closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Opinions on this GMT please..

Journeyman

Opinions on this GMT please..

This GMT caught my eye at an AD today, its a 2001 with a service last month at Rolex. Box and papers, but with no extra links

Up at 4950, but they'll take 4800.. I am no expert but have wanted one for sometime; is this worth the money, or is it a little toppy? The condition appeared great to me, but I understand that when they've been through the rsc they can over polish etc..

I kick myself as I messed about and lost a lovely un refurbished one around 12 months ago for considerably less.. Although i appreciate prices have gone up since then

Is this a good buy or would I get a better example for the money, opinions appreciated

Craftsman
    Is it just the photo angle or is the shape of the right hand lug in the second photo a bit off? Looks thinner than the left hand side?

Personally is pass on that one. Lugs look a bit too thin, especially for that kind of money.

Try and be patient, and one will conquer up in better nick for less than that

I don't think that's the original bezel insert; my 1999 coke was quite pink when I got it about 3 years ago. I've a new bezel on it now and it looks pretty much the same as this one.

I thinks it's a bit high price wise but if you're keeping it long term that shouldn't be an issue.

My AD has something similar currently, at even more money!

Doesn't seem to have the nice course grain to the case lapping that a freshly Rolex refinished one should have.

Master
    You should be able to pick up a nice example, full set for about £5k so I would pass on this one. Stick a wtb up, one will turn up quickly enough

Craftsman
    Standard fare, nothing incredible I'd say. Agree that it is potentially not the original bezel, may or may not be of concern to you of course.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    Personally is pass on that one. Lugs look a bit too thin, especially for that kind of money.

Try and be patient, and one will conquer up in better nick for less than that
    I agree, for about 4700-4800£ you can find a more recent, unpolished one for sure i think

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maxest View Post
    This GMT caught my eye at an AD today, its a 2001 with a service last month at Rolex. Box and papers, but with no extra links

Up at 4950, but they'll take 4800.. I am no expert but have wanted one for sometime; is this worth the money, or is it a little toppy? The condition appeared great to me, but I understand that when they've been through the rsc they can over polish etc..

I kick myself as I messed about and lost a lovely un refurbished one around 12 months ago for considerably less.. Although i appreciate prices have gone up since then

Is this a good buy or would I get a better example for the money, opinions appreciated

I'd pass on that one mate.

Banned
    Bad polish, saggy bracelet, what is there not to like? Do they charge extra for the grease it comes with? What if you want Rolex to de-grease it, will they insist on doing a full service?

Journeyman
    Thanks everyone for your opinion, i'm obviously going to pass on this one now..

I did a WTB a year or so ago, so i've upped my original post; if anyone knows of a nice one please get in touch

Opinions on this GMT please..

Thanks everyone for your opinion, i'm obviously going to pass on this one now..

I did a WTB a year or so ago, so i've upped my original post; if anyone knows of a nice one please get in touch
    You may have more luck with your wtb if you weren't set on having the full set.

I know it's the done thing but mine didn't come with all the extras and it really doesn't bother me!

And don't worry about the bezel insert, you can swap to the one you want for around £40.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You may have more luck with your wtb if you weren't set on having the full set.

I know it's the done thing but mine didn't come with all the extras and it really doesn't bother me!

And don't worry about the bezel insert, you can swap to the one you want for around £40.
    Thanks Dave, good points and i've edited my original WTB

Looks like it's had a polish by an angle grinder.

Craftsman
    I agree, polish on it does not look great.

Journeyman
    I don't think my pictures help, it did look better in the flesh..

Still looking for one; spoke to a couple of well regarded dealers one of which is on here, just waiting to here back

Master
    Have you put a wtb up? That's usually your best bet. Go to a dealer and you'll pay a dealer premium. Nothing bad about that if the right watch is there but my experience of wtb is that it usually yields results for more common watches

Master

16700 ?

Banks Lyon in Lancaster (not too far) have a nice tritium 16700, punched papers and original box, original dial and hands excellent, plus a naturally faded pepsi insert that has gone a pleasant pink on the bottom half. Good strong case which has been refinished, as has the service oyster bracelet and movement has been serviced - couldn't quite get them to confirm who they use, but suspect ok. Up at £5250 which is a bit strong, but presume a deal could be done to some extent and the insert could easily offset a surprising percentage of the price, if you fancied replacing with a new one. Just passing today and popped in for a look.

Master
    The last 3 16700s that were on sc were on for £3,600 B&Ps and serviced twice, £3,400 and £3,200
    Last edited by Schofie; 2nd August 2016 at 14:11. Reason: Typo

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Schofie View Post
    Have you put a wtb up? That's usually your best bet. Go to a dealer and you'll pay a dealer premium. Nothing bad about that if the right watch is there but my experience of wtb is that it usually yields results for more common watches
    Yes I have a WTB up, had nothing offered as of yet

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...olex-GMT-16710
    Last edited by maxest; 2nd August 2016 at 14:11.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor View Post
    Banks Lyon in Lancaster (not too far) have a nice tritium 16700, punched papers and original box, original dial and hands excellent, plus a naturally faded pepsi insert that has gone a pleasant pink on the bottom half. Good strong case which has been refinished, as has the service oyster bracelet and movement has been serviced - couldn't quite get them to confirm who they use, but suspect ok. Up at £5250 which is a bit strong, but presume a deal could be done to some extent and the insert could easily offset a surprising percentage of the price, if you fancied replacing with a new one. Just passing today and popped in for a look.
    Thanks for that, I have been in there a couple of times before; I wasn't too keen on there offerings but next time i'm passing i'll stop in

Apprentice
    Nothing worse than feeling like a particular watch was the one that got away!

As an aside, I'm a huge fan of the Coke bezel GMT too. Burlington arcade near Piccadilly in London has some excellent examples but their prices are often an eyebrow raiser.

Master
    Thanks for that, I have been in there a couple of times before; I wasn't too keen on there offerings but next time i'm passing i'll stop in
    Got quite a few others at the moment now that they are concentrating on the ahem.... pre-owned Rolex market. I know it's a bit pricy as advertised but I have always negotiated a fair chunk off and its a good one (I have seen plenty that aren't), all original and having looked at my records think the bracelet is correct as well, T serial watch and Z serial bracelet. At another time I would have had a go at it myself, but don't buy watches any more, having reached my realistic collection satisfaction a few years ago and to have funds to spend on other interests.
    Last edited by Bluetinfloor; 2nd August 2016 at 18:55.