closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A Rare Incoming

A Rare Incoming

Hi all, I saw this watch approximately a year ago at a watch GTG that we had near Bristol.

It was worn by a fellow member of this forum, KeithT.

Now as some of you may know, Keith is great at repairing rare early Quartz watches, such as Cal 35* and F300's.
    In fact, my lovely Favre Leuba that I have recently received came from Keith himself.

I have pestered him for this particular watch, pretty much since I saw it, but could never get the funds together or another watch would crop up first.

I recently sold a few watches that have allowed me to buy it and it is winging it's way to me as we speak and should be with me tomorrow, but in the mean time, here are a couple of pics (thanks Keith for the pics!)

This is the super rare Longines UltraQuartz;

Longines by mcridland, on Flickr

Crown on the back as not to obscure the sleek lines of the front;

Longines2 by mcridland, on Flickr

Here's a pic of the magnificent Cal. 6512 movment (proper Heath-Robinson style)

Longines3 by mcridland, on Flickr

Been informed it is still keeping time to under a second a day, which for a 45 year old watch, I'd say is acceptable!

Here is some great information from Silverhawk (thanks!)

http://electric-watches.co.uk/makers...-ultra-quartz/

And some more info from "Crazy Watches"

http://www.crazywatches.pl/longines-...artz-6512-1970

To say I am excited would be an understatement, I can't wait to get it!

Thanks for looking

Mark

I do find these vintage electronic watches cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That's some movement!

Journeyman
    This is the sort of stuff we like - very nice
    regards
    Terje

Master
    Outstanding and one of my old watches, I love these and there are hugely hugely underrated pieces!

That movement is rather pretty. Longines went to some effort! How does it sit on the wrist with the crown on the back?

Very nice Mark, and very stylish. I suppose these pre-dated the ultronics???
    D

Thanks all for the comments!

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Very nice Mark, and very stylish. I suppose these pre-dated the ultronics???
    D
    Yes this one was 1970 I believe, just after the Seiko Astron

Thanks

Mark

Master
    That is a lovely piece. Enjoy!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    That movement is rather pretty. Longines went to some effort! How does it sit on the wrist with the crown on the back?
    I wondered that too, you could assume it would sit awkwardly but I'm sure it doesn't

Shropshire, UK, by the grace of God. dougdarter@aol.com
    It's good to look at a piece of horological history. That movement, rather than looking old fashioned, actually looks futuristic, Back to the future stylee. Thanks for showing.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by demonloop View Post
    I wondered that too, you could assume it would sit awkwardly but I'm sure it doesn't
    They're a large watch with plenty of heft, but don't sit too awkwardly at all, even on the smaller of wrist. Here's mine on a 6.5 inch wrist.

It was a "grail" of mine for years. Finally found one(two actually) at "no way!" :o bargain price. KeithT also fettled my one.

Mine is second only to another Longines quartz(VHP) as the most accurate watch I own(half a second loss over 4 months accurate). I love it, but they IMH can be delicate/temperamental. I'm careful wearing it.

Nice catch though. :) They are not a common watch. They were very expensive when new and even came with a years insurance against any loss. And it's cybernetic*. Nuff said. And it's the only watch I've even encountered where you can actually feel it working on the wrist.

*works on a different principle to other quartz. It's more a tuning fork movement that times and drives the hands, but slaved to the master quartz circuit which checks for timing drift many times per second and takes up any accuracy slack in the tuning fork.

Banned
    What a spectacular work of art, beautiful, many thanks for sharing.

That is a super watch.

Craftsman
    I do find it remarkable the amount of effort gone into a quartz movement. Looks, dare I say it, rather attractive.

Supercool. Ive still got 4 quartz in my back up box, can't seem to let go.

More of an Omega man but that one is a beautiful piece of history. I almost picked one up from Crazywatches a few years ago but he got me worried when he explained how difficult it was to tune them...no one stop trimmer here apparently.

Looking forward to spilling a drink on that movement soon!

Craftsman
    That watch is crazy, in a cool way.
    I've just noticed 'electric' watches also, and recently got my first Accutron. (always thought I would only buy Auto's or hand-wind) It's funny how your tastes and sensibilities change. The wizardry involved in the making of some of these electric watches amazes me.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by webvan View Post
    More of an Omega man but that one is a beautiful piece of history. I almost picked one up from Crazywatches a few years ago but he got me worried when he explained how difficult it was to tune them...no one stop trimmer here apparently.
    Yeah, they're like the Bulova Accuquartz and use a set of screws that by removing or adding changes timing rates. The values are known for the Bulova, but AFAIK not for the Longines. Longines own records show that the only spare part for this watch was the entire movement.

Quote Originally Posted by jason.humphrey.180 View Post
    The wizardry involved in the making of some of these electric watches amazes me.
    Ditto. And I love the faith in the future feeling attached to them and the quality. Before the "free quartz with a box of cereal" times came in. The very early quartz and electronic stuff are often more handmade than mechanicals of the time and certainly of many today. Up until they figured out how to "print" the quartz crystals even the quartz was hand cut and tuned. Sharky's Longines circuit board was hand soldered using components from the hearing aid industry. On top we get to the tuning fork part and then the familiar mechanical parts. The movement, though an archaic curiosity today, was and remains an example of really top end watchmaking and engineering.