closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice from fellow members

Advice from fellow members

Am faced with a dilemma and need to see what others think.
    Normally not a big fan of asking for advice in such matters but this is a little bit left field and would welcome others' views.
    There is an oppurtunity to trade my new Daytona for a brand new unworn Ressence 5.
    The retail on it is $35 k. Haven't seen any on secondary
    Market , so not sure what the value is once it leaves an AD
    Have always been my intrigued by it. In a way feel bad for the AD who accommodated me on Daytona butnthenpossibility of this trade intrigues me.
    What do you guys think?
    And, thanks in advance.

Master
    Seems like a sure fire way to buy a "flash in the pan novelty" that you would soon tire of, and lose considerable money on in the future.

Keep the classy Daytona In my opinion

Ressence looks pretty special. I'd love to try one. New dayto is nice but how often are you going to get a chance to try a ressence ? Don't know why you feel bad for the dealer. It's just business at the end of the day.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

I would love a Ressence! An exceptionally cool watch in my opinion.

It looks like a 5B can be had brand new on Chrono24 for £17k - https://www.chrono24.co.uk/ressence/...-id4215876.htm. Not sure I'd buy anything from a company called BS Trading though!

Steve

Banned
    You need to think?

Do it Raj!

I would do it. Always be able to get hold of another Daytona.

I had a good play with a few residence at Salan QP a couple of years ago and instantly fell in love with them despite them being noting like any watch i'd usually like.

I'd much rather one of those that a Daytona. Left field, but incredibly cool.
    Do it!

Absolutely do it! I love that watch, not often you see true innovation in this hobby of ours, go for it, it will nag at you if you don't...

Master
    I'd do it! Love those Ressence models, they're spectacularly cool.

Master
    if it's a straight trade I doubt you'd lose money on it either!

Ressence. While the Daytona is hardly two a penny, it cannot compete with the Ressence for exclusivity and that X factor. You can always get another Daytona.

If you can get a Ressence for the RRP of a Daytona that sounds like a good deal.

I wouldn't, and I'm not really a big fan of the Daytona. Every time I look at the dial on that, it reminds me of a budget cars dashboard, even down to what looks suspiciously like a dipped headlight sign, It may look better in the flesh, but a definite no from what I've seen.

I would do it.
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steppy View Post
    Seems like a sure fire way to buy a "flash in the pan novelty" that you would soon tire of, and lose considerable money on in the future.

Keep the classy Daytona In my opinion
    I tend to agree but then I am very conservative in my tastes.

I'd be tempted. In a few years the Daytona will be easy enough to find and surely you would be able to sell the Ressence for what it would cost to buy a Daytona.

Blog Entries
    I would go for it, as others have said you can pick up a Daytona again.

A straight trade, daytona for ressence? Absolute no brainer. The ressence is as cool as you like!!!

An insanely good deal of you consider the Daytona an £8k watch, which it is.

You were never *that* bothered about it anyway, cash in on the hype and grab the Ressence - it's a great deal.

Your AD will have a white dial for you soon anyway ;)

We're talking straight trade, right? Financially it likely makes sense; you could reverse your position once the Daytonas normalise out on the availability front...

As others have said, financially it makes good sense and in time the value of the Daytona will settle down once more are released by Rolex and the opportunity may not come around again, whereas the Daytona logically will become easier and cheaper to source.

Go for it Raj...

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    We're talking straight trade, right? Financially it likely makes sense; you could reverse your position once the Daytonas normalise out on the availability front...
    Can somebody please translate this?

Thanks, guys for weighing in. Sincerely appreciate the input.
    I think the overwhelming view is to go for it which is the way I was leaning towards and have decided to go for it.
    It will probably happen early next week and will keep you guys informed.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    I think it's something like you can turn around and go back into the shop later if you want. Maybe.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Has he (possibly) missed out the word 'cowgirl' after 'reverse' in his post?
    ______

​Jim.

Ha!
    I think he approached it purely from a financial perspective in terms of potential value loss though that wasn't my whole question but a part of it. It certainly is a factor when considering something unusual like this.

If Raj doesn't get on with the ressence, he can sell it at a future date, pick up another Daytona (which as pointed out elsewhere is merely an £8k, possibly shortly £9k, watch with a bit of a wait in the immediate term), and likely have a bit of change in his pocket. He likes the ressence; I think this is the cheapest way into one and lets him hedge against a change of heart.

Sorry if that was unclear :)

Journeyman
    Just me little assistance, these ressance are cool but the used value are not good and the RRP is way too high for what they are I have sold 1 unworn in my history and that was to another trader at cost and he only took it as a stock swap. Bearing in mind the promotion that was done behind these with whom I was with and amount the brand was pushed - not really great. Cool concept and design - value = no. Think we would someone swap it for a Daytona and put the values there into perspective.

Daytona resale : £13000 (RRP on this not applicable)
    Ressance resale : £50% off RRP new inc VAT (this isn't new)

Plus think of the VAT as from Switzerland and import tax. (If saying it doesn't matter then - well that's fraud)

My advice is the Ressance at 30% off RRP and then cash to you.

But hey... What do I know lol

Good to hear input from the trade.

Raj isn't really the worlds biggest flipper though...

Seems a great way to turn an £8k watch into a £17k watch to me if I didn't need to know I had to sell later.

Master
    This may seem an obvious question but if you can get a (Uk exchange) a brand new £26,600 watch for a £8,250 watch what does that say about the £26,600 watch? It tanks in value? It's one of those 'people with money' buy on a whim watches? Doesn't suck up to me in the slightest unless there's more to this story.

