timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Rolex to get

^
    Yes, rather gimmicky. :|

Explorer's a good shout, though.

Craftsman
    I really like the Explorer 1. Really is a great watch.

Craftsman

If can source excellent choice bigfish

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    If can source Explorer excellent choice bigfish

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    If can source excellent choice bigfish

- - - Updated - - -
    Don't think there is an issue getting a new Explorer is there ?

Whoever suggested the green glass black dial milgauss its a good shout. One of the few Rolex I'd wager will be wanted in the future.

Grand Master
    None of them!

If future-proofing is a key consideration maybe you shouldn`t be spending a few £K on a watch.

Buy what you like if you can afford it. Alternatively, buy secondhand, but don`t rely on future values and don`t let that sway your thinking.

Trying to predict future values of watches is fraught with uncertainty; I think we'll see big changes over the next 10-15 years in the way conventional watches are perceived.

Paul

Master
    ^^^^^^
    I tend to agree, as traditional mechanical watch development is basically static, more evolution than revolution and as technology moves forward, I think they'll be left behind or go even higher up the luxury ladder.

Very fine watches now are just a luxury item, great to be enjoyed but realistically unnecessary. Having said that it doesn't stop me constantly looking for the next one to add to the collection

Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    None of them!

If future-proofing is a key consideration maybe you shouldn`t be spending a few £K on a watch.

Buy what you like if you can afford it. Alternatively, buy secondhand, but don`t rely on future values and don`t let that sway your thinking.

Trying to predict future values of watches is fraught with uncertainty; I think we'll see big changes over the next 10-15 years in the way conventional watches are perceived.

Paul
    Not hugely Paul TBH.

Whilst I know your likes, there are a few ways of mitigating things.

Buying a SS Sports model at retail (or slightly less) is pretty sure fire.

Bad things do are (no specific order) TT of any flavour, new models over list, new (supposed limited runs) unless you are n for the long haul, non sports, precious metal models.

Easy really.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Blog Entries

116600SDc

Seadweller 4000

Grand Master
    Agreed, some models are likely to lose money faster than others, but my point is that predicting future trends isn`t straightforward. I think we're entering uncharted waters regarding watch values and that's why I wouldn`t rely on any models holding their value as they have in the past.

If maintaining high residual value is that much of a priority I question the whole logic of buying a Rolex. In the same way that we accept the losses on depreciation with cars my 'base case' assumption would be to write off at least 50% of the cost of a new watch. If you can`t spare the money, and accept the loss of a substantial amount of the purchase price, maybe it's not the right decision. The alternative is to buy the watch you like, keep it long term, and don`t fret about the value or potential resale. A far healthier approach IMO.

Paul

Submariner.

Apprentice
    Hulk or green milgaus ... :)

Apprentice
    Sub 5513 and Explorer 2 16570

Master
    I think Rolex are in a bit of a transition period at the moment.. After this years BaselWorld and their multiple model upgrades and re-sizing it will be interesting to see what happens to the second hand market over the next 5 years. Will the value of the now smaller and possibley slightly less desirable watches go down or will inflation/price increases keep it all in line? Who knows! What if gold makes a come back?

That said, IMO if the OP picks up a used SS Sports model at a good price he won't go far wrong :)

Question

So is the answer to the O/P a) an Omega, not Rolex? and b) a lovely CK2998?

Answers on a postcard please......

benwoodroffe
    I think the best Rolex to get is the one you want the most, that suits your budget

If you're looking to do the cash in the wrist thing - if buying new, get the one with the longest waiting list, if used, the one that's the hardest to find.

For me that's the Oyster Perpetual 39mm in grey, and I think Rolex know who the likes of I am and they know that I would have bought a vintage datejust by now - had they not come up with that something new for me to buy from them, instead of me buying a watch they made ages ago from someone else.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    So is the answer to the O/P a) an Omega, not Rolex? and b) a lovely CK2998?

Answers on a postcard please......

Well, looks like I have the new model Explorer to go and see if I like. Postcard sent 👍

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Well, looks like I have the new model Explorer to go and see if I like. Postcard sent 
    Ive always liked the look of the old explorer, not having seen the new model in the flesh though it certainly looks even more appealing in photos. Good luck and would be a mighty fine addition to your existing collection :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    The one you can afford and if you can afford one, a Seadweller 4000c

M

What he said

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Quite simply the one you like the look of most, you will look at it many thousands of times. Anyone who worries about future values, and uses the term "investment" in regard to watches is in the wrong hobby.

Seadweller

Apprentice

Best Rolex to get

My vote is for BLNR, SD4000

Apprentice

Green Milgauss/black dial

Or SD 4000/NLNR

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Whoever suggested the green glass black dial milgauss its a good shout. One of the few Rolex I'd wager will be wanted in the future.
    Yes, a great watch , and likely to be far more appreciated in the long term. However, the only reason to buy any luxury item is because you enjoy it.

It seems that any Rolex that is on verge of being discontinued or has been, is the one to have.

Any of the 'sports' modules will always be a fairly safe bet I think based on history.

Always a Submariner Date

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I'd say a Hulk. But all subs will do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post

I bought my first new Rolex in 1981 (GMT-Master) for £208 duty-free (around £500 in UK shops?). Not sure its value now, but has to be around £3k?

"Cheapest watch I have ever owned"

Correct - if a 16750, one owner with box and papers, you are looking north of £5.5K if its in reasonable condition.

Cheap as chips. I also got mine in 81, but bought 2nd hand in the UK and it cost me £325.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by helidoc View Post
    Always a Submariner Date

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche