closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Fantastic new Vacheron Constantin ........

Fantastic new Vacheron Constantin ........

Personally I think this looks a wonderful design:

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...-lile-in-steel

I would buy one was it not for history teaching me that whenever I have strayed from Rolex I have
    lost a fortune with rubbish residuals- still- the VC looks a great watch.....

It's quite a nice design and original, but I'm not a great fan of white dials.

It seems a bit 'stark' for want of a better word, but that's probably just my view.

M.

Craftsman
    The underside looks incredible, I could stare at that for hours, im underwhelmed by the dial though and the 'Art Deco' lugs don't seem to fit in with the rest of the design

At $14,900 though it's not going to be a problem for me!!

Master
    Love the detail of the case and lugs and beautiful finishing of the movement, but not a fan of the dial.

Not sure whether it's colour combo of inner and outer detail (white and grey - cold and stark!!!) or type of numerals used.
    If they had applied a textured finish to part of the dial, maybe it might have looked a little more attractive.
    Is it me or does the dial look kinda cheap?

I want to like it, but can't get too excited unfortunately.

Craftsman
    This is a brand I've never done any research on. I must look into them more.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    This is a brand I've never done any research on. I must look into them more.
    The oldest watch manufacture in continuous production on the planet!!

Certainly has a vintage style to it, or course with a much larger size. I really don't like that displayed date wheel, and also would have preferred it to be manual wind as that rotor blocking such a beautiful movement on display seems a bit of a shame.

Not that it's a consideration for me anyway, just slightly our of my budget.

Master
    I guess this is the new direction, lower price offerings instead of cutting prices. I perosnally do not like it.

That date display would drive me mad.

Must admit the movement looks great but no point in putting on a watch the movement side up!

I actually really like that dial

Craftsman
    Doesn't seem to have that VC look if you know what I mean. Im sure its a remarkable piece of horology but not for me ( even if it was in my league).

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    The oldest watch manufacture in continuous production on the planet!!
    Guess they have never really appealed to me so I never looked into them.

Going against what seems to be the developing consensus on the thread, but I really like it, exposed date wheel included

I've seen the quai-de-lile in the flesh, admittedly the precious metal variant and not this steel one, and to my mind it has an awful lot going for it. The case design and finishing is fantastic and it really stands out from more formal offerings from the likes of Patek etc but with incredible WIS provenience. The open date wheel is a 'marmite' design though. The price of the steel version is compelling if you want an entry in top end watches though

On paper and photos I like it. But the quirky design is one of those that I find hard to judge unless i see it. Still quite expensive - if you can find this around the $10k mark then definitely a proposition.

I sort of do really like it, just not 100% on the exposed date wheel, isnt there a kickstarter watch with a very similar design seen recently on this forum.
    As for the price, not for me

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    It's quite a nice design and original, but I'm not a great fan of white dials.
    Quote Originally Posted by trainspanner View Post
    The underside looks incredible, I could stare at that for hours, im underwhelmed by the dial though and the 'Art Deco' lugs don't seem to fit in with the rest of the design
    Quote Originally Posted by klunk View Post
    Love the detail of the case and lugs and beautiful finishing of the movement, but not a fan of the dial.

Not sure whether it's colour combo of inner and outer detail (white and grey - cold and stark!!!) or type of numerals used.
    There’s always the black version – https://www.chrono24.co.uk/vacheronc...-id4567011.htm

Craftsman
    Theres something I really like about that watch. Whether its the lines on the case or the exposed date wheel, im not sure exactly what. I love the skeletal/transparent case back showing the internals As well. Thanks for the link.

I had a play around with the VC configurator and came up with this version, in titanium with palladium flanks, which I find more pleasing to the eye.

Last edited by DMC102; 29th July 2016 at 17:40.

Master
    A watch that looks better at the back. Not keen on that dial I'm afraid. And it is how much?

Like the numerals and case/lug shape but I'd like it better without the date wheel and with a solid caseback and about half the price.

Banned
    Sorry to say it, but that is not going to save the Richemont Group...

I am a fan of titanium and palladium but that dial is horrible
    Gray

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Sorry to say it, but that is not going to save the Richemont Group...
    Only you can buddy. They are waiting for you.

Sorry for quoting him.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Only you can buddy. They are waiting for you.

Sorry for quoting him.
    But, but, think of all the people you just "miffed". How are you going to make this up to them?

Craftsman
    I think it's fabulous. Very distinctive. Very nice detailing but stark at the same time. I love austere watches which are highly legible. That's a definite hit for me.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

$14 500 for a Geneva hallmark calibre is very reasonable. Haute Horlogerie for the price of a Rolex or a slightly bling Breitling...

Seems a great choice if you like your watches and if the dial doesn't put you off
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    The dial with the open date wheel ruins it for me .I hope all the top brands start doing more affordable entry level watches ,as long as they don't make major compromises to reach a particular price point as you don't want to compromise the brand.

Interesting design, but the visible date wheel is just too busy :(

Quote Originally Posted by Da Vinci View Post
    Interesting design, but the visible date wheel is just too busy :(
    Technically it's not a date wheel - the pointer is what moves and the date 'wheel' is fixed.

Blog Entries
    Had a few VCs, including the 47040 Overseas, which for some odd reason I preferred looking at in its box, than wearing - gorgeous watches in every respect.

