closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Best place to source an issued CWC G10

Best place to source an issued CWC G10

Looking to get a G10 for my son it's the only watch I I own he likes! I personally would love to get him a 2007 year but any and all are open...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Ebay is the obvious one - lots on there but be careful - there's usually a few duffers about and prices vary enormously.

Precista made and issued similar style watches too but not as late as 2007.

You may have more luck posting a WTB over on the Military Watch Resource (MWR).

Thanks for the reply am always wary of the bay.
    Will check MWR but not on there as yet. Thought of a WTB in here but not there yet lol.

Has Andy Schuren got any left? He had a load at the start of the year, variety of issue dates

Craftsman
    I have always found Anchor Supplies in Nottingham good, used to spend my lunch hour looking at stuff I didn't need :-) some great gear in there

http://www.anchorsupplies.com/watche...10-quartz.html

Might be worth dropping Carl at GasGasBones a note.

Thanks will have a look. He is getting more and more interested in watches now and wants to collect too. But the only one he really wants to start his collection is the G10!

I've used Silvermans. Top money but top stuff too.

http://www.silvermans.co.uk/collecti...ant=4193812355

Craftsman
    I got mine from Ramco, but they don't seem to have any at the moment

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    Not saying it's the same seller but I got one of these unbelievably cheap ones from ebay and within a few months the hands dropped off! Seller said get lost I must have been mistreating it! I pointed out it was a military watch and if can't cope with day-to-day office wearing then it must be faulty.... gave in in the end and lobbed it in the bin. I've just found the strap at though at the back of my office draw plus some Lemsip dated expired 2008!

Anchor supplies... excellent company. Been buying from them for 20 years (never a watch though)!

Journeyman
    What makes a cwc G10 as issued is it just the year/date being before 2009 and if it is before 2009 how do you know where it's been. Could it not have just been lying around in a shop somewhere or could someone have bought it new in 2008 for instance from cwc/ silvermans

Still no luck on this. My son is using mine all the time lol I need to get it back and find him one! They was easily available end of last year!

Quote Originally Posted by woodacre1983 View Post
    Still no luck on this. My son is using mine all the time lol I need to get it back and find him one! They was easily available end of last year!

Sent a chat or pm thing to you.
    Cheers Pat

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    What makes a cwc G10 as issued is it just the year/date being before 2009 and if it is before 2009 how do you know where it's been. Could it not have just been lying around in a shop somewhere or could someone have bought it new in 2008 for instance from cwc/ silvermans
    All of the numbers on the case back are relevant. For example take this issued Precista I have...

6BB/6645-99-5415317

30345/84

6BB = RAF issue
    6645 = Military wristwatch
    99 = NATO code for UK
    5415317 = Individual Item Code for a G10 Quartz Wrist Watch, General Purpose
    30345 = Individual serial number of watch
    84 = Year of issue ie 1984

W10 = British Army
    0552 = Royal Navy
    0555 = Royal Marines
    6BB = Royal Air Force

However not all of the watches that CWC make are issued, and these will be without a serial number or date (at least the one I bought from Silvermans for work some years ago is like this).
    F.T.F.A.

@mick,

+1 @magirus got it covered.

I just have one amendment. As far as I'm aware 6645 is classed as a Timepiece.

Point being any thing that measures time. It could be a stopwatch, wallclock, a bank of time computers or clock in recon camera showing the time in a photograph. They are all 6645, in this case a lovely Percista G10.

Last edited by TapAptPat; 18th August 2016 at 23:13.

Quote Originally Posted by TapAptPat View Post
    @mick,

+1 @magirus got it covered.

I just have one amendment. As far as I'm aware 6645 is classed as a Timepiece.

Point being any thing that measures time. It could be a stopwatch, wallclock, a bank of time computers or clock in recon camera showing the time in a photograph. They are all 6645, in this case a lovely Percista G10.

