closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New vintage arrival R.A.I.M.S. Bienne 1960 and a very modest SOTC

New vintage arrival R.A.I.M.S. Bienne 1960 and a very modest SOTC

Purchased this the other day, bit of an odd reason for catching my eye but the fighter jet logo is exactly as I always used to draw when I was a nipper, almost all of my drawings were littered with these for some reason

Anyway it finished BIN auction with no bidders at £75, but was then relisted so I grabbed it with a best offer.

I know nothing of this brand although have heard of Vinca the makers of the movement(think they were Russian, but is Swiss made). The movement looks lovely and clean and is actually keeping brilliant time for its age and unknown service history(gaining less than 30 seconds over 24 hours). Any information anyone may have on this watch would be really welcome as googling around I could only find a couple of mentions, one with a near identical watch and one with the same jet but a different design and sans the R.A.I.M.S. Bienne 1960.

It arrived in pretty good condition, crystal was scratched and with a crack, and the steel case had a good amount of scratches(only a couple nasty ones) but the dial had a very nice patina IMO. Only one slightly unpleasant area of patina on the dial around the 10-12 markers but to my surprise I was able to remove this with some very careful use of rodico and pegwood. A sympathetic polish to the case and a new crystal. We have this beautiful little thing and completes my trio of watches(I've owned may expensive pieces over the years which have all now been sold, but now this is my modest collection and one I'm actually really happy with).

Anyway here's the watch for anyone interested.

pic upload

image free hosting

image free hosting

image free hosting

image free hosting

image free hosting

image free hosting

It's always nice to give an oan old and unloved timepiece a new lease of life, hopefully this one will be on my wrist for many years to come.
    Last edited by Tetlee; 28th June 2017 at 11:29.

You cleaned that up nicely, it always amazes me just quite how much crud gets onto dials! How did you manage to get so much of it off without any damage?
    looks very nice!

Class - I can see what drew you to that plane outline :)

Lovely little set, nothing else needed really.

Lovely case there, and the movement looks as clean as a whistle! I like it a lot, great find.
    F.T.F.A.

Nice to see something a little different - great catch and a really good collection.

Thanks for the comments fellas.

@sestrel, very careful use of pegwood and rodico.

benwoodroffe
    the dial, with the kind of built in chapter ring, is super cool. what's its called when a dial is made like that?

lovely watch, top work fella

Craftsman
    nice collection!