closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Trip to Budapest

Trip to Budapest

Just booked to go to Budapest in November and after some must sees and recommendations? We've booked 5 nights and are staying 06. Terézváros area.

Had a bit of a look around and will visit the House of Terror Museum and definitely the pinball museum! Any other recommendations? Had a look via search last night and saw some good comments about the city.

Any recommendations on bars/pubs - quirky, historic or interesting ones?

Also - I see Vienna is just under 3hrs away by train. Worth a day trip or will that not do it justice?

Funicular side of the famous Chain Bridge, turn right up the side street and visit the quirky bar/cafe on your left about 30 yards up the street. Full of old curios/memorabilia. Old Toy shop a bit further up the same street same side.

Walk/Tram to Green Bridge. Near there is a great indoor/outdoor market place - plenty of bars/cafes.

Basilica and up to the Castle a must.

Dreha!

Be sure to eat at Gundel and/or Mátyás Pince for the experience, although my favourite place is Paprika (be sure to book).

Master
    If you're adventurous and not planning on going out dressed up and would prefer lots of good beer at reasonable prices the ruins bars in the Jewish Quarter can be fun,just remember to take cash as they don't take cards.
    Basically they are pop up bars set up in really old derelict buildings that nobody can afford to refurbish.

Craftsman
    If you and your travelling partner(s) are into puzzle games, have a look at Claustrophilia. It's much like the Crystal Maze, where you solve puzzles (in our case, slowly!) to move from room to room. Great fun and sometimes frustratingly challenging.

Thanks for the tips/info to date. All noted and bookmarked!

Calling Mr Curta. your thread has arrived!

I wrote up this in 2009 so might need a sense check but I've just updated some of the links:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...l=1#post913687

Vienna is one of my favourite cities but I wouldn't consider a trip there - you'll just end up doing neither city justice.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post

I wrote up this in 2009 so might need a sense check but I've just updated some of the links:
    http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...l=1#post913687

Vienna is one of my favourite cities but I wouldn't consider a trip there - you'll just end up doing neither city justice.
    Fantastic - thank you very much. I didn't go that far back (stopped at 2013). Will have a read through and thanks again for the updates.

Point noted re: Vienna - appreciate the feedback on that. I did wonder to be honest

Quote Originally Posted by Carlton-Browne View Post
    Reporting in... We lived in Budapest for four years, from 2010 to 2014. Feel free to drop me a PM of there are any specific things that you would like to ask.

There are a great many places to visit; the Castle District, Gellért Hill and citadel, Heroes Square, City Park, the fabulous Parliament building, Chain Bridge, St Steven's Basilica, Opera House, Danube river, Children's Railway, Memento Park (old soviet statues), thermal baths, Central Market, Margaret Island, the old Jewish quarter with Gozsdu Udvar and terrific 'ruin pubs'. The pop-up ones will be closed by November but there are plenty of permanent versions such as the slightly touristy Szimpla Kert.

As mentioned earlier, escape rooms are a big thing now and are usually very well done.

The Terror House and the Holocaust Museum are both very sensitively presented and highly recommended.

Most people transfer by taxi on arrival; make sure that you use the official kiosks to book and not the 'official' touts hanging around the airport doors.

There's some great food available, and good value away form the tourist traps of Váci utca and along the river. All inclusive Sunday brunches in the big hotels are an institution.

Enjoy, try some pálinka (and Unicum if you dare), and remember to say Egészségére!

I forgot to mention these:

Things evolve so check out the excellent Funzine website before you go for up-to-date local information and tips. Copies of the magazine are readily available in hotels and restaurants.

http://www.funzine.hu

If live music is of interest, the A38 and Akvárium club are great venues. The latter is a good spot for a beer whilst exploring the city.

Quote Originally Posted by SeePee View Post
    If you're adventurous and not planning on going out dressed up and would prefer lots of good beer at reasonable prices the ruins bars in the Jewish Quarter can be fun,just remember to take cash as they don't take cards.
    Basically they are pop up bars set up in really old derelict buildings that nobody can afford to refurbish.
    Good tip on District 8, which is my favourite area in town for food and drink. It's changed dramatically since I started visiting in 2009; there are new places every time I'm back.

Like any big city, Budapest offers a completely different experience depending on where you go. There's no lack of tacky tourist traps in certain areas — fair enough given the chav-o bachelor parties that sometimes inflict themselves on the town — but it's a world-class city with huge variety. There's something for everybody if you know where to look and where to avoid.

Wikitravel has a reasonably comprehensive entry that's well worth the read before visiting: http://wikitravel.org/en/Budapest

Yes, some great bars in District VIII, it's very nice behind the museum around Mikszáth Kálmán tér. The Jewish Quarter is in District VII, the other side of Rákóczi út.

Thanks again for the detailed input - great info and tips.

Been really interested in what the 'ruin bars' are - like this kind of thing to be honest. Will definitely look into the District 8 area.

Thanks for the tips on Sunday Brunch Mr Curta - and the pálinka. Seems an interesting tipple! Unicum not so sure but I'll give it a go. Appreciate the info on the music venues too, will keep an eye on this as we get closer.

I'm a bit of a culture vulture these days and try things off the beaten path as opposed to touristy stuff. Looking forward to visiting a lot of the places mentioned, and as a big fan of some types of European architecture, this will be a good trip.

Thanks once again to all who have contributed. As always this site comes up trumps when I'm planning a trip!

Also - when we are there, I have seen Hungary are at home to Andorra in a football WCQ on Sunday. Would this be easy enough to get tickets to?

I see most of their home fixtures have been played at the Ferencváros stadium due to redevelopment? Is this still likely to be the case?

Get your teeth done :)
    There are two trams that run either side of the river which offers a very cheap sightseeing tour. 2 and 11 I believe. There is also a boat which is classed as public transport and can be used within the tram ticket multi day purchase.
    I loved the outdoor thermal pool which name escapes me but it's not the Gellert one.
    Margrit Island is a traffic free haven and is a great way to spend a lazy day. There are electric cars to hire which are good fun.
    If you are heading back from Margrit Island towards District V and V1, as you come across the Margrit Bridge to the side of the river, you will see a McDonalds on the corner. Turn left just before Mc Ds and about four or five doors down on the same side is a modern looking cafe selling coffee, cakes and hot chocolate. Go in here and I guarantee it will be one of the gastronomic highlights of your break. There are cakes that would feed three or four , hot chocolate that you wouldn't believe and great coffees too. All for a price that you couldn't comprehend.
    Then get your teeth done again.
    Last edited by thegoat; 27th July 2016 at 19:46.

Blog Entries
    This was the most memorable part of my trip...

http://www.gellertbath.com

Really lovely...

The Hungarians were generally pleasant if a little on the somber/ miserable side

I didn't have much luck with food... So, go on advice

Craftsman
    Szimpla Kert as said is the big ruin bar, plenty of tourists but it is busy every night and really good atmosphere every time I've been.

Would take a trip to the baths, we got the 'VIP' package which gave access to a private upstairs place to sit around, with free water/fruit etc. Made staying for the day much easier as you could chill out up there and just head down to the saunas every so often. It was pretty expensive though ~Ł40 each iirc. If you don't fancy more than an hour or two then just go for the regular entry.

Lovely city, you'll find lots of nice places (bars!) just wandering around.

Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    [...]I loved the outdoor thermal pool which name escapes me but it's not the Gellert one[...]
    Rudas, on the Buda side by the river, or Széchenyi a bit farther into the Pest side?

They're both great, though I'd probably go with Széchenyi if I could only do one, as it seems to be a bit more special. Nice rooftop view at Rudas, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Belligero View Post
    Rudas, on the Buda side by the river, or Széchenyi a bit farther into the Pest side?

They're both great, though I'd probably go with Széchenyi if I could only do one, as it seems to be a bit more special. Nice rooftop view at Rudas, though.
    That's the one, Szechenyi!
    Loads of different pools with varying temperatures and two big outdoor pools, one for swimming and one for getting battered at chess by the local pensioners.

Craftsman
    Szechenyi was also the one I was talking about, forgot to include the name!

Terror House, Heros Square, Szecheyni Baths, Fishermans Bastion and the Citadel, Parliament Building and if you get the chance to get out the city and are interested in the cold war period go to the Statue Park. There's a cool museum on the far side of Gelert Hill which tells the story of how it became an underground hospital during the invasion era and the Opera House is stunning and well worth a visit too.

Otherwise just wander around and soak it all up, there are some great coffee houses and strudel parlours and I have to say there are few cities where I have felt as safe walking around as Budapest - it's almost like the citizens are still in fear of the secret police (the last soviet soldier only left in 1999 i believe).

In case you hadn't guessed, I love Budapest!
    Last edited by Ashtennisguru; 28th July 2016 at 16:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtennisguru View Post
    There's a cool museum on the far side of Gelert Hill which tells the story of how it became an underground hospital during the invasion era...
    The Hospital in the Rock is fascinating, good call. There are several daily tours in English and they last about an hour. It's actually in the Castle District.

My to-do list is growing significantly here. Some fascinating tips have been mentioned, especially the Statue Park and the hospital in the rock. And the thermal baths look great

Appreciate all the information given on this to date. Thanks all for taking the time for tips and stuff. Welcome this all - already can't wait for it and haven't even been on my main summer holiday yet (which seems to be taking second place to planning Budapest even though its been booked since last November!)

