closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever bought a watch, sold it and decided you wanted one back??

Master

Ever bought a watch, sold it and decided you wanted one back??

So I purchased a brand new DSSD from my local AD the Xmas before last and decided after a few weeks that I really wasnt bonding with it so decided to move it on. Now it must have been quite a strong urge because I ended up losing £2k in 6 weeks which wasnt my finest moment...........

So now when I think about my next watch or one I really fancy (apart from a Patek Nautilis that I cant really afford) the one that keeps popping into my head is a bloody DSSD. Now surely thats not right?? Maybe its my brains way of making sure I dont have any spare money or punishing me for something............

Tell me I am not alone and what can be done about this stupidity!!

You're not the only one by any stretch. Some members here have had the same watch a dozen times. What put you off the DSSD first time? If it was the size, have you tried the SDc?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    Tell me I am not alone and what can be done about this stupidity!!
    Yes, you are alone. That my friend is Grand Seiko money you just flushed down the toilet. Never ever do that again. What can be done? Next time simply buy a Grand Seiko.

You are not alone. I have had two CWC Quartz Divers and Two Steinhart Ocean One Military watches. Buy one, sell it, buy it back again, then sell it again.

It's what this forum does to you as I hadn't heard of either watch before I joined.

Master
    Yep, I've done that a few times.

FWIW, I have only kept one of my re-purchases... but that one is going nowhere. Make of that what you will.

Twice- Breitling Aerospace, had one, flipped it, thought 'oh bugger, why did I do that?' Since replaced, not going anywhere.

Smith's PRS-29A, had one, sold it back to the original owner, though 'oh bugger, why did I do that?'- now on the constant prowl of SC and Eddie's shop waiting for the new batch.

been there, done that.

Master
    Blog Entries
    A breitling Colt. On pro 2 bracelet. I let it go for 900 euro 3 years ago. Full set including receipt showing purchase price of 1650euros in 2006.

I had paid the same for it 4 years previously and wore it as a beater. A work horse of a watch. Was battered! Miss it. Love the pro 2 bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by Normunds View Post
    been there, done that.
    way too often
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Journeyman
    All too often. Recently did it with a Sinn 809.

I've bought a few watches back before but always sold them again.

Yep on my third Tudor Snowflake, could have saved a fortune if I had keep the first

One of my first nice watches, a Hamilton Pan Europ chrono black dial, sold it after six months or so, then bought another couple months later then sold it again. Really want a blue LE really.

Apprentice
    likewise, i've missed some watches i've sold a few years back and now trying to snap up similar used ones when they pop up... in the process, i've been selling some pieces as well. makes me think if i'm going to miss these ones as well... vicious cycle

One. A very nice 1940s Wittnauer Valjoux 71 chrono.
    It wa a lovely simple thing, and selling it was a mistake. Selling it for the paltry sum I got for it was a big mistake

Dave

Yep, well - kind of. I've had nearly every stainless sports Rolex, apart from the Daytona, multiple submariners in different flavours, seadwellers etc - and after flipping them I finally came to realise I don't really like them (otherwise why the constant change?). Too expensive a mistake to make again imho. If you took a £2k haircut last time, what makes you think you'll like it more this time? Look back a few years to when the DSSD was launched, to universal derision (and then they cost about £3650 new?) and nobody wanted one. No they're the flavour of the week (for some reason - perhaps the James Cameron related monstrosity marketing has worked) - they're still a big fat odd looking watch on a skinny bracelet, with a pointless WR rating. Imho of course 😉

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sort of. I had this and decided to flip it in a fit of snobbery, thinking a TAG doesn't belong in a collection of Rolexes, PAMs, Omegas and Zeniths.

In the end I just missed it and decided to buy his handsome brother instead. Now it's getting more wrist time than the rest of the bunch.

You are not the only one.
    Lot of others have done the same including starting threads about it:-)
    Perfectly normal.

Craftsman
    I sold this about a year ago and over the last month or so I have watched about 4 on eBay. Not pulled the trigger yet though.

Master
    Yep, I think we've all done it on here. My SubC is my regret (sold it twice), I just hope the new owner is looking after it.
    I never did like how Rolex puts your name and address on the warranty card, it sort of keeps you linked to the watch albeit with a bit of ink but the tie remains :-(
    Last edited by oiljam; 3rd July 2016 at 14:20.

These 3 are back on my want list.

In the hotel in La Spezia after removing the stickers, paid £3850 new in 2014. Should have kept it really.

This one came from Mappin & Webb a month later, had a few issues and fell out of love. Lost £1000 on it.

This came from the forum and has been with 3 other forum members since then. I think most people who've had one end up getting another.

Yes. I've had two original 6309s and needed to buy another, this one:

Blog Entries
    Of course. On my 4th Planet Ocean 2500.

Master
    I've bought and sold Tudor Pelagos three times. I'm not going to buy fourth one.

Master
    I miss the prs-18 I had and would but another if it came up but haven't actually bought the same again yet. I've only owned c25 watches in the last few years ago so too many out there to try just yet but I've no doubt it'll happen!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    sea dwellers. I'm on #6

Craftsman
    Oh yes! Sold (p/x'd) an Omega 2254.50. I had a PO in it's place, sold now hardly worn, really regret doing that. And I sold a Breitling Navitimer for a pittance and would buy another tomorrow, funds permitting.

