closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Doxa Dive watches...whats your take?

Master

Doxa Dive watches...whats your take?

Now that I moved my Shogun I am looking at a new addition to my humble dive watch collection..

I'd like to try something new, but keep to my 'old' standards of a simple, well proportioned (39-42mm), reliable dive watch. I have been mulling over a Squale matte 1521 for quite some time now, the only 'issue' is that this watch is not available on a nice bracelet (I don't like mesh).

This brings us to Doxa. I like the cushion shaped cases & vintage appeal but for some strange reason I have never ever handled, much less owned one. I mean, is this the same company that used to make the 'old' Doxas or are they just using the name? Where are they made? Also, if I buy online do they ship from EU?

I have heard a few complains re QC. Is this a case for concern? Are these watches well put together and hoe is fit and finish?

Ultimately I must decide between this and a Squale...any one here owns both?

Would like to learn more about the brand. Thanks!

I owned a Sea Rambler from new and it arrived with poor quality painted hands. At the time, Doxa did not see this as a fault so I sold it on at some loss. Later I understand Doxa improved the quality. There is a Sticky on this forum pertinent to your other questions.

I much prefer my Moxa:

Paul

The Doxas of old were decent. The new ones have been mostly polished excrement (using 'have been' because no idea what they are now, this is from 4 years back). Also, saying a 1000th of that was an immediate ban on the Doxa forum. That in itself tells me more about the company that a product that may or may not be less than good. TT's experience only reinforces their value (or lack thereof) in my eyes.

Master
    vintage good , new bad ...avoid is my recommendation. All evidence of Doxa's attitude towards current customers is about the worst I've seen. Totally put me off buying one ...and I was keen as mustard.

Ef these guys is what I would suggest in politespeak. Put your money into something else unless you buy a vintage.

I've owned two, an orange 1200T and my current Sharkhunter 800Ti

The Ti is absolutely fabulous quality for a boutique brand, really quite spectacular. Brish d and polished titanium, a clever clasp adjustment and tritium tubes. The older orange one had beautiful dial painting (in contrast to what was said above) and a great quality head, but the bracelet was only Ok and the clasp was atrocious.

So a mixed bag, but I love the looks and heritage, although I appreciate there's no connection to the old Swiss firm really.

Here's mine, the Ti watches really beat the steel ones into a cocked hat.

Last edited by DB9yeti; 2nd August 2016 at 17:43.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Newer....meh

Older....nice. I've got an old 750T Sharkhunter LE....looks good,well made and I find the beads-of-rice bracelet one of the most comfortable I've worn.

Go vintage for a real Doxa.

Orange 300T - yum.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    Thanks for all replies gents. Seems that what I have read is being reinforced here...

Old Doxas really are very tempting but I don't do vintage since I want modern reliability. It would also be a shame to 'beat' a vintage model as I want something to wear.

Master
    Squale are decent - i don't own one but have worn 3... all good from me :)

Interesting, I'd only come across these issue with new Doxas a couple days ago. Starting to not like em as much as i did

Craftsman
    not my taste, but each to their own.

Love 'em. Old...new...

Quote Originally Posted by demer03 View Post
    Love 'em. Old...new...
    Me too
    Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

A PRS68 will scratch that itch for a cushion case unless you really need an orange dial. In which case, get a Monster.

Quote Originally Posted by JDB View Post
    A PRS68 will scratch that itch for a cushion case unless you really need an orange dial. In which case, get a Monster.
    Dirk Pitt wouldn't wear a PRS68. Which could be a plus or a minus.

Personally I'd love a vintage 300T.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Doxa have made a limited edition 50th anniversary SUB300 (limited to 300 Professional [orange dial] models, plus 300 Sharkhunters and 300 Searamblers) - was very tempted (the Professional in particular looks really great), but was put off a bit by the cost and some poor reviews of customer service. This thread hasn't really reassured me (though of course itches are difficult not to scratch!!!!)

I did see those. Pics if you get one!

Craftsman
    I like the look of them, but this thread made me go research the company and they don't exactly come up smelling of roses. Will be avoiding personally!

Sadly not the original Doxa company, who had a very proud heritage and were pretty instrumental in the foundation of the modern Swiss watch industry.

Master
    Sadly not the original Doxa company, who had a very proud heritage and were pretty instrumental in the foundation of the modern Swiss watch industry.
    This is one aspect I'm really not digging...so few swiss watch companies with uninterrupted provenance remain it seems...

