closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Half forgotten movies

Half forgotten movies

Bit of surfing brought me to a clip of the 1974 movie "The Dove". Got me thinking about those movies that don't seem to have stood the test of time, but which for me are still great. So I welcome reminders of similar films, a couple to get the ball rolling, how about 70s period piece "Walkabout" which I was amazed by as a kid, and 80's gangster/musical The Cotton Club which was so good I was able to overlook Richard Gere's total inability to act for most of it!

Prince of..... Oh um what was it again?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    I always seem to rhyme of films none of my mates have seen.

We were talking about Stephen King's "Christine" the other day about the old Plymouth Fury coming to life, and I mentioned Maximum Overdrive (not Emilio Estevez's finest hour...) and Killdozer.
    Blank looks all around the table.

Philistines!

Maximum Overdrive trailer; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgIgYhaqKeo

And here's a treat - Killdozer full movie on public domain! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r3y-SRsNPI

Craftsman
    Maximum Overdrive probably got me into AC/DC.

Master
    Big Wednesday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Wednesday

Two Lane Blocktop

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Lane_Blacktop

Loved both of these back in the eighties when they were already a decade old, doubt many people under 35 have seen or heard of them sadly.

must check out Big Wednesday.

How about "the driver" with Ryan O'Neal, very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    I always seem to rhyme of films none of my mates have seen.

We were talking about Stephen King's "Christine" the other day about the old Plymouth Fury coming to life, and I mentioned Maximum Overdrive (not Emilio Estevez's finest hour...) and Killdozer.
    Blank looks all around the table.

Philistines!

Maximum Overdrive trailer; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgIgYhaqKeo

And here's a treat - Killdozer full movie on public domain! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1r3y-SRsNPI

Christine is probably one of all time movies from the 80s.Even read the book which is very rare for me.

Always liked,

Salute of the jugger

Caligula

The beast in heat

Disney's The Black hole

wook

Not so old (1995) but always like to watch it:
    "Smoke"

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Whilst it's not that old, "office space" seems to have aged quite badly visually, but is still a very funny film!!!!

Thief - James Caan:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_(film)

Good heist thriller. Got it on DVD a few years ago.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Davis View Post

Two Lane Blocktop

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-Lane_Blacktop

Loved both of these back in the eighties when they were already a decade old, doubt many people under 35 have seen or heard of them sadly.
    and Vanishing Point
    Last edited by solwisesteve; 27th July 2016 at 16:43.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    Bit of surfing brought me to a clip of the 1974 movie "The Dove". Got me thinking about those movies that don't seem to have stood the test of time, but which for me are still great. So I welcome reminders of similar films, a couple to get the ball rolling, how about 70s period piece "Walkabout" which I was amazed by as a kid, and 80's gangster/musical The Cotton Club which was so good I was able to overlook Richard Gere's total inability to act for most of it!
    I too enjoyed Walkabout but I was a teenager at the time and only watched it for the lovely jenny...

Gone in 60 seconds, 1974 version

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by comdiver View Post
    Gone in 60 seconds, 1974 version
    Never knew the Nick Cage one was a remake but I shouldn't be surprised with Hollywoods love of doing this. Can't imagine George Cole in updated version thats for sure.

A film I remember fondly as a child was 'The Mercenaries' staring Rod Taylor. Thought it was fantastic and had me playing with my action men for weeks afterwards. I believe the film is also known as 'Dark Side of the Sun' and gets 6.9 on IMDB.

Craftsman
    Watched Dark Star a couple of weeks ago and I think it is still great, but my whole family were perplexed by it.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    and Vanishing Point
    Loved Warren Oates in 2 lane Blacktop.

" IF " is one of my favourites.

Re Warren Oates:

One of my favourites is 'Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia', starring Oates & directed by Peckinpah. Brilliant.

On a different tack, 'Bilitis', directed by (not Diddy) David Hamilton was a guilty pleasure in the days of VHS...
    ______

​Jim.

Quote Originally Posted by Robertf View Post
    How about "the driver" with Ryan O'Neal, very cool!
    I was just thinking about The Driver last night! I was actually mulling over who I would have in a remake, and what sort of cars to use. Now, to use a self-driving Tesla ....... or not to use a self-driving Tesla, that is the question!

84 Charlie MoPic

Late 80's Vietnam film, which i loved, but probably overshadowed by Platoon and FMJ at the time.
    The whole movie is filmed through a video camera carried by one of the soldiers who is attached to a recon platoon.

Also Russian Afghan war film about a lost Russian tank trying to get back to base.I remember it being called 'beast of war' but have also seen it called 'the beast'

Brighty
    Last edited by Brighty; 27th July 2016 at 17:31.

The Squeeze.
    1977 heist/kidnap film.
    Stacey Keach plays a drunken Met policeman ( with, I think a poor English accent!) and Freddie Starr plays his accomplice. Nasty violence in places, which was I guess the vogue back then and some glorious shots of old 70s London.
    Probably very dated now, I've seen it once on late night tele back in the 80s and it's never made it to dvd.
    Also a great prog type soundtrack by David Hentschel which also is unavailable!
    Find it if you can......

Craftsman
    Roadhouse with Swayze. He rips a mans throat out and there are 2 proper fit pieces in it. What more do you need

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    84 Charlie MoPic

Late 80's Vietnam film, which i loved, but probably overshadowed by Platoon and FMJ at the time.
    The whole movie is filmed through a video camera carried by one of the soldiers who is attached to a recon platoon.

Also Russian Afghan war film about a lost Russian tank trying to get back to base.I remember it being called 'beast of war' but have also seen it called 'the beast'

Brighty
    Brilliant film.........the original 'found footage' movie....

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSim View Post
    Roadhouse with Swayze. He rips a mans throat out and there are 2 proper fit pieces in it. What more do you need
    Great film, I have this on DVD, a perfect '80s era film. Great music, Soft focus love scene, gratuitous violence and lots of slow motion work!

Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    Watched Dark Star a couple of weeks ago and I think it is still great, but my whole family were perplexed by it.
    I've watched this a few times now, I love Blakes7, 2001 A Space Odyssey, Red Dwarf etc but I just don't get it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Grandiloquence View Post
    Thief - James Caan:
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thief_(film)

Good heist thriller. Got it on DVD a few years ago.
    Good film, the Tangerine Dream soundtrack is excellent!

I'll add 'The Keep' to that too, early Michael Mann film with a great soundtrack (Tangerine Dream again) a good dose of stars and a mix of supernatural and Nazis!

On a more modern note, 'Gattaca' and 'Equilibrium' and 'Existenz' are all great but largely missed late '90s/early 2000s sci-fi films, that got overtaken by The Matrix, The 5th Element, Minority Report etc.

Oh and 2010: The year we make contact is a great follow up to 2001, if missing on the production/design of the original.
    Last edited by hoopsontoast; 27th July 2016 at 21:50.

Good to see some fellow Warren Oates fans. I love Two-Lane Blacktop. Warren Oates acting brilliantly, James Taylor and Dennis Wilson should have stuck to music.

I will raise you Dillinger and Race With the Devil.

I haven't watched either for years but can recall enjoying them.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by simesman View Post
    Thought about Dark Star the following day after I'd posted about Big Wednesday and Two Lane Blacktop. The problem with Dark Star is it takes so long to get going that most people have lost interest and miss the great negotiating with the bomb.

Master
    "Krull" and "Howard the duck". Loved them as a child. "Predestination" made in 2014 is another one I enjoyed but nobody but me seems to have watched it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    Re Warren Oates:

One of my favourites is 'Bring Me The Head Of Alfredo Garcia', starring Oates & directed by Peckinpah. Brilliant.

On a different tack, 'Bilitis', directed by (not Diddy) David Hamilton was a guilty pleasure in the days of VHS...
    Race with the devil .Warren Oates and Peter Fonda .

Journeyman
    The Game - Michael Douglas

The Parallax View (1974) staring Warren Beatty. The montage scene being the most memorable with a fantastic a score and disturbing imagery -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNMi8fXi5Os
    Last edited by mylofitz; 28th July 2016 at 07:31.

Blog Entries
    Dog Day Afternoon and Three Days of the Condor. Both movies I watched in the cinema when I was about 16 y/o. Haven't seen them since (unlike Taxi Driver, Godfather I, II, III, etc)

Menno

Duel - 1971 - with Dennis Weaver and a Peterbilt tanker - directed by Steven Spielberg

Think it was originally a made for tv movie but was released in Cinemas