closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Any Omega SMP Midsize owners on here?

Master

Any Omega SMP Midsize owners on here?

I am looking at a mint Omega SMP midsize watch from 2015 but having trawled the net, have only found limited photos to get an idea of size. I have small wrists and it looks like it could work but wondered if anyone on here has any feedback/experience or photos to help out?

My wrist size is borderline 7".

Thanks.

Master
    I have a 6.75 wrist and wear the full size SMPc - it fits the wrist very well as the watch is very flat, has curved lugs and relatively short lug-to-lug distance. So don't discount it, although I'm sure most omega boutiques will carry both

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBear View Post
    I have a 6.75 wrist and wear the full size SMPc - it fits the wrist very well as the watch is very flat, has curved lugs and relatively short lug-to-lug distance. So don't discount it, although I'm sure most omega boutiques will carry both
    Thanks, that's good to know.

Master
    No problem. FWIW here's a wrist shot. I have two half (although in reality more like 1/3rd) links added to the minimum bracelet size, one either side of the clasp.

Last edited by IanBear; 19th June 2016 at 16:20. Reason: photobucket playing up

Master
    Wife wears a smp midsize as she likes the larger watch than the usual 28mm ladies size. I've worn it and have 7.25" wrists and it was fine. Think a 7" wrist would be spot on for the mid size.

Master
    Thank you for the photos and it looks fine, you're right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by alas58 View Post
    Wife wears a smp midsize as she likes the larger watch than the usual 28mm ladies size. I've worn it and have 7.25" wrists and it was fine. Think a 7" wrist would be spot on for the mid size.
    Great info and more food for thought. Thanks.

Master
    I have 6.75" wrists and generally wear a 36mm watch daily so I bought a mid size SMP but felt, as a divers watch, it just looked too small. Perhaps it's because I also have a 40mm Submariner.

I gave the mid size SMP to my wife,who wears it everyday, and got the full size SMP for myself. This wears slightly larger than the Submariner but looks fine to me.

I've a 6.75" wrist and I find the 41mm SMPc to be a perfect fit for me. I wear mine on a nato which seems to help it wear a bit smaller than on the bracelet... even with the extra strap material underneath it wears very comfortably and flat. I say go for the full size.

Master
    Thanks gents, great insight. They look more natural at 41mm I agree and I sense the 36 might look a bit odd for a diver.

Grand Master
    Wears perfectly well on my 7.5" wrist.

A great watch and definitely not too small.

"Personally" I find the mid sizes ones too small for my wrist (18 cms)
    There are plenty though ' with bigger wrists than mine, who love the mid sized ones!?

It's all down to the individual, the only way to tell is by trying both on!

This is the advice I was given. I wish I had taken this advice. As I bought a mid sized one first....found it way too small, then of course I lost money when selling it!

Master
    Ok so I went and tried on both models today and the 36.5mm is definitely too small for me as a diver. They look gorgeous with the new dials and bezels but the 41mm is a perfect size.

Thanks again

Master
    I bought the mid-size about 12 years ago - it was my first proper Swiss watch - and as time has passed and my collection has grown I've begun to regret not buying the larger 41mm model. I love the watch a lot - it has masses of sentimental value - but it does just feel that fraction too small compared with my other 40 and 42mm divers. Suspect you've therefore done the right thing...

SGR

I did own the 41mm and it is a lovely watch. I have a similar sized wrist and in the end I moved it on due to the size and weight. Again, probably due to the comparison with my sub which is the sweet spot in terms of diver size for me. As always, personal preference should rule the day and I'd say go with your gut instinct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have 6 3/4" wrists and wore a midsize SMP for years and only thought it too small after getting a Seiko diver. It's all in the mind.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Riley View Post
    I have 6 3/4" wrists and wore a midsize SMP for years and only thought it too small after getting a Seiko diver. It's all in the mind.
    Well it wasn't in my mind today, it was on my wrist, and it looked too small, to me.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartGR View Post
    I bought the mid-size about 12 years ago - it was my first proper Swiss watch - and as time has passed and my collection has grown I've begun to regret not buying the larger 41mm model. I love the watch a lot - it has masses of sentimental value - but it does just feel that fraction too small compared with my other 40 and 42mm divers. Suspect you've therefore done the right thing...

SGR
    Did exactly the same thing and now feel exactly the same way.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

Master
    What are your thoughts, if any, on getting discounts at AD's on these models? Is it possible?

I picked up a SMP Chrono (42mm) from SC last week, and compared to my usual 44mm models, it is a very easy and comfortable fit.

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    What are your thoughts, if any, on getting discounts at AD's on these models? Is it possible?
    25% is a doddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    My Seamaster midsize was my second 'decent' watch but my first keeper (wedding day)
    I have relatively small wrists at 6 1/2" (flat rather than rounded)
    personally I think it fits/looks great, although I do wear larger watches
    I never regret going for the midsize as it's what suited me at the time and I still love it, although if I were to buy now I would probably go full size

a couple of pics for size comparison, hope they help

I have a 7" wrist and while a 36mm dress or sports watch wears well, the mid size diver seemed too small. The 41mm wears perfectly on this wrist size.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    My Seamaster midsize was my second 'decent' watch but my first keeper (wedding day)
    I never regret going for the midsize as it's what suited me at the time and I still love it, although if I were to buy now I would probably go full size

The PAM and the midsize together just shows what a wide range of watch sizes can work.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ged View Post
    The PAM and the midsize together just shows what a wide range of watch sizes can work.

definitely, 36mm mid size to 44mm Panerai both good for me. Think the OP has made his mind up though from reading post #12

Last edited by Tuna1138; 21st June 2016 at 10:29.

I had a seamaster 120m quartz from 2001 which I believe shares its case with the mid-smp in size, It was around 36mm excluding crown. Despite the fact this size is usually a sweet spot for my tiny wrist, it felt too small due to the heavily curved case. A straighter edge case would be fine, like on the AT.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post

It's looks fine you're right but again, I didn't think that was the case when I tried it on and so would definitely go for the 41mm.

Thanks again.

Master
    I have had both, my wrist is just over 7". Buying the mid size or boy's size as some friends unkindly chided was a big mistake. Go 41mm and you won't regret it. The SMP is a slim and organically rounded design which wears smaller than it looks. There is a good case for 36/37mm watches certainly and indeed dress or pilot style watches look great in this size but to my eye at least divers look silly. Bearing in mind the large bezel, you will have a similar face area and hand length to a 37mm non diver anyhow.

Wrist shot...

Master
    Looking at Prince William, I'll definitely go for full size like I've said on our exchange pm OP... Looking forward to see some wrist shots soon.