closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Watch related rituals.

Watch related rituals.

I write this at a little past 5am. I run a bar and have just got in from work. Saturday night is the culmination of the week. Busiest night and the most stressful night. I finish at 4:30am ish and am off the following day.

As part of my wind down process, I get home, sort myself out and get my Deepsea out of it's travel pouch. I never wear it for work for fear of picking up dinks. I wind it, set the time using the online atomic clock and potter around the house wearing it before bed. Then I leave it out ready to wear on Sunday, my first day off after the weekend. I suppose it's my little piece of pleasure which makes the part of my weekend after everyone else has had theirs. It kind of makes me happy.

So does anyone else do similar or am I just a sad who shouldn't be afraid of wearing such a brute of a watch 24/7???

Only thing I can think is on my days off taking out my hand wind watches, winding them up and setting the time on them to wear for the weekend or holiday. I usually wear a quartz watch for work and a mechanical watch when I am going out. I tend to use a different watch not so much in any kind of rotation but just to make sure all are in some sort of regular use.

I know what you mean about not wanting to get a nice watch damaged in work, I do know a few people who wear an Omega or Rolex to work and see it as a watch should be worn so why not wear it, if it gets damaged so be it. Personal preference and all that.

Sometimes I think I should just set, say £500 aside and wear the watch daily and if I flip, use the money to cover the extra depreciation or for a polish.

My silly ritual is wearing a watch while watching television and having a second watch next to me, resting on the arm of the couch. I just like having more then one to look at when the TV loses my attention. This is really sort of foolish as I have hard wood floors and it would not be difficult to accidentally knock a watch off the arm of the couch and damage it pretty badly. So far, I've been lucky.

Banned
    Nothing wrong with respecting your possessions mate, however, you would soon get over the first bit of wear and I promise, you’ll feel liberated wearing the DSSD.

BUT, the problem then, is once you wear your favourite watch for ‘all things dirty’, any others will be resigned to history...

Watch related rituals.

Mine is with the chronos, I have to have them running but only when the time is precisely either 20 mins and 40 seconds past the hour or 20 mins and 40 seconds to the hour. IMHO the watch looks more balanced this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    BUT, the problem then, is once you wear your favourite watch for ‘all things dirty’, any others will be resigned to history...
    That and you'll probably then want to pick up another watch for special occasions ;)

I think it's good that you have a way of making time off special, not just recovery from work. I also think it's good you have something you treasure. (Kind of funny that the thing you treasure carefully is something that could take the rigours of work, but it's not your fault that prevailing tastes are the way they are.)

Mostly in my life, leisure and work are so entangled that most the time I can scarcely differentiate between the two. I've one watch (a very light vintage two-hander) that I only wear for those infrequent times when I've put work totally to one side. Makes a difference both to the quality of that time, and to my appreciation of that watch.

As for a ritual, each morning, before I put my watch on, I wind it up if it's a manual, correct it against the time.is website if it's not a very accurate watch, and then take a moment to think about it while it lays in my palm. For a long while I was utterly skint, and now that I can afford some nice things, I'm trying to do my best that I remain consciously grateful of them.
    Last edited by Der Amf; 7th August 2016 at 07:54.

Banned
    One of my little rituals these days is to check the time online. If my watch is running slow I will leave it overnight in a position that gains a little time. If it is running fast I will do the opposite. I get some enjoyment by keeping a mechanical watch running within 5 seconds of correct time for weeks and weeks without any other adjustment.

Master
    I think my guilty pleasure is looking at my collection and it just brings a smile to my face I don't collect many things. Also at one point when we first got married and later had our first child I sold all of my collection of to pay for a deposit for the house, new car etc. So I appreciate my collection:-) I enjoy looking at the special watches in my collection that the children and wife have got me and it brings a smile to my face. When I go out with my family I will get a new watch out of the box and wind it up and set it and wear it. Usually one of the special occasion watches.
    Last edited by shoppy; 7th August 2016 at 09:10.

Banned
    Great post, shoppy, that is what it is all about. The watches mean much more than just money.

I keep mine in my bedside cabinet and wind all the mechanicals and shake the autos at around 8pm every evening

At about 11am every Sunday morning I check and reset the time on all using an online clock

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Velorum View Post
    At about 11am every Sunday morning I check and reset the time on all using an online clock
    Fascinating. I have often wondered what goes on behind closed doors on Sunday mornings. Thank you.

May I suggest that you give the watches that you are not wearing a rest? Keeping them running all the time seems a bit extravagant.
    Last edited by GrandS; 7th August 2016 at 09:31.

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    I know what you mean about not wanting to get a nice watch damaged in work, I do know a few people who wear an Omega or Rolex to work and see it as a watch should be worn so why not wear it, if it gets damaged so be it. Personal preference and all that.

It can be surprising how tough a watch can be....

Whilst going through Airport security with my YachtMaster, my good lady decided to 'help me' by unloading my tray. She did not notice my watch sat on my jacket (nice and soft) as she lifted it out of the tray.
    It flew through the air, in what seemed like slow motion. Hitting the hard tile floor from a good 4 or 5 foot fall, I had to compose myself before picking it up.
    Having witnessed the carnage, I had at least expected a smashed crystal.
    There was not a mark. Crystal perfect, no scratch, no dinks or dents. Impossible I thought.
    Surely the timekeeping was going to be goosed from such a drop? Nope, it was exactly the same as before.

It often makes me wonder how watches do get marked!

Journeyman
    Great thread, really interesting. I've picked up a bit of a funny habit since buying my Submariner in March, which has only been possible since owning a watch with an adjustable clasp (glidelock). I've basically been wearing this watch 24/7 since getting it. Each evening I open the glidelock right up to make the watch much looser. Feels a bit like loosening my belt to relax and feel more comfortable. It makes the watch slip around on ,y wrist, which I wouldn't like all day, but it feels more relaxed and comfortable for evenings at home. And each morning after a shower I adjust the clasp back to a proper fit and I feel prepared for the day ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    May I suggest that you give the watches that you are not wearing a rest? Keeping them running all the time seems a bit extravagant.
    No way, I like to live life on the edge

Super thread.

My "ritual", for what it is, tends to involve thinking about the day ahead before putting on the watch. Thinking about where I'll be, whom I'll see, etc. Invariably I'll also find myself thinking (all this is very brief, barely more than subliminal) about why I got the watch and what it meant/means.

If all this sounds a bit zen, I would be lying if I didn't add that I also consider how the watch might be perceived by others in my day (whether it would be too much; too little). I wear what I wear for myself, and am not particularly concerned with how I come across... but no man is an island and all that.

My ritual is to wait for the postie and then when asked 'is that another watch?' say 'no its em.. stuff for work'

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I think I have acquired a few over the years:
    - as soon as I got home from work I always took off the watch I was wearing and set another two; one for the rest of the evening and one for work the following day. No need for such regimentation now having managed to retire last year.
    - at least once a week switch a few straps, even if I put the watches straight back in the box rather than wear the one(s) I have just changed.
    - in the evening will typically have a 2nd watch next to me on the sofa.
    - set a chrono running for no particular reason, but only on the hour. So it annoys if I just miss setting in time and have to wait another hour.
    - check the accuracy of any watches that I have running before I go to bed and then again when I get up.

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by gbn13 View Post
    I think I have acquired a few over the years:
    - as soon as I got home from work I always took off the watch I was wearing and set another two; one for the rest of the evening and one for work the following day. No need for such regimentation now having managed to retire last year.
    - at least once a week switch a few straps, even if I put the watches straight back in the box rather than wear the one(s) I have just changed.
    - in the evening will typically have a 2nd watch next to me on the sofa.
    - set a chrono running for no particular reason, but only on the hour. So it annoys if I just miss setting in time and have to wait another hour.
    - check the accuracy of any watches that I have running before I go to bed and then again when I get up.

Neil
    At one stage, I stopping putting my watches away, and found that they just started wandering all over my flat, like cats in a mad old woman's house. Never knew where any of them were, but there was always one nearby, keeping me company

1. I set my watches according to an atomic clock (which is pretty normal for us)

2. Wherever I go, I seem to look for good lighting and backgrounds for a wrist shot. The idea is just always on the back of my mind.

Whenever I'd wear an auto/hand wind I would always reset it, if it had run down, to the second using an atomic G - I'm not so fussed now. What I have always done, and probably always will, is set my analogues so that when the second hand passes 12 the minute hand is pointing directly at a minute marker. I wouldn't consider myself to be OCD however to have the minute hand half way between markers would make my teeth itch!

Just realised something else as well... Of the watches that aren't in my watch box those on NATOs are kept laying on their backs with the straps flat at 12 and 6, anything on a bracelet or leather will always be left on its side crown up with the strap/bracelet fastened as if I was wearing it.

When wearing my manual wound watch, I make sure reminder on my phone is on, so I don't miss winding the movement every 24 hours on the dot.

It is really fascinating to read the rituals people follow. I thought this was some silly thread but quite interesting actually.
    I have too many rituals and silly superstitions when it comes to watches.

When upon retiring for the night and in need of clearing my mind, I would sometimes re-evaluate my next prospective watch purchase, a bit like counting sheep. It usually worked a treat. Strangely, since buying my exit watch I haven't been sleeping nearly as well.

