closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 18th Birthday Inspiration

18th Birthday Inspiration

It's my daughters 18th birthday soon and she's suggested she'd quite like a watch. She already has/wears my 1930's Rolex tank on leather and perhaps wants something different. Trying to avoid the Michael Kors fashion crap sort of thing and so showed her my watches as a starting point. Surprisingly she liked my 5513 but thought it perhaps a bit big. She's always liked my Gran Sport reverso but again, a bit big. On the other hand she finds my wife's ladies reverso and cartier a bit small. The best I can do to guide is that she likes the idea of a bracelet and round. I really don't know whether to look at women's watches (which I know nowt about) or try to find a mens watch of a reasonable size. Ideally, would like to get a proper watch...ie not a fashion trinket.

So...any suggestions or inspiration? I'm a bit stuck.

Smaller size Explorer 1 ? Bigger than the usual ladies Rolex, but smaller than most sports models.

I think the 556 mother of pearl dial would make a great ladies watch, could be a bit big though
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    It's my daughters 18th birthday soon and she's suggested she'd quite like a watch. She already has/wears my 1930's Rolex tank on leather and perhaps wants something different. Trying to avoid the Michael Kors fashion crap sort of thing and so showed her my watches as a starting point. Surprisingly she liked my 5513 but thought it perhaps a bit big. She's always liked my Gran Sport reverso but again, a bit big. On the other hand she finds my wife's ladies reverso and cartier a bit small. The best I can do to guide is that she likes the idea of a bracelet and round. I really don't know whether to look at women's watches (which I know nowt about) or try to find a mens watch of a reasonable size. Ideally, would like to get a proper watch...ie not a fashion trinket.

Ask her...

Master
    Blog Entries
    SMP300 mid size?
    Wife loves hers.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    I think the 556 mother of pearl dial would make a great ladies watch, could be a bit big though
    I think Sinn maybe do a smaller watch that's got a slightly 556esqe case and a MOP dial

Edit: here we are, the 28mm 456

Last edited by Der Amf; 16th August 2016 at 00:15.

Sinn 556 might be a bit off proportionally. It's 38mm, but it's a tall watch and looks and feels quite substantial.

Ask her a few questions about brands

It is unlikely that an 18 year old will want something that isn't a recognised brand amongst their peers. Something from Cartier might tick all the boxes .... Tank Francaise or Ballon Bleu in all steel, mid-size would be a starting point

Master
    Try not to be too snobby about branding/fashion/etc. - she's an 18 year-old girl, not a 40 year-old watch geek. To that extent, from my experience I'd imagine she may well get far more pleasure from one of the "fashion crap" watches you mention (which are designed to go with the outfits she wears, the models/IGers she followers, etc.) than something which has far more horological provenance.

Her friends are going to complement her on the look of her watch, not its movement calibre, and she'll match her outfits and jewelry to its overall look/style, not its 18k rotor or its 904L steel specs. Moreover if she's off to uni any time soon, I doubt carrying 3k+ on her wrist on wasted nights out or laying round her room is a particularly good idea.

I bought my other half a gorgeous Michael Kors watch in rose gold plating a few years back (this one) and she's loved it ever since - it looks absolutely brilliant with everything she wears. Call it a "fashion trinket" all you want but it's made her very happy over the years - she has free run of my rather nice collection (Rolex, AP, Tudor, Omega, etc.) and still prefers hers.

No point getting her a 4k Cartier just to appease your own WIS views if a 200 quid Michael Kors would make her happier - remember, you're buying for her, not for you ;) . Take her shopping and let her have a look at a few high end and low end watches, and try not to impose your views on her too much. Ultimately it'll be better for her to have something she loves the look of every time she looks at her wrist rather than something her dad tells her is good.
    Last edited by ddm27; 16th August 2016 at 06:48.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dandanthewatchman View Post
    Ask her a few questions about brands

It is unlikely that an 18 year old will want something that isn't a recognised brand amongst their peers. Something from Cartier might tick all the boxes .... Tank Francaise or Ballon Bleu in all steel, mid-size would be a starting point
    Depending on the peers, if they're teenage girls I think they'd be more likely to recognise Michael Kors/Jacob whatshisname/Burberry/etc. rather than Cartier etc.!

