closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Daytona 116500LN advice

Daytona 116500LN advice

Right I have a dilemma, I have a white faced 116500LN on order and expect delivery in a couple of weeks ish according to my AD.
    I have "gone off" the watch but should I just cancel and let the next person on the list get it early or just put it in the safe and forget about it for 20 years??
    What would you do? I have an extremely good relationship with the AD and get invited to dinners and a trip to PP in the new year so I don't want to annoy then in any way.

⛵️

Apprentice
    I doubt you could annoy the AD by passing it up. All they'd have to do is call the next person on the list or put in in the window. It'll be sold in a few hours.
    If I were you, I'd buy and either flip it BNIB for a serious profit or stash in the safe. Don't pass on it though.

Banned
    Take delivery and flog it for great profit.

The AD are friendly because you spend loads of dosh.

If they fall out with you, another one will shower you with attention and freebies.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Take delivery then work your way through the enevitable list of PM's you're going to get sent offering to buy it off you. Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Take delivery then work your way through the inevitable list of PM's you've probably already got offering to buy it off you. Problem solved!
    Corrected that for you!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Take delivery then work your way through the enevitable list of PM's you're going to get sent offering to buy it off you. Problem solved!
    PM sent...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    Take delivery and flog it for great profit.
    Yes, and use the profit to buy a Grand Seiko watch!

Master
    Buy it, flip it to the highest offer - maybe contact Watchfinder and see what they'll give you for it? They were selling them for £16k recently! The white face watches are in highest demand.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by legin View Post
    and expect delivery in a couple of weeks ish according to my AD.
    ⛵️
    this seems to be a stumbling block here,

Craftsman
    Definitely take the watch. They are so sought after

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    Definitely take the watch. They are so sought after
    ...at the moment.

Master
    Holding for 20 years will be a bad idea, doubt the ceramics will be anything collectible.

Having said that, if I were you, I would buy and then think what to do. YOu can always flog it someone else or a dealer and make a tidy profit. No downside to buying it.

Buy it and sell it to me at RRP. I will even buy you a beer for your troubles.

Blog Entries
    Why not buy the watch and offer it on the Forum for what you paid?

Forum spirit, an' all

Quote Originally Posted by thattallchap View Post
    Why not buy the watch and offer it on the Forum for what you paid?

Forum spirit, an' all

Because it will melt the host server?!

This is a very easy question to answer and you need to get it bought and realise the opportunity to re-sell it. How many times in life will a "free" £X,000" windfall drop into your lap for doing pretty much nothing?

Good luck!

I know you'll get £12k on it from the trade. Ask me how I know...

Buy it. You can then decide what to do with it. You could keep it or offer it up here for what Watchfinder etc would buy in at. Profiteering or not, you would be giving someone the opportunity to buy at a price that otherwise wouldn't be available to them.

Master
    Right I have a dilemma, I have a white faced 116500LN on order and expect delivery in a couple of weeks ish according to my AD.
    I have "gone off" the watch but should I just cancel and let the next person on the list get it early or just put it in the safe and forget about it for 20 years??
    What would you do? I have an extremely good relationship with the AD and get invited to dinners and a trip to PP in the new year so I don't want to annoy then in any way.

⛵️
    I have to ask - how on earth can you order a watch such as the 116500LN one day and "go off it" the next. It seems ludicrously indecisive.

Will you go back on it tomorrow ?

I am not trying to start an argument but just really surprised.

Regards

Mick

Master
    Help, I've been offered a watch for eight grand that I can flip immediately for twelve. Shall I buy it?

Erm.....

Is it April 1st again already?

I wanted the opinions great and good and I think I have them. Thank you.

I know I shouldn't have said yes when asked but I did.

I think the sound thing to do is flip it and make a donation when sold.

⛵️

Blog Entries
    You've got to love those real WIS.

Daddel.
    Got a new watch, divers watch it is, had to drown the bastard to get it!

Master

⛵️
    Good decision! Very noble.

⛵️
    When you get it you might decide to keep it but understand that there is the potential good profit to be had.

Well done very good of you - I was lucky to have a free service (complete overhaul) from Hublot and I donated half the expected cost to charity as it was a windfall for me.

Not saying you should give half but sometimes we forget we are lucky to be able to afford these things so nice to give a bit back when you can.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Buy it. You can then decide what to do with it. You could keep it or offer it up here for what Watchfinder etc would buy in at. Profiteering or not, you would be giving someone the opportunity to buy at a price that otherwise wouldn't be available to them.
    That went REALLY well last time with the Snoopy Speedy on SC, so I'd just send it to Watchfinder. It's not worth the hassle from the self-appointed forum police.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    When you get it you might decide to keep it but understand that there is the potential good profit to be had.

Well done very good of you - I was lucky to have a free service (complete overhaul) from Hublot and I donated half the expected cost to charity as it was a windfall for me.