That's correct, to be more precise it is the "NATO Supply Classification identifier for timekeeping instruments." More info here http://www.horologycrazy.com/2009/06...-markings.html
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    That's correct, to be more precise it is the "NATO Supply Classification identifier for timekeeping instruments." More info here http://www.horologycrazy.com/2009/06...-markings.html
    Man is not lost with the wonders of the arpnet i mean web. That's the one, Bingo, thanks for the wonderful link.

Journeyman
    Thanks magirus and TapAptPat for info. It's a bit clearer now, but call me stupid if you like, But I'm still not quite getting it.. The reason is about a month ago I purchased a new CWC G10 General service watch and it has all of the numbers/references you have mentioned in your reply magirus yet it obviously has never been issued to anyone. It definitely has the date and serial number

Ah definition of issued and worn are two different things. MOD put a tender to create watch. CWC won(part of tender abit unsure here). Let's say they won. CWC built the watches and sent them to MOD. Here they got there issue numbers. This the NSN ingraving on the caseback of your watch.

Worn well we would have to know if they signed out / assigned to. Thus need access to Quarter Master book. This could be a little difficult. So unless you aquire it from a person who served and wore the watch.

Ok there are some signs of ware you might look for. Does it have any gunk or also known as cheese. Basically is there dirt on the watch. Between the lug under the crown when set the time. Along any joins. This is evidence that something happend to the watch.

Further more on the case back you might find banding/horizontal lines. This is created from prolonged friction of the nylon strap.

I hope I've got most of it. I humbly accept corrections and scrutiny. Still class myself as a noob. So please assist with learned info.

Cheers pat

Ok sorry but the focus it's more about the angle to get a visual of banding, worn and issued vs just issued. 1st my 1980 fat boy. With banding and cheese.

Next up regular 2006 issued minty fresh.

Good explanation but my preference is to wash the 'cheese' off. I don't have a G10 but I do have an issued Gen 2 Pulsar Chrono that has most definitely been worn. That's pretty clear from the scratched crystal, replaced crown and banding on the case back, but also from the source. I quite like the wear and tear definitely wanted to wash off the slightly oily dust and detritus that had built up. Not sure if that is recommended but I wouldn't wear it otherwise.

Totally agree with @alfat33. I forgot to mention it my cheese on first image. Not cheese since 1980. I nick the misses nail pollish remover and old toothbrush then cottenbuds. Not sure if this recommended. The best thing would be to have a watchmaker clean it. Not the economical solution. But it's would be the safe solution. Staps get boiled a couple of times, then washing machine on high temps, when I'm lucky enough to get them.

NOTE. Water soap and alcohol are not really going to make a big dent on abc exposure. Just so everyone is covered.

NOTE 2 Mine where bought from government sale. So I'd feel a little miffed if they were active.

Last edited by TapAptPat; 20th August 2016 at 13:11.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by TapAptPat View Post
    Ah definition of issued and worn are two different things. MOD put a tender to create watch. CWC won(part of tender abit unsure here). Let's say they won. CWC built the watches and sent them to MOD. Here they got there issue numbers. This the NSN ingraving on the caseback of your watch.

Worn well we would have to know if they signed out / assigned to. Thus need access to Quarter Master book. This could be a little difficult. So unless you aquire it from a person who served and wore the watch.

Ok there are some signs of ware you might look for. Does it have any gunk or also known as cheese. Basically is there dirt on the watch. Between the lug under the crown when set the time. Along any joins. This is evidence that something happend to the watch.

Further more on the case back you might find banding/horizontal lines. This is created from prolonged friction of the nylon strap.

I hope I've got most of it. I humbly accept corrections and scrutiny. Still class myself as a noob. So please assist with learned info.

Cheers pat

image.jpeg
    This is mine pat as I said brand new from silvermans.
    So to be clear an issued watch is dependant on wether the particular watch company
    Had the contract to supply the MOD for any given number of years.
    Example: CWC get the contract to supply MOD with a watch from 1972 to say 2009
    So any watch that's has those years stamped on the rear from 1972 to 2009 is classed as an issued watch,
    wether or not anyone in the military actually owned it and it was bought brand new from a stor/shop.
    Have I now got it correct Pat

Journeyman
    How do I put my images on the thread?..

