitors, while at the same time abusing their market position over and over again.

If a really big player could enter the online auction market, someone like Virgin perhaps, I think many ebayers would move. I haven't heard anyone say anything positive about them for a very long time.

The ebay model now seems to be essentially classifieds and business sellers. They offer very little protection to individuals anymore.

I have been on there since the year 2000, and used to use it continuously, now I tend to go to Amazon instead for purchases and I rarely, if ever sell anything at all on ebay. And I haven't bought or sold a watch on there in years.
    So clever my foot fell off.

I just cancelled my eBay account, its just not worth the hassle & risk for selling stuff these days.

Master
    I had the same problem asking for address and contacts details from a seller I had already purchased the item from. I was paying cash so no Paypal address details.

In the end I wrote my details of a piece of paper, took a pic and sent it as an image to the seller. Only time before they pickup on that one...

Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    That's interesting and not too surprising given that zee germans are sticklers for zee rules!

I worked for a German multinational for over ten years.

We had a common saying " For the English something is allowed unless it is specifically forbidden and for the Germans something is forbidden unless it is specifically allowed"

Quote Originally Posted by Pubdweller View Post
    We had a common saying " For the English something is allowed unless it is specifically forbidden and for the Germans something is forbidden unless it is specifically allowed"
    And in Russia, nothing is allowed but anything is possible.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master

Thumbs up

Having had my eBay account for 14 years I've never had so much grief as selling my watches over the last few months.

Seems crazy to me that us private sellers selling 2nd hand stuff have to give 30 day return even if you state 'no returns'

The eBay fees are extortionate and then you get PayPal fees on top too and how do they get away with fees on postage? I've no idea how people can make a living on there. I sold a lot of my collection and thought I'd done ok then you get a huge bill that always seems way worse than you'd imagine. Then look in PayPal and see the money they've taken there again!

Mind you I blame a lot of bad feeling (not the cost obviously) on scum buyers. I've had people hold on to stuff for nearly the month and start a return. People have stuff a couple of weeks and clearly break it and then start a return to say it turned up broken (it's amazing how many people were on holiday when it turned up & was signed for by someone else). People buying automatic watches and asking why it's stopped (I mean do people really buy expensive items when don't even know how they work?). Then the sheer amount of 'buyers' who either wait days to pay or don't pay.

I sold a watch the other day with a fault (dim light on a digital) and I clearly stated so in the listing with its own paragraph (not hidden or glossed over like most people) the buyer received it and started a return because of the fault! He even left me negative feedback before even contacting (my 1st in 14 years) all because he didn't read the advert.

I absolutely hate it now but until an alternative, there's not a lot of choice on such a platform.