Not saying you should give half but sometimes we forget we are lucky to be able to afford these things so nice to give a bit back when you can.
    This is the right mindset!

⛵️
    Watchfinder might be the best way to go in terms of flipping. The SC crew might get a little wound up if they think the price is "too high". Good gesture!

Master
    Assuming you have the funds there is no logic in not buying it, because as you know, it will sell for a premium. However when you see it, you may love it. You've also got the history of Rolex and releasing there SS Daytona's - they will drip feed them out extremely slowly over the years to keep it desirable and the price at a premium. Throw in the mix that as there has been no price rise since 2012 and that we are now quite reasonably priced to other countries, a rise or two will logically happen, so even if they don't hold there current crazy pricing that is advertised (no idea if anyone has actually paid stupid money though) chances are that they will rise naturally anyway.

Can't see how you could lose on this one :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfan View Post
    That went REALLY well last time with the Snoopy Speedy on SC, so I'd just send it to Watchfinder. It's not worth the hassle from the self-appointed forum police.
    Agreed, but there is a middle ground to be had here. It is very easy to criticise anyone who appears to be profiteering, but if a member here is willing to pay over the odds for a ceramic Daytona then surely it is better to pay the dealer buy in price rather than the price the dealer will sell for. A devisive topic for sure, but why not let the person spending the money decide.

Master
    My thoughts exactly, but see the Snoopy situation for how not everyone sees it the same way...

My thoughts exactly, but see the Snoopy situation for how not everyone sees it the same way...
    Very familiar with the various Snoopy threads, in fact I PM'd a few of the people who were likely to get one. Some got stick on here and I was one of those who publically defended their actions. I ended up getting a Snoopy from a TZ member by paying over the odds - which I don't regret.

Master
    I'm in the same camp, I'm happy if someone else's profit is my saving. I'd call it a win/win. The snoopy and the Daytona are slightly different scenarios tho. One is a limited edition, the other is mass produced. You'll get a Daytona with patience at RRP, no chance for a Snoopy.
    I've sold my snoopy BTW, off forum, so no bias here.
    I'm one of those impatient one tho and I'm thinking of putting my 5711 up for trade for it. I don't want to hijack the thread but does anyone think a Daytona + 8k = PP 5711?
    I can replace my Patek in 6 months I reckon as I have a very good relationship with an AD, but I know no one that sells Rolex...

Quote Originally Posted by Deckard81 View Post
    I'm in the same camp, I'm happy if someone else's profit is my saving. I'd call it a win/win. The snoopy and the Daytona are slightly different scenarios tho. One is a limited edition, the other is mass produced. You'll get a Daytona with patience at RRP, no chance for a Snoopy.
    I've sold my snoopy BTW, off forum, so no bias here.
    I'm one of those impatient one tho and I'm thinking of putting my 5711 up for trade for it. I don't want to hijack the thread but does anyone think a Daytona + 8k = PP 5711?
    I can replace my Patek in 6 months I reckon as I have a very good relationship with an AD, but I know no one that sells Rolex...

This would imply a cost of £16k would it not for a purchaser of a ceramic daytona to get into your Patek? He pays list for a daytona and gives you £8k and daytona and you give him your Patek? Your watch is £16400 ish isn't it? So in my opinion I wouldn't call it a fair trade. The Daytona can be sold for £12k cash to watchfinder maybe £13k. Daytona owner could then put his name down on a list at an ad and within a year maybe two get a 5711 at list having only put another few thousand towards it. Doesn't seem like the deal of the century to me I'm afraid. I know the 5711 has a list but I'd say you got more chance of getting a 5711 than a steel Daytona.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    This would imply a cost of £16k would it not for a purchaser of a ceramic daytona to get into your Patek? He pays list for a daytona and gives you £8k and daytona and you give him your Patek? Your watch is £16400 ish isn't it? So in my opinion I wouldn't call it a fair trade. The Daytona can be sold for £12k cash to watchfinder maybe £13k. Daytona owner could then put his name down on a list at an ad and within a year maybe two get a 5711 at list having only put another few thousand towards it. Doesn't seem like the deal of the century to me I'm afraid. I know the 5711 has a list but I'd say you got more chance of getting a 5711 than a steel Daytona.
    If you think from a potential instant profit point of view you are absolutely right. I could probably get one 5711 per year if I really wanted to, maybe someone else can do the same with a Daytona.
    On the other hand, the 5711 might be discontinued this year and appreciate in value longer term, and the Daytona can only go down...
    From an RRP point of view seems fair to me but I appreciate that some might disagree, hence the question. Thank you for your opinion.

I'm not so familiar with the values but the Rolex is a "bubble watch" at the moment so personally I wouldn't go more than list if I was taking one in unless simply to flip on as who knows when the bubble will burst on them.

I'm not so familiar with the values but the Rolex is a "bubble watch" at the moment so personally I wouldn't go more than list if I was taking one in unless simply to flip on as who knows when the bubble will burst on them.