Blog Entries
    For me it was a Bremont MBII, flipped one to part fund a Rollie, missed it and just bought another one!!, only to be seduced by a Alt-C so might be flipping it again. Ahhhh the madness

Master
    This:

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ean-42mm-2500D

But thankfully the buyer and I stayed in touch and it'll be on its way back to me soon.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie169 View Post
    For me it was a Bremont MBII, flipped one to part fund a Rollie, missed it and just bought another one!!, only to be seduced by a Alt-C so might be flipping it again. Ahhhh the madness
    Glad it's not just me.

Took an age to find a good MBII, bought it and sold it again in 48 hours.

Now have another (currently on my wrist).

The real problem is Autodromos. Had, er, six.

Master
    I think part of the problem is that I really want the James Cameron edition DSSD purely because I am a fan and it seems cooler somehow....... Same bloody watch with a different face with all the same things I DIDN'T like about the other one. Oh and more expensive so I can lose more in the long run.

Probably buy one at some point though and keep the cycle of stupidity going!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yep. Seamasters, on my second, although different models, 2254 to 2581....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    PRS-20. Buy one. Too big for me. Sell it. Buy another. Too big for me. Sell it. Will buy another for sure... this forum has a lot to answer for!

Quote Originally Posted by zanderpants View Post
    I think part of the problem is that I really want the James Cameron edition DSSD purely because I am a fan and it seems cooler somehow....... Same bloody watch with a different face with all the same things I DIDN'T like about the other one. Oh and more expensive so I can lose more in the long run.

Probably buy one at some point though and keep the cycle of stupidity going!!

'Same bloody watch' but looks and feels totally different. I also think that £8250 on a new Deep Blue DSSD is a better bet than £6k on a pre-owned one.

I've had both, loved both, sold both and will have another blue one at some point. That dial makes it a special watch.

Grand Master
    Yes many times,and most of what I have now I've had and sold before!.

Probably owned 10 smp's

The one I whish I had never sold

Master
    I think in reality the things I didnt like about the watch and that led me to the decision that it was OK to lose £2k in 6 weeks would still be there despite the nice coloured face. It could have fireworks coming out of it and it would still be (for me) a flawed watch that I will only end up selling on again.

That is the logical side of my brain talking though, the side that makes me do stupid stuff will for sure make me buy one at some point!!

Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    'Same bloody watch' but looks and feels totally different. I also think that £8250 on a new Deep Blue DSSD is a better bet than £6k on a pre-owned one.

I've had both, loved both, sold both and will have another blue one at some point. That dial makes it a special watch.

Quote Originally Posted by animalone View Post
    The one I whish I had never sold
    I bet you do! Do you remember where that NATO is from?

Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I bet you do! Do you remember where that NATO is from?
    I really thought it was from timefactors but the one on the site just now looks a bit different so I could be wrong? It was about 4 years ago
    I think I may still have it in a drawer somewhere if you want it ? (may need a wash thought)

Craftsman
    I've done it at least three times, I bought a Breitling Superocean, kept it for about a year, sold it and immediately regretted selling so bought another which I also sold after a few months. I then did exactly the same thing with a Seiko Sumo.
    The third was a bit different, I bought a cheap Breitling Aerospace, absolutely loved it but wanted a newer version with bracelet. I still have the second one.

James.

Master
    Yes bought a Zenith Big Date Pilot chronograph. Wore it 8 times in 3 months and then sold it for 2600.00 having paid in excess of 5k.
    Biggest loss in the pursuit of a "GRAIL"
    Love it but the size put me off wearing it. But would love ti own one again..............

Craftsman
    I tracked down a VC Overseas, then stupidly sold it and regretted it shortly after. I've been trying to get one back ever since. I imagine it's a common enough thing.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Twice.

Bought both back (the exact same watch).

BLNR
    still got;

MM300
    Sold again;

Sinn U1 - 3 times
    Let's see when I will give her another try

Done exactly the same with Rolex Submariner, Seadweller, Daydate & Patek 5127R
    I don't believe that I will ever be cured 😉

3 times I've had a Longines Legend Diver, including 1 without the date and I am lost with a watch with no date

every time I see one, I fall for them, but even before it arrives I start to remember why I sold the last one, then within a few days at best I realise my wrist is too big for it (just my sense of scale)

in fact if one appeared on the SC now, I'd be seriosuly tempted, probably check the listing a few times, and god help me if I spot one in the shops, but I think I'm over it now, but also just know I will have to talk myself out of it again and probably AGAIN!

Master
    Ive done that with a Daytona. Bought it 3 times, sold it twice. Now it is finally a keeper.

Nope.

I'm a bit of a hoarder, but usually when I do part with a watch I realise it didn't really bother me that much to do so.

I do, however, still miss my Longines Ultronic a bit.

M.

Grand Master
    done it with an smp, a seiko 6105-8000 and a million monsters!
    ktmog6uk
    marchingontogether!

I reckon I've had four blue dialled Omega SMPs and three 22.54.50s. Currently considering another one