closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Many Will Consider It A Crime...

Banned

Many Will Consider It A Crime...

But my mind is made up - well, not quite...

I’m pretty much a one watch man these days, happy to wear my Sky-Dweller for most occasions, only swapping to the Breitling Emergency for those tough days weeding the patio (!), but (there’s always a but), the wear does show on a white gold watch and a leather strap isn’t perfect for all occasions.

So, I want something else and have almost bought back my ever favourite watch - the Yacht-Master II - several times, but it sticks in my head that I did let it go and going back is not something I tend to do.

So, I’m going to break out the old ‘grail’ term for a minute. Mine has always been a Rolex 5517 Milsub, but the term grail is probably incorrect, as I do not covet one, as (i) it is far too expensive for one watch and (ii) it will end up in the safe in fear of damage.

So, taking account of the fact I am a Rolex man through and through, love the revised case shape, lust after sword hands and a 60 minute bezel, what is available to satisfy these parameters?
    For me, the only option is a modded watch

Yes, they are twice the price of a production model, the warranty is void and no one will ever buy it, but life is too short.

I have appointments next week to view the contenders. The SC02 is the surprising front runner, as I fancy the rubber bezel, but the Bamford offers a more representative dial of the 5517, it has a bracelet option and the letter on the dial can be one of your choice - including the representative ’T’. My issue is all review photo’s show a poor mismatch between markers and hands, so I shall decide only once both have been on my wrist. Either way, I’ll be coming away with one or the other...

The Swimmer Canoeist

The Bamford Heritage MilSub

Not a crime as you're right, life is short so why not!

Master
    From your post your 100% going into it with eyes wide open and yes life can be way too short.

When you know what you want and why you want it then go for it! Enjoy :-)

Master
    Go for it Steve. You like it and it suits your style IMO as you've had many divers. It's not exactly one of those stupid all-black types with PVD that chips off etc; at least this looks unique but in a stylish manner.

The Bamford was one of the articles printed on Hodinkee last week

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/th...ix-figure-bill

I like it and it's not often I say that about Bamford!

Hmm, I like features from both; the Matt dial of the Bamford but the matt rubber of the SC.

As you say, if the hands match the plots on that Bamford...

I do wonder if you'd be better off getting a Steinhart for a few months just to see if you wear it though. Hardly the same I know, but...

Blog Entries
    Where it says 'Officially Certified' on the watch... is it referring to you mate? :)

But seriously... life is indeed too short. Do what you like and enjoy the hobby.

Nutjob. :)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by christech81 View Post
    The Bamford was one of the articles printed on Hodinkee last week
    That is the article which threw me in respect of the lume mismatch.

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    I do wonder if you'd be better off getting a Steinhart for a few months just to see if you wear it though. Hardly the same I know, but...
    Lewis!

No need, I’ve had (and still have some put away for a rainy day) a few SubC variants and can happily wear on bracelet or Nato, so no need for a ‘practice run’, as the only element Steinhart could offer is sword hands, but everything else about them I just can’t stand.

Quote Originally Posted by gregory View Post
    Where it says 'Officially Certified' on the watch... is it referring to you mate? :)

But seriously... life is indeed too short. Do what you like and enjoy the hobby.

Nutjob. :)

Hmmmm... B for burnsey or SC for sales corner. Tough choice . My money's on the bumfluff.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Go for it, buddy

For a little encouragement

Master
    Both look pretty good I will be really interested to hear what you think of them after after seeing them in the flesh.

If the bamford hands matched the lume on the plots it would be no contest though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Go for it, buddy

For a little encouragement
    You never cease to amaze

Bamford for me out of the two, like you say though the dial and hands need to match better than that photo of yours.
    Raj, hows that aspect on your example? Looks pretty good in your photo?

Quote Originally Posted by W44NNE View Post
    You never cease to amaze
    Just to clarify this is as much a Franken as the Bamford.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Just to clarify this is as much a Franken as the Bamford.
    Send it to me, immediately

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    Hmm, I like features from both; the Matt dial of the Bamford but the matt rubber of the SC.

As you say, if the hands match the plots on that Bamford...

I was thinking exactly the same about Steinhart. I'm wearing my OVM As in type this, and imho anyone who spends more than £300 on a similar lookalike wants their bumps feeling.

I would say Bamford. Can you spec standard steel rather than their ti coating?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post

I’m pretty much a one watch man these days, happy to wear my Sky-Dweller for most occasions, only swapping to the Breitling Emergency for those tough days weeding the patio (!), but (there’s always a but), the wear does show on a white gold watch and a leather strap isn’t perfect for all occasions.

