closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Excellent video regarding watch scams to watch out for!

Excellent video regarding watch scams to watch out for!

This popped up on my youtube feed so thought I'd share it with you guys as it may help someone. I had no idea half of this stuff was going on. Even bank transfers aren't 100%!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivWsgx071O8

Master
    Cheers!

Master
    Fascinating, and educational. Scary too!
    Good video, but Mr Thorpe may have some baggage of his own.....Google the name. I don!t know quite what to think.

Craftsman
    thanks very useful

Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Fascinating, and educational. Scary too!
    Good video, but Mr Thorpe may have some baggage of his own.....Google the name. I don!t know quite what to think.
    I don't know what to think of him either
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Master
    There are so many things that I really had not thought about in this video.
    Very useful!
    Thanks for posting it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Very good video-thanks for the link. Interesting to see how things can go badly when you think your using secure channels.

thanks, I suspect that we all think we are smarter than the average bod and wouldnt get scammed, as this video points out the bad guys steal for a living we are amateurs, Ive been caught out twice in the last ten years, with hindsight both were avoidable but at the time I had no reason for suspicion, the conmem are GOOD. Thankfully the last time Paypal covered me but It was a close call.
    Keith

Banned
    Cleared funds as a reference, very clever.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by soapy View Post
    Cleared funds as a reference, very clever.
    As he mentions in the video though you would think certain keywords like 'cleared funds' or 'cash' added to check payments would be flagged up and removed by the banks.

Good video. I only ever sell to friends etc. (at a massive loss !) but he has some good insights and I suspect his examples are valid.

The only thing going through my head watching this was - Why are you sitting in your car ?

Great video. Cheers for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    The only thing going through my head watching this was - Why are you sitting in your car ?
    Maybe he has no office as such but a nice car, the interior of which gives the impression of him being a man of means? Other than that, I don't know.

Master
    Chaps

I recently bought a 31mm YG Datejust for my wife from Paul Thorpe.

He used to run a couple of shops, but got raided a couple of times and the experience persuaded him to work from home.

He rents an office near Gatwick and to be fair, he is totally legit, totally honest and upfront and there was no pressure to buy.

I bought the watch off him and the next day I had it in my local AD for the once over. Everything was fine but I had it serviced all the same.

His prices are about average, so no bargains of the century but neither will you be ripped off.

Would I recommend him - yes I would.

Regards

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    Snap, wonder if he was using his dash cam to record the video or maybe it's the only place he has a phone holder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Chaps

Why does he use his car as a studio, I would guess that driving around Gatwick is very dull and a one mile per hour activity and it just relieves the boredom.

Regards

Mick

Craftsman
    Very informative, thanks

Master
    So, what is the video car? Audi TT?

Master
    Interesting video, especially the 'cleared funds' reference on a cheque!!

Don't think it is a TT, the rear window angle doesn't appear to be correct & looks like the doors have framed glass; damn you, I'm now trying to work out the car....

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by beechcustom View Post
    This popped up on my youtube feed so thought I'd share it with you guys as it may help someone. I had no idea half of this stuff was going on. Even bank transfers aren't 100%!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivWsgx071O8
    Madness what goes on!

Master

Very interesting, but what about the "fake" scam?

That was a good watch, thanks OP.

One scam which still concerns me though, and the one I'm most wary of on eBay, is where the buyer buys your watch, pays via Paypal, and all is good, but then reports the watch to eBay as a fake.

From what I've heard, general procedure is for eBay/Paypal to refund the money to the buyer no questions asked, tell them to destroy the watch and the seller is left high and dry.

Is that a genuine concern, or is it an urban myth? It's terrifying to me, to be honest, especially if selling a Rolex, as fakes aren't exactly rare.

Craftsman
    Op. Thanks for this...that cheque cleared is a new one on me, and whilst I don't sell much, was well worth watching so thanks 👍

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post

One scam which still concerns me though, and the one I'm most wary of on eBay, is where the buyer buys your watch, pays via Paypal, and all is good, but then reports the watch to eBay as a fake.

From what I've heard, general procedure is for eBay/Paypal to refund the money to the buyer no questions asked, tell them to destroy the watch and the seller is left high and dry.

Is that a genuine concern, or is it an urban myth? It's terrifying to me, to be honest, especially if selling a Rolex, as fakes aren't exactly rare.
    I bought a Rado on eBay about a year ago, it was a fake, eBay wouldn't refund the money until I posted the item back with the label they supplied and it was confirmed by the parcel company, got my refund couple days later. At no point was I given the opportunity to keep it or asked to destroy it, the dispute was opened for item being a fake, going by my experience I reckon that might be a myth.

Master
    Interesting. Thanks for the info.

You are all very welcome. Glad you found it useful.

Interesting viewing. Thanks for posting.

Not sure though about the recording studio.....

Apprentice
    Hi, he explained in another video that using the car to record is normally the only place he can get some peace and quiet, he does film some videos in what appears to be his back garden.

Excellent info. Just imagine how much more scary it would have been as just an audio .

Craftsman
    Informative. Thanks OP for sharing.

Thanks to the OP when I saw the run time of nearly 30 min I seriously doubted I would see it to the end but once it started I was glued.

Highlights the value of this forum number of posts feedback etc thanks to Eddie and members for this, as a general rule I suppose

Mini Countryman

Journeyman
    Cheers

Thank you, very informative. I wonder if the part regarding checks only applies to the UK or is a general thing about the banking system (European).
    Also gave me a renewed confidence in selling watches through Paypal.

As others have said, thanks for posting. Very interesting and certainly some stuff in there that wouldn't have occurred to me as risky

Master
    Subscribed. Really informative.

Journeyman
    Very informative - had heard of the bank transfer issue but not come across the cleared funds on third party cheque.
    The Banks really are useless, you would think they would have come up with a fail safe method by now ...

Quote Originally Posted by MadeOfCheese View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    I bought a Rado on eBay about a year ago, it was a fake, eBay wouldn't refund the money until I posted the item back with the label they supplied and it was confirmed by the parcel company, got my refund couple days later. At no point was I given the opportunity to keep it or asked to destroy it, the dispute was opened for item being a fake, going by my experience I reckon that might be a myth.
    Not much comfort when the scammer receives your genuine watch, thank you very much, reports it as a "fake" and then posts his fake to you using the postage label supplied by eBay.

I've no idea how you could add a reference when you pay in a cheque, normally just shows as bank giro credit or something like that.

The idea banks would add what was written on the credit by the customer seems a little far fetched, they do little for nothing and it would require work and time by the cashier.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    Chaps

I recently bought a 31mm YG Datejust for my wife from Paul Thorpe.

He used to run a couple of shops, but got raided a couple of times and the experience persuaded him to work from home.

He rents an office near Gatwick and to be fair, he is totally legit, totally honest and upfront and there was no pressure to buy.

I bought the watch off him and the next day I had it in my local AD for the once over. Everything was fine but I had it serviced all the same.

His prices are about average, so no bargains of the century but neither will you be ripped off.

Would I recommend him - yes I would.

Regards

Mick
    I bought a great 20 year old GMT pepsi 16700 from Paul earlier this year, a very genuine guy, met him ( for security ) at his Gatwick office, would highly recommend him. A fair price and a really nice genuine watch.