closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Patek Nautilus - anybody sold several watches to add one to their collection

Master
    Blog Entries

Patek Nautilus - anybody sold several watches to add one to their collection

The gas for a Ceramic Daytona came but surprisingly went very quickly, however I still have this crazy itch for a 5711 or 5712 Nautilus.

Anybody sacrificed several watches for one with no regrets?

I would prob have to let at least 3 go from my collection.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'd happily get rid of the top row and get the Aquanaut instead, as I prefer it to the Nautilus.

Have you handled either of those Nautilus models? I would worry that buying either based just on pictures runs a major risk of being underwhelmed in reality.

Interesting this

I have 3 watches and sometimes think this is too much. So yes I would in your case.

Out for me would be - Daytona/explorer/omega

do it do it

Which Nautilus? Would be 5712a for me

Cheers

Journeyman
    Yes, sold off most of my collection and bought a steel 5980- was the right choice for me and I'd do it again.

dc

Master
    Sold most of my collection to buy a 5712 and a 5164a in an attempt to get down to a couple of watches.
    Both are lovely pieces but I suffer from flipperitits so both now gone and I'm back to 8 other watches and some GShocks.

If I had my sensible head on I would have settled for those two, but I dont and didnt :(

I am bound to say go for it having just done the same for thing to secure an Aquanaut - you may have seen my thread on that and I received plenty of support from the guys on here.

In reality you have three choices, sell the watches and stash the cash then buy the PP watch outright or try a part exchange package, or sell a few and then part exchange a single watch with the cash from the others.

The tricky bit is finding a watch for sale. If you put your name on an ADs list for a Nautilus you are looking at several years, as many as five. Second hand, which in a few cases means a brand new watch for a 5711 will be between £22k and £25k depending on the dealer. The Aquanaut may be easier to source, people have suggested that they have seen them in stock at £13.75k RRP, but my AD quoted a 12 month waiting list. Second hand prices for a 5167a are in the £14.5k to £16k range, but again some of those are brand new.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress.
    Ken

Master
    Definitely goodbye Deepsea and the Sub.

I'd struggle to pick a 3rd there, good mix after the above 2 have gone

Master
    I would too, though as others have said probably for an Aquanaut rather than a Nautilus.

I am fortunate enough to have quite a few Nautilus, the Aquanaut and 4 of the 6 watches you have. If I were you I would get rid of the Sub, DSSD and the Omega.
    In terms of the choice between Nautilus and Aquanaut - I would have to say that the Aquanaut is overall the better value for money watch and is incredibly versatile.

What a dilemma to have:)

There is a lot of overlap in what you have with multiple current Rolexes, so I would rationalise some for a Patek.

Which ones to move on is a personal choice, but for me the DSSD and Daytona would be the first to go.

The 5711 is the "hot" Patek, but aesthetically I far prefer the Aquanaut

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The boredom that comes from having fewer to choose from [can be a good thing for some ?] and lack of variety.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post
    Sold most of my collection to buy a 5712 and a 5164a in an attempt to get down to a couple of watches.
    Both are lovely pieces but I suffer from flipperitits so both now gone and I'm back to 8 other watches and some GShocks.

As said in another thread, I am currently weighing up a very similar option. I have a few Panerai and am trying to decided in my mind my favourite between my 232 and 587 and that one along with my Rolex DSSD will be going to put towards an Aquanaut. It'd give my collection a nice bit of variety then a few more options for me. If I could decided which Panerai to get rid of I'd be on with the search for the PP already.

I need variety - so at least 4-5 watches plus a few 'beaters'. I had considered selling a few and then going the PP route then realised I'd still miss those that went. Also at this moment in time it seems too much money for me to be tied in one watch.

So in the end I'll wait till I'm filthy rich and don't care about overpaying list for a nautilus

Don't most the people who reduce their collection to one watch - or to one main watch with a couple of occasional ones - do so once they find that there's one watch in their collection has rendered most of the others obsolete? ie it's experience, not planning, that reveals The One Watch?

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thenikjones View Post
    Have you handled either of those Nautilus models? I would worry that buying either based just on pictures runs a major risk of being underwhelmed in reality.
    No I have not, for the last year ive simply dribbled over pics etc however I believe I know what I'm getting into with regards to size, form and factor etc. Im back over soon so the plan could be to get on the list now and try one in the meantime during the wait period and change my mind if need be during the "wait" period. I was told some Patek Salons now have demo / non working models? Not sure if that applies to London?? I guess I could hope to get lucky and try the usual London grey dealers or maybe buy someone here a pint if they are in central London for a quick meet / look! At the end of the day none of my models are rare so guess would be a pretty easy transition back if need be etc

Quote Originally Posted by joethetoe View Post

Which Nautilus? Would be 5712a for me
    I was hellbent on the 5712a however over the last few months I'm starting to really appreciate that stunning simple 5711 dial. This is prob as hard a decision as deciding which ones to flip. On another forum somebody had the same dilemma and were advised to start with the 5711 and go from there due to it being harder to obtain then the 5712 (not sure if still true) and of course its slightly cheaper. Sound advice maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by Coot View Post

If I had my sensible head on I would have settled for those two, but I dont and didnt :(
    LOL - full circle!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    I am bound to say go for it having just done the same for thing to secure an Aquanaut - you may have seen my thread on that and I received plenty of support from the guys on here.

In reality you have three choices, sell the watches and stash the cash then buy the PP watch outright or try a part exchange package, or sell a few and then part exchange a single watch with the cash from the others.

The tricky bit is finding a watch for sale. If you put your name on an ADs list for a Nautilus you are looking at several years, as many as five. Second hand, which in a few cases means a brand new watch for a 5711 will be between £22k and £25k depending on the dealer. The Aquanaut may be easier to source, people have suggested that they have seen them in stock at £13.75k RRP, but my AD quoted a 12 month waiting list. Second hand prices for a 5167a are in the £14.5k to £16k range, but again some of those are brand new.

Good luck and keep us posted on progress.
    Ken
    Hi Ken, yes your thread has been somewhat influential and I'm glad to see you have no regrets!! Fortunately (due to a connection) I have been quoted a pretty damn quick wait time (2017) so not concerned about the wait aspect. The plan would be to get rid of a few whilst I wait, guess it would be 2 or 3 and a bit of cash depending on which 5711 / 5712.

Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Definitely goodbye Deepsea and the Sub.

I'd struggle to pick a 3rd there, good mix after the above 2 have gone
    Are you referring to the Black sub or Hulk? The ones I am edging to flip are the ones which have recently been changed by Rolex. E.g. DSSD (now Deep Blue option) and Explorer. Therefore if I ever miss them I could re-obtain and "upgrade" the models at the same time. Its the third watch that gives me a headache as I have recently really bonded with my "older" Daytona, in fact so much it killed off my gas for the ceramic version completely (for now).

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    I would too, though as others have said probably for an Aquanaut rather than a Nautilus.
    I must admit I am intrigued by the Aquanaut but that Nautilus blue dial is a killer for me :)

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    I am fortunate enough to have quite a few Nautilus, the Aquanaut and 4 of the 6 watches you have. If I were you I would get rid of the Sub, DSSD and the Omega.
    In terms of the choice between Nautilus and Aquanaut - I would have to say that the Aquanaut is overall the better value for money watch and is incredibly versatile.
    The black sub is my daily wearer, kind of my beater as you guys say (though I wouldn't do anything crazy with it). Although I'm a huge Bond fan the SPECTRE Omega would prob be the next on the chopping list, so maybe DSSD / Explorer / Omega.

I like variety (especially colour) so I guess would make sense for the DSSD to go as its kind of duplication (Black sub on steroids), the Omega is yet another black ceramic diver in the collection so guess narrowing 3 black divers down to 1 makes sense. The Explorer is the closest thing I have to a sporty (but casual) watch I own which I guess a Nautilus would replace nicely.

I guess 3 Rolex and a Nautilus would give me pretty nice variety. 1 Black, 1 Green, 1 white dialled Rolex and a Blue Nautilus.

Much appreciated for all your insight!
    Last edited by kultschar; 15th August 2016 at 13:26.

Have you considered the AP 15202? I personally prefer it to the Nautilus and Aquanaut both in photos and in real life. It's the only steel watch that would tempt me to swap out few of mine, but its complex and fine finishing gives me pause, particularly now as a father-to-be. Maybe when I grow up. ;)

But the principle of consolidating is a sound one. And modern Rolex — though excellent — are replaceable if you change your mind. Maybe hang on to the Daytona for the sake of variety, plus it could be tricky to find another one in such great shape now that they aren't making any more of them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    Much appreciated for all your insight!
    No need to thank us - always much easier to tell other people what to do with their collections than make one's own mind up!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Have you considered the AP 15202? I personally prefer it to the Nautilus and Aquanaut both in photos and in real life.

But the principle of consolidating is a sound one. And modern Rolex — though excellent — are replaceable if you change your mind. Maybe hang on to the Daytona for the sake of variety, plus it could be tricky to find another one in such great shape now that they aren't making any more of them.
    Ive never really been attracted to AP's for some reason or other if I'm honest.