So, I want something else and have almost bought back my ever favourite watch - the Yacht-Master II - several times, but it sticks in my head that I did let it go and going back is not something I tend to do.

So, I’m going to break out the old ‘grail’ term for a minute. Mine has always been a Rolex 5517 Milsub, but the term grail is probably incorrect, as I do not covet one, as (i) it is far too expensive for one watch and (ii) it will end up in the safe in fear of damage.

So, taking account of the fact I am a Rolex man through and through, love the revised case shape, lust after sword hands and a 60 minute bezel, what is available to satisfy these parameters?

Yes, they are twice the price of a production model, the warranty is void and no one will ever buy it, but life is too short.

I have appointments next week to view the contenders. The SC02 is the surprising front runner, as I fancy the rubber bezel, but the Bamford offers a more representative dial of the 5517, it has a bracelet option and the letter on the dial can be one of your choice - including the representative ’T’. My issue is all review photo’s show a poor mismatch between markers and hands, so I shall decide only once both have been on my wrist. Either way, I’ll be coming away with one or the other...

The Swimmer Canoeist

I think they are the best looking Rolex i've ever seen.

We will form an angry mob of pitchfork-wielding peasants and we will march to this man's house and... WE.WILL.CONFISCATE.HIS.STRAPS!

May he perish in a slow, frustrating and stressful way for he will never be able to wear his coveted watches ever again!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonM View Post
    Bamford for me out of the two, like you say though the dial and hands need to match better than that photo of yours.
    Raj, hows that aspect on your example? Looks pretty good in your photo?
    You are right.
    Pretty well matched, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedie View Post
    I think they are the best looking Rolex i've ever seen.
    The subunit of the Forum Police in charge of checking uneccessary quoting, recommends a six hour detention for you.

Master
    I really like the Bamford heritage but 12.5k is alot. Are the prices negotiable or would you be able to source one second hand?

I like the Bamford , very nice .

Master
    Te SC for me, the bezel and date swing it.

Master
    ^^^ I'm with alphajet.

Sword hands are so much better than Mercedes type, like them both, the sc edges it because of the mismatch hands and plots on the Bamford.

It makes me wonder why Rolex don't do a re-issue. Imagine the money they'd make, especially if they limited the numbers.

Steve, you are incorrigible - no more one week then.......
    For what it's worth, the Bamford would be my choice, with matching plots, hands and pip.

Folk will be knocking one out over this thread for weeks,

Whatever you choose burnsey enjoy it (that's from the heart)

Blog Entries
    Your money,your taste ,your life just go for it and given the s---t going down enjoy as to the watches neither for me but if you dangled my bits in a vice the Bamford

If you're looking for input to influence your decision, I'd point out you've sold more than 12 watches in the last 12 months, so you seem like you're pretty high on the flipper scale, making it quite likely you'll end up taking a bath on this given the big gap between purchase price and resale.

If you've already made your mind up, enjoy it. They both look nice enough.

The Bamford looks good but because it's not a genuine Rolex dial, bezel insert or hands - my cash would go the way of a nice red sub or 1665.

Craftsman
    I just read the Hodonkee article on the Bamford earlier this afternoon, and I have to say I like it.

Craftsman
    I do like the Bamford 're-models'. Just not sure I'd be comfortable having it on the wrist. But yes, much of their output I find more aesthetically pleasing than Rolex standard issue.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    I prefer the sc one. Bamfords shiny bezel plus aged hands doesn't work for me.
    Is it a rubber bezel on the sc or a matte finished one?

I'm going to be a dissenting voice here - spending $20k for a faux version of the thing you desire ( even though it may be out of reach) does not seem like a recipe for a happy ending.

There are a lot of watches sub $20k surely there must be something you have not already owned that can fill this role for you and you not take a complete bath if you don't bond. Let's face it not bonding would not be a new experience for you .

Anyway just 2c - regards

A friend had his Sea Dweller Deepsea modified by Bamford. DLC case and customised dial (name of my friend's company) with red text. He liked it but the shade of red for the text was too dark. So he sent it back and they corrected it. Seemed good service. I've seen the watch and it certainly stands apart from the usual Sub/SD crowd. No idea what it cost but if going down that route, perhaps something custom as a genuine one-off, rather than an homage?

If you must as personally, I can't see the difference with bamfort or whatever..
    Fas est ab hoste doceri

If you can get matching hands and plots on the Bamford then I think that's where my money would go. The bracelet option would also swing it that way for me. Both are lovely. Brave but lovely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman

The Swimmer Canoeist

I think it looks incredible, and if you can afford it and handle the extra mod cost then you should gonfor it mate, if you really love it! I'd tend to be more on the "keeping things original" but it's only my taste... It really looks awesome though so to me it's worth it.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by VDG View Post

If you must as personally, I can't see the difference with bamfort or whatever..