Craftsman
    I have milestone birthdays for both daughter and wife coming and both want watches. They have been looking at the Tag ladies Aquaracer range and Oris ladies range.

I bought my wife an early 1960s Rolex Royal a few years ago. It cost something like £800, and the service from Duncan Potter was around £400. It looks superb on her - not too small and not too big - and she wears it all the time.

An Air-King might be a good option, a few of them seem to come with bracelets. Duncan did a superb job on my wife's watch, it came back looking perfect.
    "A man of little significance"

Banned
    I would think what it is she likes about the ones she admires - is it the Rolex name, the design, the vintage aspect?

Personally, I would say the best couple of watches for females are the 34mm Cartier Santos 100 (black or pink strap options) or the 35mm midsize Rolex Yachtmaster.

Both are actually mens watches, but at 34/35mm, as opposed to sub 30mm typical in womens watches, they are certainly more what an 18 year old would want to wear.

For her 21st 2 years ago my daughter chose, and still wears, a Seiko SKX013 on the jubilee bracelet. That was ahead watches 20 times the price.

If she already has a dressy Rolex something well below the radar might fit the bill.

Many thanks for the responses so far. Some excellent ideas to explore.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I've been looking for a similar item for my wife's impending 40th and Nomos look good on ladies - no bracelet though...

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post

Cartier Ballon bleu?

comes in 33m and 36mm. (and 42mm too)

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    Try not to be too snobby about branding/fashion/etc. - she's an 18 year-old girl, not a 40 year-old watch geek. To that extent, from my experience I'd imagine she may well get far more pleasure from one of the "fashion crap" watches you mention (which are designed to go with the outfits she wears, the models/IGers she followers, etc.) than something which has far more horological provenance.

Her friends are going to complement her on the look of her watch, not its movement calibre, and she'll match her outfits and jewelry to its overall look/style, not its 18k rotor or its 904L steel specs. Moreover if she's off to uni any time soon, I doubt carrying 3k+ on her wrist on wasted nights out or laying round her room is a particularly good idea.

I bought my other half a gorgeous Michael Kors watch in rose gold plating a few years back (this one) and she's loved it ever since - it looks absolutely brilliant with everything she wears. Call it a "fashion trinket" all you want but it's made her very happy over the years - she has free run of my rather nice collection (Rolex, AP, Tudor, Omega, etc.) and still prefers hers.

No point getting her a 4k Cartier just to appease your own WIS views if a 200 quid Michael Kors would make her happier - remember, you're buying for her, not for you ;) . Take her shopping and let her have a look at a few high end and low end watches, and try not to impose your views on her too much. Ultimately it'll be better for her to have something she loves the look of every time she looks at her wrist rather than something her dad tells her is good.
    This was a good answer. Most girls I know, including my SO seem to love the "Michael Kors" type of fashion trinkets a lot more than "real" watches. Hell, my friend bought a Tag to his daughter upon graduation but she wears only her Daniel Wellington.

I would ask, or just take her to visit jewelers and pick the one she likes most without pushing anything too much.
    Last edited by Foucault717; 17th August 2016 at 00:43.

Sister received a Cartier Tank for her 18th. Wears it to work now. Timeless.

Master
    Here's an idea. How about a cheaper watch - whatever she likes the look of - now and can go through uni/the next few years with, and then a "proper" watch for her 21st birthday (which would also likely coincide with her first job!). She'll appreciate it more and it'll be at an appropriate stage in her lives - no-one wants to be the rich kid with a Rolex at uni.

I can't help but think that if I'd immediately been given a Rolex, Omega, etc. as a child I'd never have been able to truly appreciate a decent watch - it would just be standard.

Master
    What did you go with in the end?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post

Greetings, new member here, great post here, seems to sum it all up IMHO.