closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Longines Repair Center

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    Let me guess - the bracelet marks are from the bracelet links and clasp rubbing against each other whilst in transit to and / or from the service centre?

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
    They might be, as I said I am not sure because I did not check. Almost identical marks on the opposite side as well, check the picture I highlighted them,

They look like they may have been caused by the clasp and could probably be polished out quite easily but given where they are, they'd likely return with use.

I've stopped caring about marks on bracelets caused by the clasp, though I do avoid allowing the clasp to come in contact with the case back as I prefer the case back to be unmarked.

Banned
    Jeez....

Journeyman
    Anyway I'm thinking on swapping the bracelet for a rubber or leather strap but I never tried any of them. What's the best option, go to watch shop and try? If I buy a strap lets say from that shop will they replace it for free or I have to pay? Longines boutique probably will be to expensive to buy from or price are pretty much same everywhere? I spoke to one of them and he told me that my watch doesn't come with leather only rubber strap but I've seen identical watch for sale with a leather strap...

Banned
    Buy a strap online. The selection is far larger than any shop and the price will most likely be lower. Replace it yourself. If you don't know how, learn.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    my advice would be to go outside more, and have a look at shops and buses etc. the latter can take you places you could never imagine, and shops have a great selection of wares that you could discuss with the shop assistants.

or as a keen cyclist, you could take your bike off its rollers and head out for a run to the shops.

you could then come home and google some reviews, and also send an email or 40 to AD's asking them some options for watch straps and prices.

grown ups have been doing this for years.

or if your really bored you could post the exact same question on another forum for more people to give you the same answers....ohhh wait...

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/chro...k-3472129.html
    Last edited by soundood; 16th August 2016 at 22:37.

WUS gave up at only 8 posts, but look at us here, so proud

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    WUS gave up at only 8 posts, but look at us here, so proud
    I do what I can to help people.

Craftsman
    This is a thread that I never want to end.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by cikoleko View Post
    Where did you get it from? It's the other way around mate.
    That I'm very glad to hear.

The impression I got was from your observations of very small details (the chrono resetting to 1 isn't a small detail, I know!!).

Virtually every single watch I own, if I have a close look at it under my microscope I can see loads and loads of things that could be done better, hands not perfectly aligned, the printed wording / lines done with a little too much / too little ink so they don't look great at that level of magnification, foreign matter on the dial, marks I've put on the case / bracelet. The brand new Speedy I got the chrono hands were about 0.5s out when "reset".

I guess I'm saying I had to learn to completely ignore all these tiny imperfections or they'd drive me bonkers.

For watches that I don't really love, I start to notice those tiny imperfections more and more until I chop it in for something else (well, until I stick it in the cupboard at the moment, not at the magic 250 post count here yet :) ), for those I love, these things become acquired "character".

The only thing now I'm not really happy are some weird marks on the inner side of bracelet (polished parts) but obviously even if it wasn't me I cannot do anything now as I should have inspected it when collecting. Also there's two round marks on crystal which I can't even spot until I point it on light, also not sure were they caused when removing it or something else.
    Those look like wear marks caused by simply using the watch, it shows it's not a safe queen!

Craftsman
    Anyway I'm thinking on swapping the bracelet for a rubber or leather strap but I never tried any of them. What's the best option, go to watch shop and try? If I buy a strap lets say from that shop will they replace it for free or I have to pay? Longines boutique probably will be to expensive to buy from or price are pretty much same everywhere? I spoke to one of them and he told me that my watch doesn't come with leather only rubber strap but I've seen identical watch for sale with a leather strap...
    In the first instance EBay - buy a dozen or so of the straps / bracelets / meshes you like the looks of that are the right size.

When you get them, you'll hate 3/4s of them and chuck them in the bin.

You'll then have found out what sort you like for a few quid, and can go buy a decent one/two/three.

Quote Originally Posted by Wharry View Post
    This is a thread that I never want to end.
    I think we're in it for the long haul - we still need to investigate those crystal marks; advise on the strap buying and fitting process; the inevitable concerns over the quality of the strap; and scratches to the lugs from fitting the strap.

even though now your probably not sending this for repair... I have used that repair centre around a year ago to repair a striped crown thread on my Hamilton sunset.

A friend of a friend jeweller sent it to be repaired... and for a price to be agreed before the work started. Anyway they did the work, THEN invoiced the jewellers. Anyway cut a long story short, due to this I ended up paying 50% of their original figure as it hadn't been agreed. They did have it around 8 weeks if I remember right, but some of that time was probably taken up agreeing a price etc.

The watch came back repaired and I've had no problem with it since.

Craftsman
    I think we're in it for the long haul - we still need to investigate those crystal marks; advise on the strap buying and fitting process; the inevitable concerns over the quality of the strap; and scratches to the lugs from fitting the strap.