How do I put my images on the thread?..
    You did it. See below

image.jpeg
    This is mine pat as I said brand new from silvermans.
    So to be clear an issued watch is dependant on wether the particular watch company
    Had the contract to supply the MOD for any given number of years.
    Example: CWC get the contract to supply MOD with a watch from 1972 to say 2009
    So any watch that's has those years stamped on the rear from 1972 to 2009 is classed as an issued watch,
    wether or not anyone in the military actually owned it and it was bought brand new from a stor/shop.
    Have I now got it correct Pat
    Ok someone with more experienced may need to chime in.

If i go from Knirim Volume 2 the dates are 2000 as a break point for the old new contract. Now I could accept a couple of years as transitional but 9. I am sceptical at this point.

As for the other points of ownership and issued I think we got it in broad terms. My understanding is MOD owned the watch until it was bought buy a government sanctioned recycle company. I sources mine from them. I think we have an understanding of what issued means.

So to CWC'S I really like their watches. As for the reissue strategy by Silvermans. It is my opinion that they are causing confusion in the marketplace by having a product that is so similar. I mean you need to be copywriter or solicitor to make heads and tails of it all. It's their business practice so it is up to use as a potential customer to do due diligence if we agree with what said and part with our money. These are my option as a noob of course. So I leave you to form your own. Additional insight is most welcome. @alfat33 and others.

Hope this helps
    Pat

@Op and @Mike. I must reread the whole section on G10. When sorting through my spares. I discovered I have 2 G10 from 06 and one Pulsar from 06. So the overlap must have run longer than I initially thought. ::facepalm:::

Can anybody else share their thoughts on when issued CWC's run ended?

Cheers
    Pat

Journeyman
    I was only using 2009 as an example and not as a statement of fact

Craftsman
    This is such a great idea. The first 'proper' watch I got my son was a CWC G10 issued on his birth year. Easily wearable, cool, tough and individual.

I was only using 2009 as an example and not as a statement of fact
    Fair point, i've deduced I don't know when they were last issued. 2009 or not?

Last edited by TapAptPat; 22nd August 2016 at 23:13.

Journeyman
    image.jpeg

- - - Updated - - -

Just trying it on a bund strap

Journeyman

Images

Sorry about the images guys I'm using an iPad mini 2 and can't seem to resize them to make them fit the forum image size rules. I downloaded a third party app to resize the images but the quality then goes.
    I still don't know hoe to make them appear on the actual thread so I just seem to post links to enable you to view.

I'd say it's definitely small enough.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    I'd say it's definitely small enough.
    Don't know how you did that Carlton !! I mean even to get the picture to appear on the thread
    Is an achievement compared to the link I ended up with.
    The forum upload manager says that the image is too big when I take the photo with the iPad
    so I make it smaller dimensionally then it tells me it's too big in byte size so I cut and crop, crop and cut until it says the size is fine so then I post only to find out that it's a link and not the actual photo.
    New technology eh

Looking to get a G10 for my son it's the only watch I I own he likes! I personally would love to get him a 2007 year but any and all are open...

Appear to be back in stock at Anchor supplies http://www.anchorsupplies.com/watches/military.html … both showing as 'in stock'

Edit: Just ordered one myself and now showing 'out of stock' - but presumably they still have the Royal Marine model in stock.

dunk
    Last edited by sundial; 30th September 2016 at 12:52.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

G10

I just put a brand new never issued 2006 G10 on E bay. Still has plastic cover on crystal. Thining collection down . There if you are still wanting one.

Cheers

Peter

Sorry guys been off here for months for personal reasons (lost my mum). My son is still desperate for his own of these! Mine is currently missing in action on his wrist!!

Repeating previously posted advice … Anchor Supplies has several G10 watches in stock.

dunk
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

Master
    One fs on MWR.

Mwr??

Master
    Mwr??

Military Watch Resource. It's a US forum mainly.

Ah ok thanks for that will have to register there!

Mwr??

http://www.mwrforum.net/forums/forum...p?2-Main-Forum

The watch site for the serious minded Walt and my favourite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, already answered, I hadn't refreshed my browser.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk