closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Rolex glidelock clasp

Rolex glidelock clasp

Hello all. I haven't posted for quite a while and only recently started visiting again. Some advice here would be much appreciated. I've put down a hefty deposit on a new Rolex Sub 114060, and am told by the AD that it will be here by August. I've got a vintage 1964 Air King, so this will be an entirely different Rolex for me. There are extremes of temperature where I live - very hot summers and very cold winters - and my wrist diameter certainly does change with the seasons, so I anticipate that the glidelock will be a useful feature. I'm thinking that the AD should size the bracelet, in terms of removing links, so that the glidelock is in the middle of its range. Is that best, or is there an advantage, in terms of clasp stability/function, of having the bracelet length set so the glidelock is closer to one end of it's range of movement? If I do need to add or remove bracelet links at a later stage is it an easy job to do myself (have done screw type and push pin type bracelets before), or do I need special tools? Cheers and many thanks for any advice.

I've got mine set in the middle for adjustment either side, it's what I always recommend
    Link removal is the same as before, a 1.6mm screwdriver is all you need

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi
    I've just bought my first glidelock Sub and for some reason the AD wanted to set it at one end so there was a greater amount of adjustment to go larger. I had to insist on a central position.

Master
    Links are dead easy to adjust yourself, you just need the correct jewellers screwdriver and a tiny amount of low strength Loctite. I wouldn't let the AD monkey do it.

For the clasp, I have my SDc set so that there is no adjustment tighter when I'm cold. That way I can always go larger when I'm warm, plus it gives me the maximum extension over a wetsuit if I decide to dive with it without having to use the divers extension (which is uncomfortable for day to day wear).

Craftsman
    You could have looked at the Tudor Pelagos as the perfect clasp for your scenario

As others have said, set the strap size to the glideloack adjustment middle if you can

What you may find though is that the clasp is somehow not balanced in the middle in this configuration which can cause the head to drift to one side on your wrist.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacemaster View Post
    As others have said, set the strap size to the glideloack adjustment middle if you can

What you may find though is that the clasp is somehow not balanced in the middle in this configuration which can cause the head to drift to one side on your wrist.
    Surely you just adjust removable links so that's not the case?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    Surely you just adjust removable links so that's not the case?
    You might think that, but unless you specifically have half links you can end up with an imbalance in my experience - I have found the it not possible to get the clasp in the middle on my sdc

Banned
    Don't worry, it is a great bracelet and you can easily add or remove links to one side or the other yourself. I would not ask the AD to do anything, I would do it myself. You are clearly more than capable of it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Don't worry, it is a great bracelet and you can easily add or remove links to one side or the other yourself. I would not ask the AD to do anything, I would do it myself. You are clearly more than capable of it.
    ^^ do the opposite of what that says and you'll be fine ;)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    ^^ do the opposite of what that says and you'll be fine ;)
    Whatever you do, do not under any circumstances buy a Grand Seiko watch!

Can you honor us with some pics of your Grand Seiko collection?

I won't.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Can you honor us with some pics of your Grand Seiko collection?
    I only have one, hardly a collection.

I only have one, hardly a collection.
    Nothing wrong with having just the one.
    Which one is it? Hopefully, a diver since those are my favorites.
    Grand Seiko watches are amazing in quality even if they don't hold their value well.
    But, they are not the only watches with quality. Nothing wrong with being a devoted fan but you are doing yourself a disservice by the slavish devotion as well as the forum by being dismissive about other brands. Even if some of it might be tongue in cheek.
    Last edited by RAJEN; 24th June 2016 at 00:09.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Nothing wrong with having just the one.
    Which one is it? Hopefully, a diver since those are my favorites.
    Grand Seiko watches are amazing in quality even if they don't hold their value well.
    But, they are not the only watches with quality. Nothing wrong with being a devoted fan but you are doing yourself a disservice by the slavish devotion as well as the forum by being dismissive about other brands. Even if some of it might be tongue in cheek.
    Here you go. I am not a diver, so it is not a diver. It is my office watch, SBGX065. I purchased it in Tokyo for a good price so there is no problem with holding the value, in the unlikely event I ever sell it (that would only happen if my children are starving...)

More here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ko#post3206662

Yes, tongue in cheek is spot on...
    Last edited by GrandS; 24th June 2016 at 00:28.

Here you go. I am not a diver, so it is not a diver. It is my office watch, SBGX065. I purchased it in Tokyo for a good price so there is no problem with holding the value, in the unlikely event I ever sell it (that would only happen if my children are starving...)

More here: http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.ph...ko#post3206662

Yes, tongue in cheek is spot on...
    Is that a seiko 5?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by alexaff View Post
    Is that a seiko 5?
    Yes, great guess!

Master
    i bought the same model rolex as the OP and i have to say in this humid weather its my go to watch because of the bracelet,i have to alter the glidelock 3 times a day at the moment..

Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I will just sort it myself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Thanks for all the help guys. Looks like I will just sort it myself.
    Good on you, enjoy your great watch.

Master
    Blog Entries
    For anybody that has the seadweller deep sea, the glidelock clasp works in a different way to the one on the sub. There's a lever on the clasp which has to be lifted up first