Have one 42042 left which will be sold one day, however, this new design, to me, tells me VC are straying.

Still prefer my Blancpains, more 'pleasing' to my eyes

Thank goodness we have differing tastes

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by ingenioren View Post
    Had a few VCs, including the 47040 Overseas, which for some odd reason I preferred looking at in its box, than wearing - gorgeous watches in every respect.

Have one 42042 left which will be sold one day, however, this new design, to me, tells me VC are straying.

Still prefer my Blancpains, more 'pleasing' to my eyes

Thank goodness we have differing tastes
    VC introduced the Quai de L'ile range in 2008 so it is not a new design. At the time, it was a very avant garde design and had many unique features from a horological perspective but it has always polarised opinion as to its looks. This new cheaper version is a definite improvement but still not my cup of tea.

Craftsman
    I think I'd save up the extra pennies and get a Patrimony Traditionelle Small Seconds.

I like it

I really like it, including the date wheel.

Journeyman
    Vacheron very much interest me. I have seen very few actual watches pictures and articles mainly. I do appreciate they are very much at the top end of the market with a great history. I always see them as classy and understated. I would be interested to know from fans and owners what is the wow factor for them or what makes them so desirable.

Journeyman
    The more I look at it the more I like it.

Apprentice
    Dont like this...looks kind of 'gimmicky'. Much prefer the Overseas or Patrimony or if you have the wonga the Quai de L'ile

The new VC Overseas chrono looks 'terrible' imho.

What's going on ! the BIG double date at12 o'clock has disappeared to be replaced with a date at 4 o'clock position.

The dial now looks very bland and boring.

A new inhouse movement but a price hike of £5k over previous model really
    Last edited by UKWatchGuy; 3rd August 2016 at 13:35.

Quote Originally Posted by UKWatchGuy View Post
    The new VC Overseas chrono looks 'terrible' imho.

What's going on ! the BIG double date at12 o'clock has disappeared to be replaced with a date at 4 o'clock position.

The dial now looks very bland and boring.

A new inhouse movement but a price hike of £5k over previous model really
    +1 - the older version looked way more interesting. The new one is just bland.

Master
    I like it and would definitely try one

I wonder if Jack Forster wrote his piece on that watch before or after his trip to Monticello on VC's dime?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/at...n-cars-watches

:-$

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    I personally do not like it.
    Me neither
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

It looks a very interesting piece?

I've an Oris dress watch with a similar date system but on the outside of the dial. Not quite in the same league though? ;)

benwoodroffe
    i like it, looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I wonder if Jack Forster wrote his piece on that watch before or after his trip to Monticello on VC's dime?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/at...n-cars-watches

:-$

This appears to be a major flaw with Hodinkee- their advertising revenue from manufacturers must be considerable and despite reviewing hundreds of watches they are yet to say one is bad!
    Recently one of their editorial team addressed this issue by saying that by giving an obviously poor watch a bad review
    it is 'lazy journalism'.....which is quite obviously a load of crap- journalists with integrity are critical whether the product is good or bad, that's the whole point.
    Hodinkee clearly have a great business model and have gone from nothing to 20 full time staff in no time- but many other watch websites and blogs give better more informative and honest reviews of new watches hitting the market because they are not worried about biting the hand that feeds them.

Master
    I'm not a fan unfortunately. Busy dial, case looks like a Parmigiani copy, movement isn't exactly pretty and the rotor is awfull.

Quote Originally Posted by farmkid View Post
    This appears to be a major flaw with Hodinkee- their advertising revenue from manufacturers must be considerable and despite reviewing hundreds of watches they are yet to say one is bad!
    Recently one of their editorial team addressed this issue by saying that by giving an obviously poor watch a bad review
    it is 'lazy journalism'.....which is quite obviously a load of crap- journalists with integrity are critical whether the product is good or bad, that's the whole point.
    Hodinkee clearly have a great business model and have gone from nothing to 20 full time staff in no time- but many other watch websites and blogs give better more informative and honest reviews of new watches hitting the market because they are not worried about biting the hand that feeds them.
    I agree with you - you could almost read that editorial piece policy as a manifest of the issues that aren't going to get addressed anytime soon.

They'll point to the Monticello article by way of "disclosure", and yet they they (Forster) have written a glowing VC piece every month for the last three months; at some stage in that cycle, he was aware of junkets and yet no where in the articles was it flagged.

I don't think that's good. In fact, for me it casts a bit of a pall over both Hodinkee and Vacheron - which is a great shame. For what it's worth, I do really like that dial.

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I agree with you - you could almost read that editorial piece policy as a manifest of the issues that aren't going to get addressed anytime soon.

They'll point to the Monticello article by way of "disclosure", and yet they they (Forster) have written a glowing VC piece every month for the last three months; at some stage in that cycle, he was aware of junkets and yet no where in the articles was it flagged.

I don't think that's good. In fact, for me it casts a bit of a pall over both Hodinkee and Vacheron - which is a great shame. For what it's worth, I do really like that dial.
    And yet another VC article on Hodinkee, not fishy at all.....

Love everything except for the date wheel -once it gets into and beyond the twenties it gets cramped and starts to look more like one large number instead of a series of individual pairs of digits.