closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: OK, one more time...RMSD and what you're covered for...?

OK, one more time...RMSD and what you're covered for...?

I know this has most likely been asked a thousand times but would anyone care to chip and refresh my ailing memory as to "Yes they do insure watches up to 2.5K" or "No, they don't"

I'm only having the jitters because they lost a next day parcel I sent for about 8 days the other week before it turned up at its destination.....

Cheers

Sending in the UK, watches are covered up to £2500 as long you declare the value and pay the extra postage.

Sending abroad, watches are only covered up to £250 maximum.

Definitive, unless they've changed the policy recently?

How do they value the watches though in case of a claim? Do they take the sender's word of the value? Do they ask for proof of value?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

As above, watches up to £2500 are fine. Just make sure that you tell them the value.

Yes, they do.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by seikopath View Post
    How do they value the watches though in case of a claim? Do they take the sender's word of the value? Do they ask for proof of value?
    It would be interesting to hear a response to this from anyone who has actually claimed?

Master
    I've never been asked for proof of valuation and sent many watches RMSD over the years without issue, there I've tempted fate now 😕

Usually I initiate the upping the cover conversation, has got me thinking about a claim now if it was required, I guess you've got pics of the watch from any sale but could foresee problems. Maybe someone could chime in with a less than ideal tail that they've been through ?

This is where Mark R in London comes in...

Evidence of the actual loss must be provided to enable Royal Mail to determine the value of the contents of a packet. Such evidence might be original receipts, bank or credit card statements, details of age, paypal record, invoices, manufacturing costs, auctioneers valuation, and repair costs in the case of damage claims.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

If it's worth more than £2.5k I think they've changed policy recently whereby they want give you any compensation at all.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    If it's worth more than £2.5k I think they've changed policy recently whereby they want give you any compensation at all.

Steve
    That has been the case for a long time.

R

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    That has been the case for a long time.

R
    Ah OK. I thought it was a new thing!

You cannot 'part insure'. Also, take photographs of the packing process with proof of date in one of the pics, e.g. a newspaper.

Quote Originally Posted by dejjl View Post
    You cannot 'part insure'. Also, take photographs of the packing process with proof of date in one of the pics, e.g. a newspaper.
    Do you really do that Dave?
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

The more info and proof you can give them, the easier it would be to claim I'd assume.

Steve

Thanks to all for the replies

I'm afraid I can be a bit 'glass half empty' at times.

Master
    My expectation is that RM would be hard work thus I've learned to video the packaging and unpacking of watches bought and sold. Better safe than sorry especially for more expensive watches.

Blog Entries
    In order to make a damaged in transit claim you need to be able to evidence that you adhered to the standards required. I think its 10cm of bubble wrap around anything you wish to protect. I found this out to my cost as my 8cm wasn't quite enough. Also if you receive anything damaged ensure you keep ALL packaging.
    They really do wriggle like lizards in a tin to avoid paying out.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    What did you search for clever clogs?

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Yes thank you for your chirping in but my post did say it had been discussed previously.
    Nobody likes a smart ar$e you know.

Master
    I can confirm they will honour it. It is a few years ago now but I sold a TH Monaco for £2.5k, sent it RMSD, insured up to £2500 and Saturday Guaranteed (so pretty much top of the shop when it comes to RMSD prices). Anyway it arrived with the bag tampered with and resealed, the buyer had the sense to make the postie wait while he checked, the package had been opened, unwrapped, watch taken, rewrapped and resealed, luckily for me he had the sense to refuse to sign for the delivery and clearly wrote why on the card. It too a claim form and a follow up call but they paid out in full and refunded the postage costs.

I have had a couple go missing since and they have paid out but now ask for proof of what the item inside cost

Master
    ^^^^^^ Good advice. I would certainly look to open any valuable packages in the presence of a RM employee so as to verify the contents or absence thereof. My experience involved a loosely secured package which, with hindsight, could have been opened and resealed more than once. In reality the evidence pointed to the sender not including the item but, to cross reference a different issue covered in a post here a while back, the insurance claim was the sender's to make and they weren't keen on sharing the details of that claim. All in all a reminder of the value of H&V on a forum like this but it's still sensible to take precautions (as my Dad used to say).