As someone who has just picked up the new Daytona I can say it's stunning. I know nothing about the other watch but I always think 'if it seems to good to be true . . . . . '

If Raj doesn't get on with the ressence, he can sell it at a future date, pick up another Daytona (which as pointed out elsewhere is merely an £8k, possibly shortly £9k, watch with a bit of a wait in the immediate term), and likely have a bit of change in his pocket. He likes the ressence; I think this is the cheapest way into one and lets him hedge against a change of heart.

Much better and less, well you know..................

Not so sure this is as good a deal as some think it is.

The RRP of the Ressence seems to be some sort of negotiating point rather than an actual price.

If you decide it is not for you, how easy is it going to be to sell it? If you keep it, it is oil filled, who is going to service it down the line if the company wraps up?

Here is a brand new one with a full set on sale for £10666, and I don't think it will fly away at that price actually. Seems you would struggle to get a Daytona for that price on the current secondary market so I think the other party has the best of the deal currently and in five years time I suspect he will still have the best of it.

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/ressence/t...-id4578072.htm

Mitch

When you post a wrist shot you will have won TZ-UK for that day, possibly the week! :)

I think this is the cheapest way into one and lets him hedge against a change of heart.

The Change of Heart 500 Index has experienced extreme volatility of late, with head-over-heart investors' sentiment cooling towards risk-on high-yield Rolex. The resulting flight to safety mostly benefited the value of Pateks and other investments at the high end of the in-house movement spectrum, as the heart-over-head money piled into rose gold and elaborate complications. Consequently, the price of a change-of-heart hedge has now reached a punchy Daisy, surpassing the previous El Primero high that was hit during the PAM 318 Special Edition scandal.

Logically I think you have made the right choice as others have said you can get the Daytona later down the line. Personally I would keep the Daytona as the Ressence does nothing for me but that is just my personal opinion. Look forward to the wrist shot.

Mark Williams on IPhone Taptalk

Master
    Definitely take the trade Rajen. Astonishing watches, and the Daytona (despite the hype) isn't hugely special in my opinion.

Take the Ressence and if you ever get tired of it, you know where I am. I'd love to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaunidle View Post
    Definitely take the trade Rajen. Astonishing watches, and the Daytona (despite the hype) isn't hugely special in my opinion.
    Could not agree more!

The Daytona was my grail for over 10 years and when I finally got one it lasted 4 months before it went.

Journeyman
    So after all the replies after mine and general view - as they say in dragons den 'it's not for me, I am out' and wish you the best of luck and if you do trade - enjoy!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan_Brett View Post
    So after all the replies after mine and general view - as they say in dragons den 'it's not for me, I am out' and wish you the best of luck and if you do trade - enjoy!!!
    Personally I enjoy having members who are 'in the trade', as their views are often more fact based. However, we are obsessive WIS and accordingly like to be stupid when it comes to our acquisitions.

Keep trying though

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Not so sure this is as good a deal as some think it is.

The RRP of the Ressence seems to be some sort of negotiating point rather than an actual price.

If you decide it is not for you, how easy is it going to be to sell it? If you keep it, it is oil filled, who is going to service it down the line if the company wraps up?

Here is a brand new one with a full set on sale for £10666, and I don't think it will fly away at that price actually. Seems you would struggle to get a Daytona for that price on the current secondary market so I think the other party has the best of the deal currently and in five years time I suspect he will still have the best of it.

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/ressence/t...-id4578072.htm

Mitch
    It is a bad deal unless you get around 2000 pounds and the Ressence for the Daytona. I think you are being ripped off if you are giving your Daytona and all you get in return is a novelty watch that may be impossible to sell.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Have always been my intrigued by it. In a way feel bad for the AD who accommodated me on Daytona butnthenpossibility of this trade intrigues me.
    What do you guys think?
    And, thanks in advance.
    I feel bad for the AD too. Do the right thing and keep the Daytona. You won't be sorry.

If I had the choice of a Ressence or a Daytona, I'd take the Ressence, it seems really quite special.

The Daytona, to me, is really just another watch and easy enough to replace, but maybe I'm biased as the Daytona always strikes me as a little disappointing.

That said, I'm going on web presence, I've never seen a Ressence for real!

I think you're unlikely to encounter a lot of people wearing them on the Waterloo and City line, that's for sure!

M.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Personally I enjoy having members who are 'in the trade', as their views are often more fact based. However, we are obsessive WIS and accordingly like to be stupid when it comes to our acquisitions.

Keep trying though
    I will!

Banned
    Don't do it. I agree with steppy.

Master
    There is an oppurtunity to trade my new Daytona for a brand new unworn Ressence 5.
    The retail on it is $35 k. Haven't seen any on secondary market , so not sure what the value is once it leaves an AD
    You will find the Ressence very difficult to shift, if you decide it’s no longer your cup of tea.
    Given you’ve an offer to swap the Daytona for the Type 5 at no additional cost, then that would put it at about £13K.
    In about a year’s time, I suspect you’d struggle to find any interest in it for more than £7-8K, with mostly the trade being prepared to take a punt on it for their stock, rather than a member here or buyer on eBay.
    Last edited by PJ S; 25th July 2016 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

I think you're unlikely to encounter a lot of people wearing them on the Waterloo and City line, that's for sure!

M.
    I can guarentee that Raj won't have that problem.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Lol!
    Looks like somebody gobbled up that one that Mitch had given the link to.

Lol!
    PMSL

Answers the Q then!

Banned
    Lol!
    Yes, get them while you can!!! They are going out like hot cakes! Pay the fake "full retail price" if you have to! Sell your house to raise the cash!

Lol!

Looks like I was wrong that it was not likely to fly away at that price seeing as it just did!

Mitch