closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Stowa croc strap quality

Journeyman

Stowa croc strap quality

About to pull the trigger on a Stowa MO and wondering what the consensus is on the quality of their croc straps?

They are a €100 upgrade to the price but trying to see if it is worth the price or would I be better off getting aftermarket croc and adding a Stowa buckle...

Any advice appreciated!

I considered a croc/alligator strap for my Archimede deck watch, having bought it from SC with the supplied plain leather strap from Archimede. Before commiting to the expense of the genuine article I bought an alligator grain leather strap from TSS, in mid brown, to see if I liked the look. Whilst a very well made strap for me the style of watch looks better on plain leather, and it's now on a dark brown Fluco Bridle Leather, from Watchbandcenter, which suits it better for my taste. If you must have the real thing I've seen good reports of the ones that Cousins sell, for a fair bit less. Here's what I tried http://www.watchworx.co.uk/pages/lwb/elitePop/M16-1.htm
    F.T.F.A.

I'm not sure that any of the top brands straps are worth the money compared to aftermarket straps of the same or less money, I can't speak for them all but I've seen Tag, Breitling and Panerai OEM straps that are not as good as the cost would suggest, or are as good as custom stuff, of course, if the manufacturer branding has a value to you then it is worth it.
    Cheers..
    Jase

they are of excellent quality!

I have two Stowa croc straps and can vouch for the quality. I must admit, my first impression was that they are a little thin. Having said that, they suit the watches well (MO and MA with 2801) and there's no denying the quality of finish and stitching.

I should add that I currently have the MO on a Stowa mesh (Staib) and that suits the watch perfectly. Again, not cheap, but high quality.
    Last edited by Ian_O; 6th August 2016 at 09:53.

Journeyman
    Thanks for the replies. Think I'll take the plunge on the stowa croc strap.

Also very tempted by the Stowa mesh but they seem to be just reselling the Staib mesh (without even branding it) at a higher price then elsewhere so I'll hold off for now!

Quote Originally Posted by AidanG View Post

Also very tempted by the Stowa mesh but they seem to be just reselling the Staib mesh (without even branding it) at a higher price then elsewhere so I'll hold off for now!
    Yes, the Stowa mesh thing is odd. I have two, one on a Marine Original and one on an Antea. The Antea strap had no markings on at all, whereas the mesh on the MO had Stowa and the logo etched into it.

The thing I don't like about buying a mesh from Stowa is that they helpfully size it for you before despatch, which is great, but they don't send the spare links with it!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian_O View Post
    The thing I don't like about buying a mesh from Stowa is that they helpfully size it for you before despatch, which is great, but they don't send the spare links with it!
    Very helpfully of them!

Thanks for that, will definitely be sourcing it elsewhere.

Very helpfully of them!

Thanks for that, will definitely be sourcing it elsewhere.
    Watchbandcenter have a selection of Staib , although I don't know if their pricing is competitive. They are quick and easy to deal with.
    F.T.F.A.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Watchbandcenter have a selection of Staib , although I don't know if their pricing is competitive. They are quick and easy to deal with.
    Thanks, yes they look to be a good bit cheaper then the €160 Stowa charge.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    they are of excellent quality!
    Fan of mine that came with the watch, its starting to show its age now but dont think I can justify the full replacement cost however.

But its a very comfortable and high quality strap.