There are three kinds of Doxa
    1. Vintage
    2.Current/contemporary
    3.Doxas for the Asian market

For most part, they are well made and am sure there is an Asian component to manufacturing. There are still some iconic models being made. Doxa T-graph Sea Rambler is one of the most gorgeous chronos aroundz
    Ther are concerns about the QC And moderation on the Doxa forum on WUS, some of which is justified but mostly magnified. Doxa baiting is one of the favorite passtime on DWF sub forum on WUS. A casual observer would come away with an unjustifiably poor view of Doxa looking at some of their threads. I am not a fan but there are couple of Doxa models I like quite a lot. I would take them anyday over a Squale but they are at difference price points, so it is not a fair comparison IMO.

I've owned a few. QC is a concern. Not so much with the vintage or in fact the early reissues but certainly with modern ones.
    Gray

Doxa customer service is standing by to take your call!

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The Doxas of old were decent. The new ones have been mostly polished excrement (using 'have been' because no idea what they are now, this is from 4 years back).
    I have nothing to add.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I was looking at them a while back, they seem to be alot of money for what you get. And was put off by some reviews about the paint rubbing off.

Thought this was the pick of the new bunch: Mission 31 Sub

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by matt109 View Post
    Thought this was the pick of the new bunch: Mission 31 Sub
    I agree - that's pretty nice and I'd certainly be happy to add that to the fold.
    PS - if it's a Doxa, it's surely got to be orange...right?

Craftsman
    I like the look of them and if they were available from a local AD I would probably get one .But I couldn't be bothered ordering from theirr website with the potential hassles involved .The stories about poor service and quality control put me off .but I do.love there look

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    You do know these guys are Japanese don't you Chris?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Doesn't matter. Chris digs up the same s$&@ every time Doxa is mentioned.

Debunked, but hey, why let anything get in the way of a good internet story.

Quote Originally Posted by buddy13 View Post
    Thanks for all replies gents. Seems that what I have read is being reinforced here...

Old Doxas really are very tempting but I don't do vintage since I want modern reliability. It would also be a shame to 'beat' a vintage model as I want something to wear.
    I find that there are far more appealing choices out there for the money than their present-era stuff. Also, it seems that "modern reliability" and "modern Doxa" aren't necessarily correlated, which is a shame, because the products were generally quite good back when they were produced by the original Swiss company.

I just think one can do better when it comes to no-stress wearing than the current company's offerings.

s$&@?

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    I have nothing to add.
    Ever. To anything.

Doesn't matter. Chris digs up the same s$&@ every time Doxa is mentioned. Debunked, but hey, why let anything get in the way of a good internet story.

Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    Indeed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I don't get it, is there a story behind this?

The real Doxa's were a fairly reasonable watch in their day. The current stuff has nothing to do with that at all of course. I'm not a fan of fake stuff dressing up as something it isn't. If they were clear about being inspired by Doxa, etc, that would be less deceptive.

They are asking for a lot of money too for a brand with no AD's and so on. As far as I know they are an internet brand only.

Master

Mike

Did you miss the Doxa meltdown that hit WUS and turned into a historical thread worthy of its own forum here on TZ? Chris is nothing Seamaster73 loves his dose of Doxa

Master
    I had a 750T and loved the look of the watch. However, the paint is not on the numbers deep enough on the bezel and after a bit of use, you often see pictures whereby it's worn off.

I moved mine on before it became de-valued with paint drop out, on the bezel.

I used to follow the Doxa forum on WUS, and it is heavily moderated, and your not allowed to offer any comments that are perceived as negative to the brand

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I've owned two, an orange 1200T and my current Sharkhunter 800Ti The Ti is absolutely fabulous quality for a boutique brand, really quite spectacular. Brish d and polished titanium, a clever clasp adjustment and tritium tubes. The older orange one had beautiful dial painting (in contrast to what was said above) and a great quality head, but the bracelet was only Ok and the clasp was atrocious. So a mixed bag, but I love the looks and heritage, although I appreciate there's no connection to the old Swiss firm really. Here's mine, the Ti watches really beat the steel ones into a cocked hat.

Quote Originally Posted by bedlam View Post
    They are asking for a lot of money too for a brand with no AD's and so on. As far as I know they are an internet brand only.

They have a retail presence in Eastern Europe where they sell mainstream models rather than divers. They're a budget brand in those markets, similar to Atlantic, Adriatica, Roamer, etc.

Doxa has been owned by the Swiss Jenny family since the mid-1990s. In association with a marketing entrepreneur, the old dive watches were reissued. The provenance of the watches is dubious, the customer service is notorious.

They have quite a following and while not a big fan, I am perfectly happy with the ones I have.
    There are some who wake up to comment when certain brands are mentioned and I would take their opinion with a huge pinch of salt.

Dirk Pitt wouldn't wear a PRS68. Which could be a plus or a minus.

Mind you, after 40 odd years it's probably time he had a new watch but it gives me the opportunity to retell Lew Grade's quip after his company lost millions on making Raise the Titanic: 'It would have been cheaper to lower the ocean'.