closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: What speedmaster to buy as an investment?

What speedmaster to buy as an investment?

Ok, maybe not an investment, but what would be a good bet to go for if I was looking to minimise depreciation? I've wanted a speedy for ages and am now in a position to get one.

Not necessarily a new one but I want to spend less than £4k.

Thanks for any advice, Rob

Master
    Ck2998. £4100 but it'll keep value, if you can get one.

Something with a cal 321 in.

Last edited by carryondentist; 24th July 2016 at 13:11.

321 or something that's yet to shoot up.... step dial early 70s might be a good shout. Mine is rarely worn but enjoyed a lot when I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    Nice but not sure about the blue. I'll bear it in mind - it might grow on me.

Vintage Speedmaster moonphase if you can find one lol

Sent from my SM-T715 using Tapatalk

Master
    Speedmaster TinTin would be my vote. Mine is worn infrequently but it's such a great part of my collection.

Master
    Has to be something with a 321 as carryon has said.

As for the new CK its just the flavour of the month. It will be valued the same as the rest of the special editions in a year.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Slevin Kelevra View Post
    Has to be something with a 321 as carryon has said.

As for the new CK its just the flavour of the month. It will be valued the same as the rest of the special editions in a year.
    I agree about the 321 but would you bet the CK won't lose a penny in 2 years? Friendly £10 for the fundraiser?

There's only one Speedmaster to buy in any circumstances. You know the one.

Master
    I agree about the 321 but would you bet the CK won't lose a penny in 2 years? Friendly £10 for the fundraiser?
    No thanks. The CK is a cool watch for sure though.

Sorry, just re read the OP. The CK might actually be the watch for you as you wont get a 321 Speedmaster for 4000.

Too much hype surrounding this model. When Ryan posted close up images of the centre of the dial it looked ordinary and the hands looked cheap. I phoned an AD and they said pay a 20% deposit and we will guarantee delivery by August, then you come on here and people are suggesting they are impossible to find - do your own research, they are not.

I would suggest the best route is to buy a model that you really like from the likes of Iconic before any price rises come into effect and forget about limited editions and quick kills, that doesn't happen to everyone on here. The Moonwatch or even the moonphase are worth a look at and these watches will last forever and appreciate over time if looked after and serviced. How many people on here post I only paid ten shillings and six pence for mine back in the day...

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    Speedmaster TinTin would be my vote. Mine is worn infrequently but it's such a great part of my collection.
    It was your review that made me buy one, so I'll go with the Tintin as well.

Banned
    There can be only one, and it ain't the Snoopy.

Apprentice
    Never understand why some speak of watches as investments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    There can be only one, and it ain't the Snoopy.
    Might be helpful to the OP to be a little more specific. I am sure that he will struggle to guess which watch you are alluding to - Moonwatch ?

As the RRP of Snoopy was £4.6k and the OP doesn't want to pay more than £4K I am not sure why you even mentioned it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Might be helpful to the OP to be a little more specific. I am sure that he will struggle to guess which watch you are alluding to - Moonwatch ?

As the RRP of Snoopy was £4.6k and the OP doesn't want to pay more than £4K I am not sure why you even mentioned it.
    And WAS is the key word in your statement. Impossible to find one for that, and I think it won't go down to RRP ever. The ck is not in the same league, granted, but still a decent bet.
    I agree with the common sentiment tho, buy what you like, preferably used, keep it and enjoy it. I hope I'm going to like the CK when I get one, 40mm or less for my wrist only. Watches are not an investment OP. Get an old moonwatch, save yourself some money and see where it takes you.

To answer your question:
    A Tranny.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    I'd go for that one when i managa to save up and be able to buy one, not seen often on wrists in London... Very cool!

Banned
    I'm getting the Pokemon.

There is probably no such thing as an "investment watch". Buy what you enjoy wearing.

I would go vintage. Mine, a c.861 from 1969, is appreciating nicely but ain't going anywhere!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    I would go vintage. Mine, a c.861 from 1969, is appreciating nicely but ain't going anywhere!
    Yes, it is a great feeling. I got a lot of stuff, just lying around, appreciating, and it sure ain't going nowhere.

Master
    A 321 from 68 was sold yeaterday at out local auction for £5200 + Comm & Vat.

put a wtb out for a bog standard used moonwatch, I can't see it taking long for someone to sort you out & I don't think you're likely to be out of pocket over time!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jpjsavage View Post
    The real issue with vintage Speedmasters is there's a lot of **** popping up. People don't do enough research and buy what they're sold as "original". In truth, a lot of watches don't have certain original parts which are the key to their value, and therefore I gave up looking for a vintage Speedmaster. It's only the "true" original pieces which should be hitting the dizzying heights that some have gone for in recent times, but I've seen some real frankens go at auction that just aren't worth it.

It's a risky scenario IMO and you must, must, must spend a lot of time researching. Books such as Moonwatch Only and the various blogs around the web are great sources.
    Last edited by W44NNE; 24th July 2016 at 11:45.

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    The real issue with vintage Speedmasters is there's a lot of **** popping up. People don't do enough research and buy what they're sold as "original". In truth, a lot of watches don't have certain original parts which are the key to their value, and therefore I gave up looking for a vintage Speedmaster. It's only the "true" original pieces which should be hitting the dizzying heights that some have gone for in recent times, but I've seen some real frankens go at auction that just aren't worth it.

It's a risky scenario IMO and you must, must, must spend a lot of time researching. Books such as Moonwatch Only and the various blogs around the web are great sources.
    I got a lot of help from JackG from this parish when I bought mine. As you say, research is vital if you are to find a good one.

Having got mine, it went to STS for a thorough inspection and service. No restoration though and I loved the photographic record they provided of their work. Here are a couple of my favourites of the movement following their magic:

Last edited by jpjsavage; 24th July 2016 at 12:12.

Master
    Blog Entries

Investment Speedmasters

Hi All,

there are just to many variables. Modern, neo-modern or vintage? 321 or 861 movement, straight lug or asymmetric, tritium or luminous (colours), stepped dial or flat, applied logo or printed, special editions and transitional modes, bezel DON or DNN, dial colours and case backs to boot!

Best advice I can give you is do your own home work and check out, www.Speedmaster101.com then you can make your own choices depending on your finances.

Cheers,
    M
    Last edited by milwatch126; 24th July 2016 at 13:06.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    A 321 from 68 was sold yeaterday at out local auction for £5200 + Comm & Vat.
    Think a 68 would have an 861 ie: Transitional, 321 dial & 'new' 861 movement. Pricey.

A 69 would be my choice for the OP, earlier ones like Ed Whites & 321's are fetching matt dial sub money.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jfo2010 View Post
    Never understand why some speak of watches as investments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    if you buy right, some are. Like wine, if you know what you're looking for. Plus, you can use a watch, unlike wine, and still see a return.

Thanks for all the advice folks. Lots to think about.

Sub 4k I think a decent 145.022 might be doable.

I would go to your Omega AD and put your name down for the limited edition Speedmaster they will release at Bazel 2017.
    Then hope it's a small run of something (doesn't matter what but the fewer pieces the better)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I would go to your Omega AD and put your name down for the limited edition Speedmaster they will release at Bazel 2017.
    Then hope it's a small run of something (doesn't matter what but the fewer pieces the better)
    I've got my name down for the 50th anniversary Speedmaster with my Omega AD already!

Journeyman
    You have to know your stuff if you are going vintage.
    For 4k you would not do badly with the Mickey but finding one is the issue. Yes plenty on eBay but getting on from an Ad /ob is difficult. Anyone telling you otherwise it's going to waste your time and send you on a wild goose chase.

My advice is buy any model you really like for 4k.wear it and enjoy it for many years. You won't lose out as with time prices generally only go up.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by j111dja View Post
    Same here, also pretty rare in the wild and not many available

Craftsman
    None in my opinion. Speedy is sought after and always sell but you'll always loose some cash.

The fancy-pants new packaging etc may depress demand/pricing for less recent versions, cancelling out any uplift from the rise in rrp.....

Quote Originally Posted by bongo View Post
    Think a 68 would have an 861 ie: Transitional, 321 dial & 'new' 861 movement. Pricey.

A 69 would be my choice for the OP, earlier ones like Ed Whites & 321's are fetching matt dial sub money.
    First half of 1968 was 321 and second half was 'transitional' is my understanding.

Alaska Project**.

Probably.

**Nothing in this post should be regarded as an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any watch, nor does it constitute any form of personal recommendation.