You will probably need to take a taxi (although it is possible on public transport) to reach Memento Park, but it is worth the effort. Don't miss the museum outside the main park in the long shed-like building close to Stalin's Boots. Uber indicate a fare of 3,000 - 4,000 HUF each way, around a tenner.

I wouldn't hail a taxi on the street, it is much better to book by phone (operators speak English or your hotel can do it for you). City Taxi and Főtaxi are reliable, I tended to use City but would be inclined to give Uber a try now.

There are several of hop-on, hop-off bus operators in the city and all are quite good value, covering the main tourist destinations for two days. Most of them include an evening boat trip as well.

http://eng.bigbustours.com/budapest/home.html
    http://www.citytour.hu/en

Szentendre is a nice place for a trip out of the city, and has the excellent open-air Skanzen Ethnographic Museum nearby. The Visegrád - Esztergom loop is also a good day trip but probably requires a hire car.

In November please make sure that you check attraction opening hours before making any special excursions out of the city!

Another one, sorry.
    Go to the opera, it's amazing and it costs about 50 p . I went yo see Madam Butterfly and had a private box right next to the stage and I'm sure it cost about Ł20 .
    Plus it's on the main shopping street and there is a number of decent watch shops to pop in to.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I'd love to be more specific but all I can say is that it's a great place. I base this on the fact that I spent a few days there a while back and can remember (in various amounts of clarity) wandering round some market,walking up some hill to the castle and visiting lots of nice drinking establishments.
    Friendly people as I recollect.
    Sorry to have been of little or no help!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Curta View Post
    The Hospital in the Rock is fascinating, good call. There are several daily tours in English and they last about an hour. It's actually in the Castle District.
    Thank you - couldn't for the life of me think of it's official name!

Master
    I love Budapest. My favourite city break destination by a mile. I've been 6 times but I can't add anything given the great suggestions already. I normally just go for thermal treatments and stay at the helia hotel, ugly but a massage paradise and cheap as chips.
    Have fun, it's a great place.

Regarding Sunday Brunches; my personal favourites are The Kempinski (classy), The Corinthia (an Asian twist) and The Castle District Hilton (superb views across the river to Parliament).

I don't care much for Peppers! at The Marriott which is cheaper and usually crammed, it can be a bit of a bunfight. The food options at The InterContinental also failed to impress. A shame, as both are in great locations.

Le Méridien falls somewhere in-between in my book and The Gresham Palace is the smartest of the lot but with a more limited menu.

There are several others to choose from as well!

Master
    Sorry to resurrect the thread but I need to publicly thank Mr Curta for the fabulous tip about Sunday brunch at the Corinthia. I've just been and it was very nice. This is my 7th time in Budapest and I can't believe I've never done before.

Master
    I treated both my girls last year(seperatly with there boyfriends) they loved it -I just booked for myself and Mrs Lewis as a surprise 50th for her(end of June)

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Sorry to resurrect the thread but I need to publicly thank Mr Curta for the fabulous tip about Sunday brunch at the Corinthia. I've just been and it was very nice. This is my 7th time in Budapest and I can't believe I've never done before.
    That's brilliant to hear! The Corinthia is slightly off the main tourist trail so is often overlooked. We'll be back in Budapest in the summer thanks to the wonderful people at Make-A-Wish fulfilling Laura's dream to revisit friends, locations and activities that she loves there. The Corinthia brunch is amongst them, they make a big effort to keep children entertained.

I did fifty nights at the Corinthia last year. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Budapest.

Master
    I'm sure it has been mentioned before, but the New York Cafe is also worth a visit.

Master
    Here right now sat on the banks of the Danube with a staropramen watching the Red Bull Airrace
    Last edited by lewie; 2nd July 2017 at 13:38.

A quick note on the boozy brunches; they stop at most of the hotels during the summer months so don't turn up without checking first!

Journeyman
    Not my initial thread but followed with interest, will be my 2nd time there later this month to watch the F1.

Have planned to do/visit a few of the suggestions on this thread - thanks very much!

On Friday evening I plan to be relaxing in Kobuci Kert, my favourite summer beer garden, enjoying listening to my favourite local band.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seamaster73 View Post
    I did fifty nights at the Corinthia last year. Wouldn't stay anywhere else in Budapest.
    It's a fantastic hotel, we stayed there the two times we visited Budapest and loved it.

Echoing the above, Budapest is a fantastic city. One of my favourite European city breaks.

If you want good contemporary Hungarian food, try Menza - http://www.menzaetterem.hu/, they do good breakfast/brunch too.

A trip to Aquaworld (http://www.aquaworldresort.hu/en) is a great day out. It's one of the largest indoor water parks in Europe and fantastic fun (for all ages!).

Master
    Annoyed PB is restricted now as I have a few pics to post up