Yes my Daytona is in super condition - wear on Sundays usually for some daft reason (my lazy day)!!

Thinking more about it the Hulk is one I love looking at but wear very seldom. First world problems huh
    Last edited by kultschar; 15th August 2016 at 13:59.

Ive never really been attracted to AP's for some reason or other if I'm honest.

Yes my Daytona is in super condition - wear on Sundays usually for some daft reason (my lazy day)!!

Thinking more about it the Hulk is one I love looking at but wear very seldom. First world problems huh
    Indeed. ;)

Just thought I'd mention that I didn't think much of the RO either, until I actually saw it in the metal.

As far as which ones to get rid of, I agree that the Explorer seems like the obvious choice due to its similarity in purpose as a simple casual watch to the ones you're considering. I suspect you'd miss the LV even if you don't wear it as often as others; it offers something special when you do. I certainly have watches like that. And if you're considering getting rid of the Omega, probably better to do it sooner than later considering how they tend to go in value.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Indeed. ;)

Just thought I'd mention that I didn't think much of the RO either, until I actually saw it in the metal.

As far as which ones to get rid of, I agree that the Explorer seems like the obvious choice due to its similarity in purpose as a simple casual watch to the ones you're considering. I suspect you'd miss the LV even if you don't wear it as often as others; it offers something special when you do. I certainly have watches like that. And if you're considering getting rid of the Omega, probably better to do it sooner than later considering how they tend to go in value.
    I think the Omega will be okish value wise since it is the SPECTRE edition, I had the standard version previously and took a fair hit as per usual with Omega!

Yes the LV is a funny watch and your prob right!

DSSD and Explorer though for sure are two that would go and I guess the easiest to buy back in terms of modern Rolex Sports if I missed them

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by paneristi372 View Post
    As said in another thread, I am currently weighing up a very similar option. I have a few Panerai and am trying to decided in my mind my favourite between my 232 and 587 and that one along with my Rolex DSSD will be going to put towards an Aquanaut. It'd give my collection a nice bit of variety then a few more options for me. If I could decided which Panerai to get rid of I'd be on with the search for the PP already.

Think I prefer the 587 then the 232. I used to have the 372 but in the end I think it was a tad too big and the PAM bug wore off, however it was nice to experience the brand! Good luck with your decision!

The AP 15202 is the extra thin version of the Royal Oak - I have the AP 15400 and have looked at and tried the 15202 on a couple of times. In terms of looks and wrist presence the 15202 (and 15400 bigger brother) are up there with either the Nautilus and Aquanaut. The bracelet construction and the way is shimmers with light reflections is stunning on the AP. The dial on the AP is also stunning too. There are some downsides, the bracelet on the AP catches arm hairs in between the links much more than the Nautilus bracelet and the bezel on the AP is more angular and sharp edged and therefore more likely to get scuffed badly. Water resistance is much less on the 15400 and 15202 being rated at 50m as opposed to 120m on most Nautilus and the Aquanaut. Finally both the 15400 and 15202 tend to wear bigger than they are due to the way the bracelet end links are a solid part of the watch.
    Here is a shot of my 15400 on my hairy arms.

Master
    Lovely collection. I'd struggle to let any of those go. However your plan is very sound. I like the 4 colour dial idea as well. I must say that my 5711 is the only watch I really want to wear, I've had 4 rolexes in the last 12 months and 3 have gone with the last one soon to hit SC... What Der Amf said is what happened to me, my other watches are obsolete. I was hoping to like the ceramic Daytona but, like you, I'm not feeling it anymore now that I've seen it in the metal. I might have to give the aquanaut a go...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Lovely collection. I'd struggle to let any of those go. However your plan is very sound. I like the 4 colour dial idea as well. I must say that my 5711 is the only watch I really want to wear, I've had 4 rolexes in the last 12 months and 3 have gone with the last one soon to hit SC... What Der Amf said is what happened to me, my other watches are obsolete. I was hoping to like the ceramic Daytona but, like you, I'm not feeling it anymore now that I've seen it in the metal. I might have to give the aquanaut a go...
    Yes im coming around to that 4 colour dial idea the more I think about it.

May I ask what the 4 Rolex (3 discarded, 1 present) are?

Master
    Yes im coming around to that 4 colour dial idea the more I think about it.

May I ask what the 4 Rolex (3 discarded, 1 present) are?
    Sub ND, BLNR, Hulk, Vintage sub (going soon). The BLNR is the only one I regret a little, it went a couple of days ago... I still have the hulk as well but I've agreed to sell it once I'm back in the UK. The funds will go towards a zenith Daytona if I find one at a reasonable price, or an aquanaut (Ken's and Wayne's fault), or a rose gold Daytona... Real first world problems... I've also bought a couple of vintage dress watches that are seeing no wrist time at all. I guess I might just be a one watch guy.

