closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: I stumbled across this, is it really that easy?

I stumbled across this, is it really that easy?

That's about the size of it. I think it's as easy as knowing where the controls are and following the procedure as long as nothing goes wrong!

Having said that, to me that was an odd talk down from the professional. How's she expected to know what he's talking about or where the controls he's referring to actually are to make the adjustments he's calling for?

Master
    One of our customers is a commercial pilot. He was telling us that the Airbus planes are VERY into electronics and can pretty much fly them selves. He's now flying Boeings and apparently they need more skill and you actually have to know what your doing.

Next time I'm in an Airbus I'll demand that they let me land the plane. I might not be a flying student as this girl is but I've had my fair share of flight simulation video games.

Just for the record I am a fully paid up member of the flight simulation idiots club. You know, the sort they despise on pilots' forums :), and as such am in no position to comment with any authority whatsoever :)

(Pilots can be a very strange closed-ranks bunch sometimes, don't seem to realise their behind is in the air thanks to engineers who do know one or two things about their own subject!)

Blog Entries
    That was interesting but experienced and trained pilots come into their own when things go wrong in the cockpit!

if they ask for volunteers to land the plane - you're going to crash anyway might as well be the first to go..... or you become a hero

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by KavKav View Post
    That was interesting but experienced and trained pilots come into their own when things go wrong in the cockpit!
    Ala the Hudson River pilot. Apparently that was partly down to his vast experience that started in the airforce. Not as many airforce pilots go commercial anymore according to the programme I watched about that landing

I would have thought it was easy to know the opposite of experienced is inexperienced not unexperienced, but apparently not.

Journeyman
    Utter nonsense, gave up after 5 minutes. 'On the pedestal, put thrust levers to climb'? There's no way a layperson would twig that, and how does she know what controls the heading bug?

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    One of our customers is a commercial pilot. He was telling us that the Airbus planes are VERY into electronics and can pretty much fly them selves. He's now flying Boeings and apparently they need more skill and you actually have to know what your doing.
    Heard the same from one of my long time friends who's a commercial pilot, he's not an Airbus fan either.

A good friend now flies the A380. Apparently nice and spacious compared to a 747-400 flight deck but you feel less connected with the aeroplane.he also has continuous access to the technical help desk when he's in the air,
    nice to know!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    A good friend now flies the A380. Apparently nice and spacious compared to a 747-400 flight deck but you feel less connected with the aeroplane.he also has continuous access to the technical help desk when he's in the air,
    nice to know!
    "Have you tried switching it off and switching it back on again?"

Craftsman
    Try landing a glider, now that takes a bit of skill. Remember you get 1 shot at the landing, no pulling up and doing a go around!

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    .he also has continuous access to the technical help desk when he's in the air,
    nice to know!
    I have travelled on jump seats more times than I can remember. It does look easy but having been in the pointy end many times even I don't think I could hop in and land etc.

Regarding the above, Airbus has a system called airman. It continuously monitors aircraft systems while in flight and reports back if their are any faults etc. Sometimes engineering know that there is an issue at the same time as the crew flying or even before they do.
    We can message the aircraft directly with a system called Acars, it's like text messaging. Some aircraft have the messages come up on a screen, others have the messages come out on a small printer in the cockpit. Messages can be technical , operational etc. Usually the results of big sporting events are sent to the aircraft to let the passengers know.

I have had a go in a flight simulator for a well known airline we do work for, I found it pretty nerve racking I can tell you, the controls were much more sensitive than I expected, I had a lot of help with the technicalities of the landing but I did manage to land the thing.
    The sim centre runs nearly 24/7 I believe each pilot has to under go training sessions every six months, it's a busy place, I'm used to it now, but it made you very jumpy working near the sims, especially when carrying out there simulated decompression, or falling nose first out of the sky.
    I've been flown round in all manor of military helicopters, never bothered me much back then, ten minutes after I was sat in a chinook the noise and motion of the rotors would have me snoozing, some 25yrs later I'm not so relaxed in the air, especially at take off and landing time.
    Last edited by geran; 21st July 2016 at 03:31.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
    Ala the Hudson River pilot. Apparently that was partly down to his vast experience that started in the airforce. Not as many airforce pilots go commercial anymore according to the programme I watched about that landing
    The audio to that landing is one of the most impressive things I've ever heard.

Here it is (with a real-time simulation of what happened in the two minutes from take-off to splashdown). The pilot's voice barely changes despite the massive stress he's undergoing.

Phew.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    The audio to that landing is one of the most impressive things I've ever heard.

Here it is (with a real-time simulation of what happened in the two minutes from take-off to splashdown). The pilot's voice barely changes despite the massive stress he's undergoing.

Phew.
    Just watched the link, cool as you like.