closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Watch

Holiday Watch

Ok holidays are almost upon us and I was wondering what you take away with you?

I have restricted myself to two.

Master
    Tell me you don't leave a DRSD in your hotel room?

I generally take three - two to alternate and a Timex Ironman Shock as backup and beach if I'm feeling precious.

The list to choose from this year is

CWC diver auto
    CWC diver quartz
    Apeks 200m
    Citizen 200m diver NY2300
    Seiko SKX007
    Seiko SRP777

Plus a number of NATOs for extra variety, including orange and fluorescent green that I'm not keen on wearing for work.

Any of them can handle anything and if I do go out for a meal then I can switch to a black NATO.

Banned
    I am very glad I didn't sell this one now, I wore it for most of June the longest I have worn one watch in years.

It was either this or the CWC Q diver as this is cheaper and is on Eddies excellent 2 piece nylon it had to be.

plus its solar and I was heading for the sun.

I will only ever take Quartz on holiday as I don't wear a watch when I am riding my motorcycle.

I wore it like I did before I had a real interest in watches,that is without worry day or night swimming or whatever.

Craftsman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed something strange having been to the same Center Parcs two years running.

Last year, it was all G-Shocks. This year, narry a one and lots of mid-tier steel sports (Subs, GMTs, Aquaracers etc), in the pool and everywhere else.

Has something changed in a year or are my sample sizes statistically insignificant here? It really was quite a remarkable difference....

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Tell me you don't leave a DRSD in your hotel room?
    No in a safe in the house it's normally on my wrist if I'm honest, it like a swim every now and then.

Depends where I'm going! Info however avoid Rolex, always. I think I'd be asking for trouble.

Last one in Thailand I had a ROO AND BPFF chrono for beach and pool, and from memory my old Revero Grande for evenings and dinners. They are the three I remember taking but I believe I had 5...

Master
    Non-beach holidays, then it's this:

On beach holidays I no longer wear a watch during the day, so I shall just be taking this for evenings this year:

Master
    Always take my Oakley Timebomb so scrape and dent and either Pam88 GMT or Breitling Chronomat Evo for evenings.

Master
    I usually take my orange Sumo, but it is badly in need of a service, so I just bought a Scurfa diver to use for my Hols.

Master
    My old SMP.. It's a veteran of countless holidays now both beach and city. Sometimes I think a GMT might be more useful but the SMP always seems to win out and never comes off my wrist for the whole holiday.
    I think an SMP (especially one that's something like 25 years old now) sets the right tone between style and function without appearing too complacent or showy.

Been away twice this year, a 4 day stag do and then the best part of a week at Le Mans. Wasn't practical to take more than a single watch to either and I didn't need anything smart for the stag do so I took my mm300 to both. No idea as yet if I'll do anything else this year, my city break to Lisbon last year I took my Damasko DC67si and my Grand Seiko SBGA003.

Last holiday I took a Tudor Black Bay Black for evenings and beach and a Zelos Abyss to see how it coped with diving.

The next holiday will probably take the DSSD for the beach and maybe the Cartier Santos for evenings, the Zelos will come too!

Holiday resilience is one of the reasons I bought this:

Perfect to cope with the pool/beach/kids and, on its bracelet, restaurant smart IMHO.

Craftsman
    Only need one when it's this versatile. Now on a black isofrane.

Each to his own, but I personally would prefer to leave an expensive watch at home in a safe whilst abroad. I would just wear an old beater that would not have any attention drawn to it and if it got lost, stolen, taken as part of a mugging then no real harm done and over keen customs guys wouldn't pay any attention to it and when you get home, your pride and joy is safe and sound waiting for you.

Swimming in a DRSD - you are a very, very brave man indeed.

Master
    Usually a G-shock as I tend to buy something else while I am there as a treat to myself. However, I have recently bought a Longines HC for my next holiday as I felt it is reasonably smart for New Years Eve celebrations, but at the same time durable enough for a spot of snorkling/loafing on the beach. It's also not that expensive that I will be upset with any bumps and grazes it attracts.

Craftsman

When in a different time zone....

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Each to his own, but I personally would prefer to leave an expensive watch at home in a safe whilst abroad. I would just wear an old beater that would not have any attention drawn to it and if it got lost, stolen, taken as part of a mugging then no real harm done and over keen customs guys wouldn't pay any attention to it and when you get home, your pride and joy is safe and sound waiting for you.

Hey you are right "each to his own" however the funny thing for me is that I quite like to take a nice watch on holiday. I don't exactly know why because I understand that there may be some risk and I am a bit paranoid about leaving nice watches in a hotel safe but I like the idea of enjoying some of my watches in the environment they were designed for. That might not mean diving 3000m under the ocean but at least I enjoy being able to wear them on the beach and in the pool, plus often I like to dress up a little for the evening and whilst I love my G Shock it doesn't always cut it in a nice restaurant or beachside bar. I will admit that the decision of which watches to take does very much depend on the holiday location.

Master
    What is a holiday?

If you have money for holidays it probably means you haven't spent enough on watches.

Ken it's been serviced and I have double checked with Rolex so all good 

Quote Originally Posted by UKMike View Post
    What is a holiday?

If you have money for holidays it probably means you haven't spent enough on watches.
    I agree with this statement unfortunately my wife and daughters don't 

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePattinson View Post
    Hey you are right "each to his own" however the funny thing for me is that I quite like to take a nice watch on holiday. I don't exactly know why because I understand that there may be some risk and I am a bit paranoid about leaving nice watches in a hotel safe but I like the idea of enjoying some of my watches in the environment they were designed for. That might not mean diving 3000m under the ocean but at least I enjoy being able to wear them on the beach and in the pool, plus often I like to dress up a little for the evening and whilst I love my G Shock it doesn't always cut it in a nice restaurant or beachside bar. I will admit that the decision of which watches to take does very much depend on the holiday location.

I understand that, wouldn't it be nice to wear a Heur in Monaco or even Le Mans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8T1D6Jqc3Y

Quote Originally Posted by legin View Post
    Ken it's been serviced and I have double checked with Rolex so all good  
    Nigel, your call entirely, but if for any reason the crown was accidently left open or failed in the water or the crystal failed, that's £20k+ worth of damage. I used to take mine off when having a wash or doing the dishes etc.

Nigel, your call entirely, but if for any reason the crown was accidently left open or failed in the water or the crystal failed, that's £20k+ worth of damage. I used to take mine off when having a wash or doing the dishes etc.
    Sorry for my ignorance, but isn't it a dive watch?

What's the point in having a dive watch if it can't go swimming?

Craftsman
    Off on my hols tomorrow and as it's a mixture of cycle touring and lazing on the beach I'll be taking lightweight and robust watches, in this instance the Citizen in the centre and the G-Shock on the right

Cheers

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Jyaque View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but isn't it a dive watch?

What's the point in having a dive watch if it can't go swimming?
    The point is that a DRSD is a watch over 40 years old and a very high percentage of the value of the watch is in the dial and if that were to get damaged the financial loss would be considerable. A lot (not all) of collectors of vintage watches would not take them near water for this reason.

If you want a watch to swim and dive in, the advice is to always buy new.

Fair enough and understood. That'll be why I don't take my SKX009 on holiday, as I don't know for certain it's history before it came to me (i.e. how water - tight it is). Admittedly different league though. Thank you for the education.
    Last edited by Jyaque; 9th July 2016 at 10:29.

Quote Originally Posted by legin View Post
    Ok holidays are almost upon us and I was wondering what you take away with you?

I have restricted myself to two.

