closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Hydroconquest questions...

Master

Hydroconquest questions...

Well, a couple really.

I'm just embarking on a hunt for one and see that there is a mk1 and mk11 version. Has anyone owned both, and if so is it worth narrowing my search to one or the other? Also is the lume decent on one or the other or both?

Many thanks :0)

As far as I know the lume is poor on them all (it was on mine)

I had what I thought was the earlier version (PCLS non tapering bracelet etc) but now I am unsure whether it was or wasnt?

Quote Originally Posted by Montybaber View Post
    As far as I know the lume is poor on them all (it was on mine)

I had what I thought was the earlier version (PCLS non tapering bracelet etc) but now I am unsure whether it was or wasnt?
    The earlier version does indeed have those things (and weak lume), but it just has the 6,9 and 12 on the dial whereas the newer version has all the numbers (apart from the 3 of course where the date window is).

Not sure if there's a difference in bracelets between the two versions.

The only criticisms I have of my (earlier) Hydroconquest are the rattle from the clasp and the fiddly crown design which I think makes it unnecessarily difficult to wind and set. Otherwise I think it's a good watch and decent value for money in auto form.

I have the newer version. The crown is still awkward and the lume is poor. The bracelet looks the same as the older version but is all brushed rather than the silly shiny centre links. All in all a decent watch for the price.

I've had a couple of the later autos, nice looking watch but flawed in my opinion, crown is not easy to use, lume is very poor, lack of a half link to get proper fit on bracelet, clasp is a bit mickey, but for the right price second hand ok, I took a right bath when I moved them on.

Apparently Conquest half links fit the mark 1 at least.

I believe the mk2 has a better spec movement, but the decider will probably which you like the look of most.

For me, the earlier model still looks better with few digits on the dial.

I love mine.

M

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Find it strange that Longine should be applying poor lume onto their watches. Swatch must have supplies by the bucketful.
    Is it a mega pricey material?
    Crowns and Lume I think are better on the Certina DS but each to their own.

It is the MK1 every time for me, it has a much nicer look IMO with just the 6,9&12 numbers.
    I have always found the lume adequate and lasts the night.
    The automatics are very good value for money both new and secondhand.

Master
    I've owned both and preferred the mk2. The bracelet tapers, and is fully brushed... slightly better movement too.
    Only thing better on the mk1 (in my own opinion) was the applied indices/plots.

Master
    I don't feel that the HydroConquest is up to the quality of other Longines watches and as such is "entry level" quality. I found it a big disappointment, particularly as they are not exactly inexpensive. I would put it at around Steinhart quality but at twice the price, albeit with a socially-acceptable brand and logo. A case of paying your money and taking your choice. Probably a good pre-owned purchase because they don't seem to hold their value.

I wasn't very fond of the Mk 1 because it was too reminiscent of an Orient Mako I owned, and I don't like the polished centre links. However, on looking at Longines.com it would appear that the Mk 2 version, with arabic 1-12 numerals and a satin bracelet, is no longer in the range and Jura watches don't seem to stock it, which is a shame because for me it was the better dial, especially in blue. There may be some out on the High Street. Not sure if the Mk 1 now has the ETA2892 movement or whether it is back with the 2824.

I would agree with the other comments regarding the lume and the awkward crown.
    Last edited by UKMike; 23rd July 2016 at 19:11.

Master
    I don't feel that the HydroConquest is up to the quality of other Longines watches and as such is "entry level luxury" quality. I found it a big disappointment, particularly as they are not exactly inexpensive. I would put it at around Steinhart quality but at twice the price, albeit with a socially-acceptable brand and logo. A case of paying your money and taking your choice. Probably a good pre-owned purchase because they don't seem to hold their value.

I wasn't very fond of the Mk 1 because it was too reminiscent of an Orient Mako I owned, and I don't like the polished centre links. However, on looking at Longines.com it would appear that the Mk 2 version, with arabic 1-12 numerals and a satin bracelet, is no longer in the range and Jura watches don't seem to stock it, which is a shame because for me it was the better dial, expecially in blue.

I would agree with the other comments regarding the lume and the awkward crown.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by rdwiow View Post
    It is the MK1 every time for me, it has a much nicer look IMO with just the 6,9&12 numbers.
    I have always found the lume adequate and lasts the night.
    The automatics are very good value for money both new and secondhand.
    I agree, i'm not fan of the new bezel as well.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Apparently Conquest half links fit the mark 1 at least.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    That's correct, I bought one from Cousins for my Hydroconquest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Has anyone managed to obtain a half link for a mk2 39mm?

Cheers