closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Allardyce for England?

Hybrid View

Allardyce for England?

Really? I thought after Woy the FA were looking at more dynamic (foreign) coaches/managers? Seems like (another) step backwards in recruiting a perennial relegation scrapping manager.

Are we destined to be forever an under performing team?

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post
    Really? I thought after Woy the FA were looking at more dynamic (foreign) coaches/managers? Seems like (another) step backwards in recruiting a perennial relegation scrapping manager.

All England's problems begin and end with the incompetent FA.

Master
    Agreed, feels like not much of a change from Roy, really. We need some new ideas and an injection of dynamism.

Can you imagine a limited edition Hublot Sam Alladyce? But I suppose we did have the Woy version. Wonder how that sold?

Quote Originally Posted by tiny73 View Post

Or constantly over rated by the press? They expect a win (or at least a Semi Final appearance) at every competition!

I have always liked Big Sam, but the England job?

Too many old duffers at The FA making poor decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post
    Or constantly over rated by the press? They expect a win (or at least a Semi Final appearance) at every competition!

Good point on the overrating by the press but I feel with some of the talent we have we should be able to win a group stage with relative ease and maybe progress. Hell, at least playing with some semblance of talent and passion would be a start.

Seems a perfect fit for the England job, I'm sure he'll perform just as well as all the other England managers over the past 20 years.

And who wouldn't want a Hublot Big Sam Big Bang.

Blog Entries
    Happy enough with him... He'll do alright... He always does...

At least he has some tactical nouse...

He should of been offered the job before McLaren, Capello and Woy.
    Criminally overlooked .

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    Happy enough with him... He'll do alright... He always does...

At least he has some tactical nouse...
    I hated having him at Nerwcastle, he was atrocious, but I do think had he stayed we'd have stayed up that year.

He's been in for it twice before and both times I didn't think he was right for it......but I think he is at this juncture.

We lack stucture, formation, organisation, discipline, commitment and team ethic. Sam will provide all of those things. His long-ball days were years ago. Sunderland didn't play crap football under him last year, they were pretty decent. What they did have was a squad of players who would run through walls for each other. They had organisation. They had discipline and commitment. They had a formation they played to and every player knew what their job was. They were hard to beat yet scored the goals they needed to survive.

England needs that now. Internationally we are Sunderland now.

He still doesn't have the job though. I bet he'll go in and say "not doing that, not having this, I do that this way" etc. If the FA still go for him then we'll see a change. If they thank him for his time and show him the door then we'll get what we've always got from the FA.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewcregan View Post

I don't follow the trashy papers so I can't fully comment on this but ultimately the press just want to sell papers. They love to build up the team and then they can knock it down again.

In terms of the average England fan thinking we're going to just turn up and get to a semi final or win a trophy, it's a complete myth. I've never met an England football fan with that kind of attitude.

Yes, when we had better teams / managers we probably overestimated our chances but isn't that true of fans of any team?

This time around there were virtually no England flags on cars or in windows. Most fans knew we had practically no chance of winning the tournament or even getting close.

But the team still massively underperformed against what it should be capable of. Look at the club level that even this average England team play at versus, for example, the majority of the Welsh players or the Iceland players. That's not English arrogance talking, it's just stating a fact. We have a much bigger population and more players to pick from the top level. But then based on how these players performed in the Euros none of them would get in the Welsh squad.

Something isn't right and it hasn't been for years. England have a losing mentality when they get to tournaments and this goes back many years. The players just can't cope with the pressure and our record in penalty shoot outs shows this, 1 win in 8 (compare that to Germany's 100% record).

Journeyman
    Don't think a new manager can just bring the results, more grassroots talents needs to be nurtured.

Question

Don't laugh, Ryan Giggs anyone??

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth-W View Post
    Don't laugh, Ryan Giggs anyone??
    Not daft at all.

Based on limited knowledge of who's 'out there' I'd go for a Shearer/Gary Neville duet. Having two splits the criticism (OK, makes blame harder to attribute too!) covers both attack and defence with players who have played fairly recently and understand the modern game and it's two people who (IMO) actually understand football.

Why not?

Ok so big Sam as manager? Maybe he does provide what we need. But I feel the FA if they are going to appoint him need to look at appointing his successor too and having a young manager there working with big Sam and gaining the experience to take over. This worked well for Germany. My big worry for Sam is the same as I had for Roy and have for the other name mentioned (Eddie Howe) is the lack of experience at a truly big club. Ok Sam had it at Newcastle but they are not a truly huge club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has Allardyce ever been given funds allowing him to buy without limits or has he always been underfunded?
    Genuine question as I can't recall limitless funds at Newcastle or West Ham . At Bolton he had a small budget but still played good football . Okocha was brilliant , Djorkaeff was a WC winner ? They stayed up comfortably year after year, even top 6 once I believe?
    This long ball football that he is 'famous' for is a bit of a red herring . He was mainly brought in to teams to stabilise them, save them from relegation etc but it appears he's stuck with it.
    But yeah, let's bring Brian Giggs in eh ?

Craftsman
    All these managers with big club experience and international pedigree have failed with England. We can't really do much worse so why not try something different and appoint a Shearer or a Scholes. What have we to lose?

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoat View Post
    Has Allardyce ever been given funds allowing him to buy without limits or has he always been underfunded?
    Genuine question as I can't recall limitless funds at Newcastle or West Ham . At Bolton he had a small budget but still played good football . Okocha was brilliant , Djorkaeff was a WC winner ? They stayed up comfortably year after year, even top 6 once I believe?
    This long ball football that he is 'famous' for is a bit of a red herring . He was mainly brought in to teams to stabilise them, save them from relegation etc but it appears he's stuck with it.
    But yeah, let's bring Brian Giggs in eh ?

After that Panorama investigation i don't think he was ever given massive funds!