It's not a "bubble" piece at all....more a drip feed new release by the past masters in this market.

Rolex will continue to "manage" the supply as long as they see fit for the Ceramic Daytona. I very much doubt you'll to be able to freely buy one (i.e. out of an AD without being on order/in the window or very, very lucky) at list for another 24 months at least.

The premiums will, of course, go backwards but not disappear anytime soon.

What I meant was if I was considering trading a PP for a Daytona I would only value the Daytona at about list not its current value to Watchfinder et al. as I don't see that as market value really (unless I was going for a quick flip but in that case the original owner might as well convert it to cash and pay cash for the PP).

I don't disagree they will be hard to come by for a long while but I can see only a desperate few paying a large premium rather than joining a queue as they are still in production.

I would just cancel the order and instead donate the money to the fundraiser. Then you cancel your TZ-UK membership and everybody will be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by kaiserphoenix View Post
    Holding for 20 years will be a bad idea, doubt the ceramics will be anything collectible.

Having said that, if I were you, I would buy and then think what to do. YOu can always flog it someone else or a dealer and make a tidy profit. No downside to buying it.
    Don't need to become collectible.... A 96 Rolex is not collectible (in general), but the price on a NOS full-set is WAY higher today than when it was new...

Oh no, I thought I'd managed to stop wanting new watches but this has started me off again...

Master
    Blog Entries
    What I meant was if I was considering trading a PP for a Daytona I would only value the Daytona at about list not its current value to Watchfinder et al. as I don't see that as market value really (unless I was going for a quick flip but in that case the original owner might as well convert it to cash and pay cash for the PP).

I don't disagree they will be hard to come by for a long while but I can see only a desperate few paying a large premium rather than joining a queue as they are still in production.
    I'll play. This is an odd statement. Value is mkt value, so either accept it or dont consider it a trade. this is a very odd discussion guys, its not real... A person with a daytona will sell it, for 12k, and then look at at 5711 IF they wanted to. They would have 4.5-8k max to find. Where is the debate again?

If people think the daytona is a bubble then they would do well to look at the historical prices of 5711. What we have right now is a very large bubble. If, maybe, who knows..... Its discontinued that also doesnt mean ever growing prices either. Look at the 5980, its not above list nor will be anytime soon. That peice has appreciated mainly because it was trading at a large discount and now evened out. Apparently, before being discontinued the 5711 is a trading at a premium. Where to you think it will go? Higher? If a better version or range is released by pp these will be old news. Also dont forget these have been produced for 10 years or so. Thats a lot. I know a large pp dealer who have many of these, as do his mates, they are holding them so the used mkt is not normal right now. Once the news is out about the anni things may change and 5711s appear as per every year bar 2016.

Either way this is a very odd discussion. 5711s are awesome, as are daytonas. But mkt value is mkt value.
    Last edited by Kash; 17th June 2016 at 20:38.

Master
    Thanks Kash. I think I'll stick with my nautilus and hope that my 2017 Daytona comes through.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Andersbackstrom View Post
    Don't need to become collectible.... A 96 Rolex is not collectible (in general), but the price on a NOS full-set is WAY higher today than when it was new...

Is it ? Counting inflation, lets say a Sub was 2k in 96, and worth what, 4.5k today... ? Not a great investment. I dont see steel daytona prices doubling in the near future. Quite the opposite in fact, as there are many more being made these days, markets will saturate sooner or later.

Considering service costs, you have not beaten inflation.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

And a sub from '96 is likely worth more like £3.5k today

Master
    But a '96 NOS patrizzi?
    However I agree, unless you get very lucky, sticking a daisy in the safe for 20 years is a very bad idea.
    Wearing it for 20 years gets my vote.

May I ask, its worth putting yourself on the waiting list and then selling it on for a profit. If its that simple why don't people do that all the time in bulk? you could earn a fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    May I ask, its worth putting yourself on the waiting list and then selling it on for a profit. If its that simple why don't people do that all the time in bulk? you could earn a fortune.
    Because you can't do it in bulk, you'll have to wait a couple of years and potentially make a couple of grand.

Hardly retirement planning!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Because you can't do it in bulk, you'll have to wait a couple of years and potentially make a couple of grand.

Hardly retirement planning!
    Yeah I know that you won't make a killing, but lets say I contact each Rolex AD and ask to be put on their waiting list. 3/4 years down the line I get contacted saying I can have one then another tells me the same thing, now I may have 10 watches coming my way and sell them on with 2k profit.

good business :)

Quote Originally Posted by Kippax View Post
    Yeah I know that you won't make a killing, but lets say I contact each Rolex AD and ask to be put on their waiting list. 3/4 years down the line I get contacted saying I can have one then another tells me the same thing, now I may have 10 watches coming my way and sell them on with 2k profit.

good business :)
    If they're still making £2k over list by then!
    Then you can order the other dial colour and wait another 3/4 years before doing the same again!

It can be done but it's not risk free and hardly forth bothering.