Or...

I need to do the opposite and sell the 5711 for 2/3 rolexes...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Sub ND, BLNR, Hulk, Vintage sub (going soon). The BLNR is the only one I regret a little, it went a couple of days ago... I still have the hulk as well but I've agreed to sell it once I'm back in the UK. The funds will go towards a zenith Daytona if I find one at a reasonable price, or an aquanaut (Ken's and Wayne's fault), or a rose gold Daytona... Real first world problems... I've also bought a couple of vintage dress watches that are seeing no wrist time at all. I guess I might just be a one watch guy.

Or...

Ah ok not too far from my scenario then with your previous sporty Rolex models!!! Your decisions looks worse then mine :)

Master
    Ah ok not too far from my scenario then with your previous sporty Rolex models!!! Your decisions looks worse then mine :)
    At least I've already bought a 5711 ;-)...
    Financially the rose gold Rolex is going to be the worst option but I need to scratch the itch.

[...]The funds will go towards a zenith Daytona if I find one at a reasonable price, or an aquanaut (Ken's and Wayne's fault), or a rose gold Daytona... Real first world problems... I've also bought a couple of vintage dress watches that are seeing no wrist time at all. I guess I might just be a one watch guy.

Or...

It's worth waiting for a 16520; I can recommend it without any reservations:

As much as I appreciate the newer 116520, it hasn't been even worn since the previous version arrived this spring. The 16520 is just a more special watch to me and suits my style better. I could even do the one watch thing with it, though not with the finer/more-delicate stuff... especially considering Patek's typical service times.

Nothing wrong with consolidating, but keep a Rolex around for low-stress wearing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    At least I've already bought a 5711 ;-)...
    Financially the rose gold Rolex is going to be the worst option but I need to scratch the itch.
    Yes I like the Rosegold Daytona (with RG bracelet) also the 5712RG on strap!!! Maybe a pair when I'm old and retired :)

Master
    It's worth waiting for a 16520; I can recommend it without any reservations:

As much as I appreciate the newer 116520, it hasn't been even worn since the previous version arrived this spring. The 16520 is just a more special watch to me and suits my style better. I could even do the one watch thing with it, though not with the finer/more-delicate stuff... especially considering Patek's typical service times.

Nothing wrong with consolidating, but keep a Rolex around for low-stress wearing.
    I like that.
    The 5711 isn't that delicate.
    It took me 2 months from buying the nautilus to opening it, but for the last year it has been in the sea, at work, on holiday, etc... I can't be bother to have it as a safe queen.
    I'm not sure I'm a vintage guy but the 16520 is definitely top of the vintage list.

The AP 15202 is the extra thin version of the Royal Oak - I have the AP 15400 and have looked at and tried the 15202 on a couple of times. In terms of looks and wrist presence the 15202 (and 15400 bigger brother) are up there with either the Nautilus and Aquanaut. The bracelet construction and the way is shimmers with light reflections is stunning on the AP. The dial on the AP is also stunning too. There are some downsides, the bracelet on the AP catches arm hairs in between the links much more than the Nautilus bracelet and the bezel on the AP is more angular and sharp edged and therefore more likely to get scuffed badly. Water resistance is much less on the 15400 and 15202 being rated at 50m as opposed to 120m on most Nautilus and the Aquanaut. Finally both the 15400 and 15202 tend to wear bigger than they are due to the way the bracelet end links are a solid part of the watch.
    Here is a shot of my 15400 on my hairy arms.
    How do you find going between the 15400 and the Nautilus? In comparison I've found the Nautilus feels a bit small. So far I've tried the 5711 with white dial and the 5711r. which both felt quite small, the 5726/1a on leather strap and the 5980r on bracelet. Does it take a while on the wrist to get used to the size? strangely I have no problem with my 36mm Datejust.

Craftsman
    Dangerous thread for me at present. I'm new to this obsession but considering selling both my seamaster and BLNR to fund repurchases...my buddy (on here) tells me the unwritten rule is that watch money is forever watch money. It's immoral to spend it on anything but watches.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rgwarden View Post
    my buddy (on here) tells me the unwritten rule is that watch money is forever watch money. It's immoral to spend it on anything but watches.
    Ha - thats kind of been my view in this crazy hobby. No matter what comes and goes the money stays in the "watch pot"

Master
    Time for a photo I think:

Master
    Blog Entries
    Very nice! What size wrist?