And why does the date not change correctly, there isn't a 31st of September!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wharry View Post
    And why does the date not change correctly, there isn't a 31st of September!!!
    Several of the long established companies use the old pre-Napoleonic Genevan calendar: all months have 31 days, except in a leap year, when it catches up by going straight from February 1st to March 1st. No one likes February.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    No one likes February.
    It's because of that first 'r'... why is it even there?!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post
    That I'm very glad to hear.

The impression I got was from your observations of very small details (the chrono resetting to 1 isn't a small detail, I know!!).

Virtually every single watch I own, if I have a close look at it under my microscope I can see loads and loads of things that could be done better, hands not perfectly aligned, the printed wording / lines done with a little too much / too little ink so they don't look great at that level of magnification, foreign matter on the dial, marks I've put on the case / bracelet. The brand new Speedy I got the chrono hands were about 0.5s out when "reset".

I guess I'm saying I had to learn to completely ignore all these tiny imperfections or they'd drive me bonkers.

For watches that I don't really love, I start to notice those tiny imperfections more and more until I chop it in for something else (well, until I stick it in the cupboard at the moment, not at the magic 250 post count here yet :) ), for those I love, these things become acquired "character".
    Ha ha, true. Same thing here, I don't want to let it go for another month or so but who knows maybe one day if I will own a second watch so I will be able to send it for a proper warranty.
    From what I understand they say there's 24 months warranty on the work carried so basically it's not from the purchase date anymore but from last service date which means it extends?

Also can someone confirm this: "this warranty will be invalid if any work is carried out on your watch by a person who is not authorised to do so by us"
    This doesn't include strap replacement correct? LOL

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fraggle42 View Post

For heavens sake man, pull yourself together, just buy a Grand Seiko and be done with it! There is not need to live with all these "imperfections".

Journeyman
    My watch has once again been out for a warranty and finally everything has been fixed most importantly central chronograph hand was finally aligned properly.
    But after a week the same problem with 6 o'clock 12 hour counter appeared, I wasn't even using chronograph yesterday and I spotted this in the evening...
    Can someone please explain me maybe it's normal behavior when hand is changing positions or something is wrong again..?
    P.S. Start/reset fixed it and it did return to the normal position.

Banned
    ^^^ sorry about that ^^^

This is why I avoid chronographs. The added cost and complexity is just not worth the benefit of having a chrono.

Jesus wept.

Grand Master
    I refuse to comment further on this thread.

My watch has once again been out for a warranty and finally everything has been fixed most importantly central chronograph hand was finally aligned properly.
    But after a week the same problem with 6 o'clock 12 hour counter appeared, I wasn't even using chronograph yesterday and I spotted this in the evening...
    Can someone please explain me maybe it's normal behavior when hand is changing positions or something is wrong again..?
    P.S. Start/reset fixed it and it did return to the normal position.
    So you think you have an intermittent fault on the chronograph hours register at 6 o'clock where the hand, sometimes, doesn't reset correctly?

How often does it do this? If it's once every 10 times or so that you use the chronograph, and is remedied by a start, stop and reset, I'd live with it; and if necessary, send the watch back to Longines nearer to the time that the warranty on the service was due to run out. It may get worse with use, but if you send you watch back to the service centre now, they will have to take all the hands off to get at the movement and you could be back to where you started if they don't put them back on perfectly straight.

Journeyman
    So you think you have an intermittent fault on the chronograph hours register at 6 o'clock where the hand, sometimes, doesn't reset correctly?

How often does it do this? If it's once every 10 times or so that you use the chronograph, and is remedied by a start, stop and reset, I'd live with it; and if necessary, send the watch back to Longines nearer to the time that the warranty on the service was due to run out. It may get worse with use, but if you send you watch back to the service centre now, they will have to take all the hands off to get at the movement and you could be back to where you started if they don't put them back on perfectly straight.
    Since the watch came back from warranty over a week ago this problem haven't occurred yet.
    It does reset well all the time. I said that the arrow randomly changed position on the day that I did not even use the chronograph and I remember for sure last time when I reset it wasn't like that.
    After I sent it for a warranty, I wrote a complaint to Longines and I received a call that because I had the same problem for several times in a row they will fully replace a movement although it was only mentioned in notes not in the actual work sheet.
    P.S. customer request field wasn't written by me, I attached a massive note in the parcel with in depth explanation what is wrong, someone probably made it shorter.

Maybe the hand on the hours register needs to be replaced if it's moving around on its own accord without you having used the chronograph. It might be slightly loose from having been removed and refitted a few times.

Just send it back if it's driving you nuts. Be sure to write a covering letter to explain the issues you've had. Ultimately though, I think you might have to sell this watch and move on, as it seems unlikely you'll be satisfied and will want closure.