A couple of years ago I had a favourite armchair taken out of storage in London and moved it to Berlin. I now always sit in it and set (and wind) watches using the radio-controlled Braun alarm clock by the bed - much better than doing the same task standing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    A couple of years ago I had a favourite armchair taken out of storage in London and moved it to Berlin. I now always sit in it and set (and wind) watches using the radio-controlled Braun alarm clock by the bed - much better than doing the same task standing up.
    Which just goes to prove that you can take the armchair out of London but you can't take the man out of the armchair. Or something
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    Which just goes to prove that you can take the armchair out of London but you can't take the man out of the armchair. Or something
    Or perhaps the dog - although he prefers to lick his how's-your-father whilst ensconced, rather than set a timepiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Or perhaps the dog - although he prefers to lick his how's-your-father whilst ensconced, rather than set a timepiece.
    There are many members on here that would envy your dogs abilities and I believe would gladly trade their entire collections to be able to do that
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Every day while the shower is heating up I brush my teeth, and then with a separate brush and hand soap I clean my watch and put it on the shelf til I'm dressed then put it back on for the day.
    Sunday morning, big cafetière of coffee, book, and check the timekeeping over the week with the twixt app as part of my 2 hours of doing sweet FA.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    There are many members on here that would envy your dogs abilities and I believe would gladly trade their entire collections to be able to do that
    As the old response goes, "I'm sure if you gave him a dog biscuit he'd let you!"

As my rotation has settled I have gained a habit of winding the 3 rotation options and setting them the night before if they need it so in the morning I have a choice of 3 autos and my Quartz all set ready to grab. Unless I am certain which I am wearing as I seem to defer to certain ones for certain locations. Not sure why.

Craftsman
    great thread! some interesting (if a bit odd) habits emerging! I don't have any rituals per say, but do find myself taking my JLC off to look at it properly more than any watch I've ever owned!

Master
    Brilliant thread - when I saw the title I had no idea there would be so many little rituals shared.

Sorry to say I don't have anything really to add, ritual-wise. I do 'check the time' a lot. Was away last week and needing to check time for trains, so would look down and check, then a few seconds later a part of my brain would think "oh, that watch looks nice" and I'd find myself checking the time again. Can only wonder what passers-by would think, seeing someone confirming the time several times in a row while walking along....

Master
    Apart from wearing different watches for different kinds of occupations, office work, warehouse work, holidays, special occasions, rough work(gardening, fixing the cars), the only real ritual is the twice yearly daylight saving ritual. That applies to all clocks and watches in the house, at work and the cars. All except the radio controlled wall clock in the kitchen. But I guess we all have the daylight saving ritual, unless we only have Radio or GPS watches.
    Last edited by Tiny; 18th December 2017 at 08:12.

Craftsman
    Only ritual I have is playing with the bezel on the Seadweller, the clicks are so satisfying.

Craftsman
    Less a ritual and more of me never being satisfied: I will loosen and tighten my watches constantly throughout the day (mainly leather strap watches and bracelets with quick adjustments). There are certain times it is a ritual, when I get on the tube it's loosened, tightened when I arrive at work, etc.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Is it a ritual?

On Sunday after a night out I rinse my watch [usually a Seiko diver] under the tap as someone’s bound to have spilt beer on me, I then throw the NATO strap in the washing machine with last nights clothes.

Then I put on a simple watch like a hand wind or as of late my IWC pilot watch and relax.

Journeyman
    Manually winding my Speedmaster every single morning. Loved it at first, it was part of the 'experience'.. started to annoy me after a while. Now it just does my head in!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by murtz View Post
    Manually winding my Speedmaster every single morning. Loved it at first, it was part of the 'experience'.. started to annoy me after a while. Now it just does my head in!
    Don’t say that it’s one of the reasons I want to buy one.

Journeyman
    great insight into what everyone does, makes me feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one and we all suffer together, love it,
    I do all of the above

Scottie

I wear all my watches in rotation, automatics I wear for a week, anything else is changed after 24 hours.
    The only thing that I would consider obsessive is that I'm constantly checking them against a radio controlled wall clock.
    Even radio controlled watches!
    I also keep looking at the watch I'm wearing just to gloat, I've had people seeing this ask the time.
    As I wasn't checking the times I have to look again before I can answer.
    I'm just a very naughty boy.

Good deals with- VINSTINK, kevkojak, Optimum, Omegary, seikoking, acg, SPEEDY, kfman, Card Shark, wajhart, Jot, danboy, zenomega, gaz64, minke, Mal52, Alas, norfolkngood, Sparky, rdwiow, mrteatime, gravedodger, joeytheghost, lordoftheflies, Silver Hawk, Filterlab, brooksy, marmisto, Fray Bentos, Bootsy, Harvey69, Mantisgb, bristolboozer, Jedadiah, newtohorology, Zephod, jimm1, Draygo, Raptor.

I may have forgot one or two, apppologies.

Sniffing the strap.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by bwest76 View Post
    Don’t say that it’s one of the reasons I want to buy one.
    I'm selling mine! Can't post on here due to my post count but keep an eye out on AV Forums :)