closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: W10 Omega Seamaster 300 Just sold at Bonhams - Thoughts?

W10 Omega Seamaster 300 Just sold at Bonhams - Thoughts?

I've sold more than a dozen of these.......

....in the last fifteen years or so.

It would have been nice to sell them for this price!

But as my wife's grandfather used to say: "If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle!"

On a more serious note, I've been saying for years that these are under-valued (compared to the obvious alternative, the milsub, which used to reliably fetch ten times the price) Part of the reason is that I think fewer of these have survived - I well remember the chap who devised the water-proofing tests for military dive watches at Hurstmonceaux telling me how the Omegas always kept turning up looking like spirit levels! He told me the movements were far nicer than the Rolex equivalents, but the cases didn't protect them as well (and of course, this led to the change of crown from Naiad to screw-down in the Omegas)

Today's price is however astonishing, and I suspect we shouldn't imagine that the baseline has been reset - auctions are a bit of a law unto themselves after all.

(For those that knew him, Marci would be delighted.)

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

Staggering price, the last few went around £25k IIRC?
    Mil watches have rocketed over the last couple of years. There's some tasty pieces coming up in the Watches of Knightsbridge sale soon so I'll be keeping an interested eye on that, particularly the Precista 82 as these are seldom seen and having one I'm curious to see what it fetches.

Craftsman
    Definitely something odd about that one - can't fathom why it would go for so much - surely if you had that much burning a hole in your pocket you'd be able to source one from a dealer or similar for a lot less.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RayTango View Post
    Definitely something odd about that one - can't fathom why it would go for so much - surely if you had that much burning a hole in your pocket you'd be able to source one from a dealer or similar for a lot less.

yes you could ...unless one of the parties had a vested interest in pushing the prices up of all sm300 ...and the other party happened to be rich enough that the difference between 30k and 70k really isn't a big deal.

a big part of the problem right now is that a lot of the new wealthy buyers either cant be bothered bench marking a price properly or have no way to do it, so just rely on the idea that if someone else is prepared to be the underbidder then they cant be paying more than a bit over the odds.

service case too!

Craftsman
    Nice piece of history there :-) However, I always get lost when/where were Rolexes used and when/where the Omega ones.