Can I ask how the bezel works on the G Shock? I recently researched ABC watches and liked this a lot but could never figure out what the - under + over where and how they'd be used. Is it for the hour hand to track a 2nd time zone? Thanks

Abroad for beach holidays, My trusty Omega SMP.
    Weekend away in the UK, Pam 268

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    I usually try to confine myself to 2 watches for holidays.

Beach holidays or anything active it's usually my Seiko 009 or the CW Trident:

For smarter affairs or evenings, it varies between the Omega SMP, the Orient Star, the Monaco or the Tank Francaise:

SGR

Craftsman
    We will be camping again so this (and a couple of other NATOs) will come along for sea swimming and telling the time at night.

This on Perlon for warmer days (here hoping !) and a smarter look.

And this because I can't not wear it for two weeks.

I have a lovely little watch role my daughters bought me that I hide them away in when not wearing.

Banned
    Stupid question maybe, but I would like a Seiko non auto similar to a 007.
    is there anything available along those lines that's reliable?

Normally only take one. Last holiday was this. Cycling holiday. Somebody else came off and broke his watch in the crash, made me think, well for a few minutes anyway

Good holiday watch as waterproof, versatile, and most people have no idea what it is.

Craftsman
    I always wear my old Omega SMP for beach holidays, a great all rounder.

Pete

I'd never take a really expensive watch on holiday - much safer in the bank or the safe.

I'm going to be taking a 2254.50 for evenings (and days when not sunbathing/swimming) and a GW-500 for beach and pool.

Caveat: That may be b*llocks.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 9th July 2016 at 13:50.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by devonpete View Post
    I always wear my old Omega SMP for beach holidays, a great all rounder.

Pete
    I'm spotting a pattern here... the SMP is a popular choice (wearing mine right now).

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    38 degrees in Nissi Beach today, and I've been wearing this:-

I've also brought my aerospace too, both have been in the pool with me this week.

I'm absolutely hopeless at picking one or two, so I have a 5 watch travel case I use and this year we are off to Rhodes in a couple of weeks and at the moment the choice is between these

Beach- Trusty modded panda G

Evenings can be anything from fine dining to local festivals and tavernas so I pick from these
    Bombproof U1

DSSD on Rubber B or bracelet(not decided yet)

Seawolf Chrono

Newly acquired Steelfish

Also have a MLC milestone

And this Longines Conquest

Carry them in my hand luggage and can make for interesting conversation at the X-ray machine

Wife thinks I'm nuts and she is probably right

Master
    For my holidays and long weekends away I don't take a watch, it's the only time I'm not governed by it and can do what I want whenever I want, so liberating

Omega AT
    Seiko 5 FFF
    Casio Sea Pathfinder

Well it's still working

This seems to be a good choice for almost any activity.

Sent from my X17_S using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I only need one and its always a quartz SMP.Job done

Master
    Blog Entries
    This last year. Probably something different this year on account of the fact I've sold it.

Master
    Another SMP vote here, but next year I am considering getting an Aerospace or a SMP Chrono which would take over the role.

If I weigh up the insurance, the YM might go as well

Last time away, I took a Tudor pelagos on rubber, perfect in my opinion.

This is on holiday with me right now. Last year I had a bond SMP that I foolishly sold so after I came to my senses I replaced it with this one which I like even more.

I find it's fairly easy to lose small objects when you're vacationing, especially if you're changing locations several times during your holiday. So far I've only ever lost electrical adapters and plug strips, but my wife has lost a Pandora bracelet ($500) and an MP3 player ($150).

Consequently I've stuck to a one watch policy, and I usually don't take anything I'd regret losing or seeing damaged. I take several straps and a strap changing tool along to alleviate boredom. Last time out, I took the PRS18Q. The time before that, I took a Franken-Seiko that looks like it might be something more expensive than it is.

Well although I have one of these

and this one

I would agree with Wallaseyrunner that taking them for a swim might not be the best idea.
    I am holiday at the moment
    and a favourite watch for holidays is this