Hahaha actually except the brand and the logo it looks exactly the same... Which makes the bamfort look even more expensive! but it's not a rolex...

Grand Master
    I wouldnt pay the prices that the 'Modding' firm charge but if you had a mate who knew people in the trade he might be able to do the job a lot cheaper!!!!!!!
    RIAC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodder View Post
    I really like the Bamford heritage but 12.5k is alot. Are the prices negotiable or would you be able to source one second hand?
    We shall see when I'm sat in front of them. I'm not shy of asking for a discount. A used watch doesn't interest me.

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    It makes me wonder why Rolex don't do a re-issue. Imagine the money they'd make, especially if they limited the numbers.
    Completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Steve, you are incorrigible
    You know me Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by seikokiller View Post
    If you're looking for input to influence your decision, I'd point out you've sold more than 12 watches in the last 12 months, so you seem like you're pretty high on the flipper scale, making it quite likely you'll end up taking a bath on this given the big gap between purchase price and resale.
    Understood and a fair point, but the sales reflected my desire to rid myself of a collection and since the turn of the year, I've been happy with one main watch and a back up.

I stopped worrying about losing money on goods purchased a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
    The Bamford looks good but because it's not a genuine Rolex dial, bezel insert or hands - my cash would go the way of a nice red sub or 1665.
    The usability of a vintage is my reason for not aspiring to the 5517. I've done the whole vintage Rolex thing...

Quote Originally Posted by verv View Post
    Is it a rubber bezel on the sc or a matte finished one?
    It’s rubber C and I like it. Let’s see what it is like in the flesh...

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I wouldnt pay the prices that the 'Modding' firm charge but if you had a mate who knew people in the trade he might be able to do the job a lot cheaper!!!!!!!
    Good shout! However, I do really fancy using a recognised firm, which makes Bamford the safer choice.

I sent my much fawned after 5513 away for the installation of aftermarket sword hands a few years ago. They didn't fit in the end, but this time I'm after a 'pro-mod' so to speak.

As for all comments bringing Steinhart into the discussion, you've missed the point entirely.
    Last edited by burnsey66; 24th July 2016 at 08:14. Reason: Missed a quote

Ah yes, the 5513. A thing of beauty that was!

I'd no idea you'd tried to have it modded Steve; that really would have been a crime!

Personally, I think the SC looks better than the Bamford but probably only because of the mismatched lume.

I've no doubt you'll make the right decision for you regardless of what anyone else thinks. It'll be interesting to see which one you chose and your reasons behind the choice.

Craftsman
    I would got for it,that milsub looks superb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 100thmonkey View Post
    I have to agree with this, the premium Bamford charge for a few minor modifications
    over a standard issue would be hard for me to swallow. I'm sure you could get the same result for a few £1000 of parts on top of a 116610 doner watch.

Does anyone know where you stand with regards to servicing a Bamford? No doubt they will insist they are the only option and charge a nice little premium over a standard service.

Off-topic I know but are there any copyright issues with Bamford or do they have an agreement with Rolex? I would've thought a re-printed/modded dial with 'Rolex' still on there would cause raised eyebrows as its not a dial direct from Rolex.

It would have to be the Bamford for me, it looks superb.

Understood and a fair point, but the sales reflected my desire to rid myself of a collection and since the turn of the year, I've been happy with one main watch and a back up.

I stopped worrying about losing money on goods purchased a long time ago.
    That's always been my attitude. I buy what I like, not what I think will be the best investment. I also buy with the intention to keep, so I usually buy new.

In that case, I say go for the SFI SC. I don't like the antiqued lume on the Bamford, nor the "military grade titanium" coating on the case. The SF links for the SFI seem a bit manufactured and walty, but it's not as though that's evident on the watch itself, just on their website.

Master
    I thought this would be an easy one to go with Bamford as I like what they have done on the heritage version with the re profiled case and I think there work is pretty well done (a different point to whether you think what they have done is pleasing design wise).
    However the SC looks pretty well executed.
    So only things for me that really seperate them are;
    Bamford
    - price
    - non matching lume

SC
    - 'custom ..... rubber bezel' whatever that is

If Bamofrd can fix the lume point then that is the one I would go for from the two options.

A submariner without a cyclops looks odd to me - should be a sea dweller. The Bamford for me if the lumes all match up ok enough.