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    My only experience of claiming from RM for a high value watch was about 10 years or so ago.

I sent a Breitling Premiere chrono to a chap in the US who had paid by cheque. It was about $1700, and stupidly, I didn't wait for the cheqque to clear (yes, I know!!)

A couple of days later, I had a very bad experience when my bank rang to say that the cheque had bounced. I thought that that would be the last I would ever see of my money.

I immediately checked tracking to the US, and to my releif, found that the package was still at my local sorting office, and hadn't yet been forwarded to the international carrier. The PO, however, disregarded all my pleas, and said that they were not allowed to return it to me!!

A couple of days later, it still appeared to be in Carlisle sorting office. I queried the tracking, and was told they couldn't find the watch. A few days later, GPO investigation branch said that it appeared that the package had been stolen, probably because I had made a fuss, and a member of staff had found out how valueable the package was (it was also declared on the customs label - what a stupid system).

I didn't have to provide any evidence of the value of the contents, they accepted my word, aand insurance paid up within a week.

I was lucky it was stolen, because it was likely that I'd have lost the cash, due to the buyers cheque bouncing.

Regarding paying extra for insurance.. whilst I always pay the extra, it is my contention that I shouldn't have to. When I post a parcel, no matter what the value, it passes into the care of Royal Mail, and I believe that it becomes their responsibility, risk and all! If it gets lost or stolen, it is stolen from them, not I, so in an ideal world, the loss is theirs to bear.

If only 2 or 3% of packages are lost, stolen, or damaged, imagine how many millions they must make in profit from their insurance fees!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post

Steve
    Just to check on this, are you saying if the actual value is higher than 2,500 they won't pay anything at all? I always assumed they'd cover the 2.5k but nothing for the remainder of true value. Hope I've confused your point as this sounds concerning and something I certainly wasn't aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
    Just to check on this, are you saying if the actual value is higher than 2,500 they won't pay anything at all? I always assumed they'd cover the 2.5k but nothing for the remainder of true value. Hope I've confused your point as this sounds concerning and something I certainly wasn't aware of.
    It is correct. You are breaching their T&C’s if the value is more than £2500 or if the item is prohibited.

R

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphy View Post
    It is correct. You are breaching their T&C’s if the value is more than £2500 or if the item is prohibited.

R
    +2. It's a common condition with insurance. If it was worth £5000 they wouldn't give out the first £2500, they'd say it was not insured and give out nothing.

Craftsman
    So with a wary eye on sending my YM through the postal system, can anyone give advice on a decent service for high value items, ie more than £2.5K?

Every service I have tried so far the insurance for up to £5K is £200 (or £199) , seems a bit excessive or maybe they just do not trust any of their employees!

Quote Originally Posted by boxbrownie View Post
    So with a wary eye on sending my YM through the postal system, can anyone give advice on a decent service for high value items, ie more than £2.5K?
    Have you read the thread mentioned above? It goes into much more detail on the RMSD offering, and the alternatives which are available for insuring watches valued at over £2500.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?193107

Quote Originally Posted by boxbrownie View Post

Every service I have tried so far the insurance for up to £5K is £200 (or £199) , seems a bit excessive or maybe they just do not trust any of their employees!
    Open a Parcel Pro account. It will take about 3 days and you'll need a few references, usually people you've sold to on here.

Otherwise, it might be cheaper to fly to the delivery destination

I must say thank you to the OP and the others within this thread for the information. I really should read T&C's as I was well unaware of this and can certainly count myself lucky. Now in the process of opening a Parcel Pro account.

Thanks again guys.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Have you read the thread mentioned above? It goes into much more detail on the RMSD offering, and the alternatives which are available for insuring watches valued at over £2500.

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?193107

you can use these: https://www.mbe.co.uk

i think insurance is something like 3% of the item value and they insist on pictures and proper packaging which they can provide. The actual courier is your choice. Branches all over. No need for a parcel pro account. Martyn