Master
    Very nice! What size wrist?
    Never measured. I call it girly...

Time for a photo I think:

Always knew that you could walk on water

Master
    Blog Entries
    Never measured. I call it girly...
    Ive got 7.2" which may make a Naitilus feel smaller however im quite happy with my Daytona size wise

In answer to your original question, yes, I sold a '74 Rolex Milsub and 04 Rolex submariner LV and bought a PP Nautilus 5980.
    I am happy with the outcome.

Craftsman
    My current collection is a mix of Genta and Rolex. I'm quite content with it at present.

Based on your current I would advise you to sell 3 of your current collection to get a 5711 or 15202. If you can get the blue faced 5711 for near RRP then do it. If it's 22k+ I would wait, they are currently over priced at that and it's far too much above rrp to be paying. Have a look at the 15202 Royal Oak in the flesh. It's my favourite of the 4 I own.

Last edited by CVByrne; 15th August 2016 at 19:54.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Nice collection and in that top pic the 5711 dial really looks fantastic!!

As a Explorer owner (smallest I currently own) size wise how does it compare on your wrist to your Explorer? Not on about how thin and light etc but actual size on wrist.

Craftsman
    I think dial on 5711 in first pic and 15202 in 2nd pic show them in their best light.

As to your question, the Nautilus wears slightly bigger than the Explorer, I feel due to the taper of the bracelet and the case ears. There isn't much in it though. The Royal Oak wears bigger than both though, yet feels like the smallest and most comfortable on wrist when you aren't looking at it. But it's a close run thing with the 5711 for which is more comfortable. Tiny margins. Both in a different class to the two Rolex in terms of comfort and finish.

Royal Oak has drawn comments 3 times to the others zero. Two people said how understated it was, and it's got the magic of looking big when it slips out from under a cuff but is so thin it is often hidden under there.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info!

The Explorer looks quite good on my wrist and probably the smallest I would go so that is helpful to know about the Nautilus size wise.

Will def checkout the AP when im back over!
    Last edited by kultschar; 15th August 2016 at 20:22.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Always knew that you could walk on water
    Walk on water my @^$E! I've parked where I couldn't and the lovely view costed me 140 euros!!!
    There were some Chinese tourists taking videos of the tow truck guy and I arguing... I got there as they were trying to remove my car.
    I'll soon be on YouTube...

I sold several assets to buy my yellow gold Rolex 41mm Day Date - no regrets.......
    It's like selling 3 or 4 average hot hatches to buy a Porsche 911- what feels more special?

Master
    I love the watch, but there is absolutely nothing "value for money" about a steel, time-only, three-hander with a rubber strap for fourteen thousand quid!!! ;)

Blog Entries
    Walk on water my @^$E! I've parked where I couldn't and the lovely view costed me 140 euros!!!
    There were some Chinese tourists taking videos of the tow truck guy and I arguing... I got there as they were trying to remove my car.
    I'll soon be on YouTube...
    I see you are in Essex did not realise they took Euro's in Jaywick
    Last edited by mart broad; 16th August 2016 at 14:58.

Quote Originally Posted by ddm27 View Post
    I love the watch, but there is absolutely nothing "value for money" about a steel, time-only, three-hander with a rubber strap for fourteen thousand quid!!! ;)
    Value for money is a relative term so i would agree that compared to say a £70 Seiko a £14,000 Aquanaut is not good value for money. However, please read what i wrote as i was comparing the Aquanaut to the Nautilus 5711 which has exactly the same movement as the Aquanaut, is a steel watch time only three hander with the addition of a steel bracelet. The Nautilus costs much more than the Aquanaut and it is on this relative basis that the Aquanaut is better value for money.

PS. The strap on the Aquanaut is not rubber it is a composite material strap.

I was hellbent on the 5712a however over the last few months I'm starting to really appreciate that stunning simple 5711 dial. This is prob as hard a decision as deciding which ones to flip. On another forum somebody had the same dilemma and were advised to start with the 5711 and go from there due to it being harder to obtain then the 5712 (not sure if still true) and of course its slightly cheaper. Sound advice maybe?

I actually thought the 5711 was harder to come by...worth checking that-both lovely

cheers

Well to test the water, here is a 5712 actually for sale and a June 2016 watch:

http://www.watches.co.uk/patek-phili...tilus-PK-1595P

The RRP on this model is stated as £21k, so the price is higher - but I think anyone buying a 5712, 5711 or a 5167 has to accept that the selling price of a second hand model will come at a premium. As stated before, quite often those listed as second hand are in fact brand new. You are paying a premium to jump the AD queue.