closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dornbluth recomendations required

Dornbluth recomendations required

I am currently in the process of discussing the purchase of a 99.0 from Dornbluth, as ever there are little modifications that can be made to the watch but one thing I am undecided on is printed or applied numerals on the dial. I know a few have changed hands on the forum over the years and was wondering what other peoples experience with their Dornbluth watch has been, how good is the printed dial, do printed or applied numerals go better with the hands on the 99.0 or 99.1?

Any advice/photos would be appreciated.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I prefer applied. The dials on these are beautiful.

Be warned though, they really do wear like a much larger watch.

I have owned 2 Dornbluths, one with applied indices and one with printed. To tell the truth, I think I am leaning very slightly towards the printed although not really much in it. I have seen some watches with the applied indices which have been blued to match the hands but I think they detract from the simple beauty of the watch. In fact, I saw one version which had silver applied indices and silver hands and it looked fantastic. I will try and find a picture.

I have a 99.1 and don't regret getting the applied appliques. It just seems to elevate the dial that little bit more.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I have owned 2 Dornbluths, one with applied indices and one with printed. To tell the truth, I think I am leaning very slightly towards the printed although not really much in it. I have seen some watches with the applied indices which have been blued to match the hands but I think they detract from the simple beauty of the watch. In fact, I saw one version which had silver applied indices and silver hands and it looked fantastic. I will try and find a picture.
    Thanks,

This is my concern really, will the applied numerals look different from the blued hands? I had thought about the rose gold or silver style numerals as another option so if you can find those photos that would be great.

Dave, I understand the 42mm case can appear big but I have worn a 42mm marine watch before ok and I just sold a watch with a 44mm case so I am used to wearing a larger style watch (Although I do admit, I prefer smaller case watches)

Here is a version with applied silver indices and hands

A guy on WUS ("DRHR") had a Quintus with silver numerals and blue hands. Here's one of his photos:

More of his pictures here

And here is mine with printed numerals and blued hands

Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    I prefer applied. The dials on these are beautiful.

Be warned though, they really do wear like a much larger watch.
    Blue applied and cream (?) is my favourite combination by far!

Craftsman
    I opted for printed dial after much soul (and google!) searching, and I haven't regretted it. The print quality is fantastic and when the light catches the gentle relief of the gloss numbers, the effect is very beautiful. For me, it also seems a little truer to the original concept of the watch.

Dornbluth recomendations required

I went for blue applied. It lifts the dial and watch for me. In the end, it is your watch and either printed or applied you will have a beautiful watch and a wonderful experience

Last edited by paw3001; 15th June 2016 at 22:36.

[QUOTE=tenpasten;3996774]I opted for printed dial after much soul (and google!) searching, and I haven't regretted it. The print quality is fantastic and when the light catches the gentle relief of the gloss numbers, the effect is very beautiful. For me, it also seems a little truer to the original concept of the watch.[QUOTE]

I agree. I've been wrestling with this choice for a loooong time now, and I think that for me although the applied blue numerals look beautiful in photographs, it may be too much blue for me in daily wear. Now then, 99.0 or 99.1...........
    F.T.F.A.

[QUOTE=magirus;3996777][QUOTE=tenpasten;3996774]I opted for printed dial after much soul (and google!) searching, and I haven't regretted it. The print quality is fantastic and when the light catches the gentle relief of the gloss numbers, the effect is very beautiful. For me, it also seems a little truer to the original concept of the watch.

I agree. I've been wrestling with this choice for a loooong time now, and I think that for me although the applied blue numerals look beautiful in photographs, it may be too much blue for me in daily wear. Now then, 99.0 or 99.1...........
    I am going for the 99.0. Unless anyone can tell me different I don't see a massive difference.

This thread is killing me thought, it's making me more undecided! End of the month the order should be placed.

Craftsman
    I went for the blue applied and am very happy with my choice. They seem to vary from an amazing bright blue to almost black depending on how the light catches them.

I'd love to see a poll of Dornbluth owners.

It seems to me that having one built is a rite of passage for some Watch enthusiasts, but then again I seem to see an awful lot moved on.

How many buy and keep them and how many buy them and then decide that it's not quite the 'grail' they imagined?

I admire the workmanship, but the designs don't really appeal to me.

M.

PS Blue applied, though, if you're asking

Master
    Definitely blue applied numerals. Even the wooden watch boxes for these are amazing, with a real aged aroma (no not urine) that can be used to display the watch in the box through an aperture. For me everything about Dornbluth oozes quality, the sound my 99.2 makes is like no other watch I have ever owned and I can sit watching the movement doing it's thing for ages.

Never seen one in the flesh. I love them but they are just too big for me. Blue applied would be my choice as well.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

My 99.3 has applied blue numerals with matching hands. I couldn't recommend that combo more. Beautiful in any light. ...but of course, they all are.

Dornbluth dials and cases. How do they compare to GS? Anybody owning both?

Applied for me
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post

How many buy and keep them and how many buy them and then decide that it's not quite the 'grail' they imagined?
    I'd have a guess it's because they wear so large. I'm not blessed with massive wrists but I can pull a slightly larger case off. This was another league however. It was like I was a ten year old borrowing my dad's watch.
    I know that the member I sold the watch to sold it on for the same reason.

Here it is on my 7.5 inch wrist:

And here is a 16600 as reference:

Just too damn big.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

Applied for me
    Lovely Andy. It was your pictures that made me buy one to be honest. Dornbluth should be paying you commission!

I'd have a guess it's because they wear so large. I'm not blessed with massive wrists but I can pull a slightly larger case off. This was another league however. It was like I was a ten year old borrowing my dad's watch.
    Just too damn big.

I see what you mean!

M

Craftsman
    As ever it's not just wrist size, it's wrist shape. I'm sporting a 6.75" wrist in this shot and it fits very comfortably...

[/QUOTE]

Here it is on my 7.5 inch wrist:

And here is a 16600 as reference:

Just too damn big.
    Is that a 42mm case? It certainly does look big but I do remember going with a friend while he purchased a Panerai (I think it was a 44mm case he was looking at) It looked huge on him and the lugs were over hanging on his wrist. I tried on the same watch and it looked fine to the point even the lady trying to sell him the watch said "It actually looks better on your friend" I didn't have a problem wearing either of the Precista Italian either or a Christopher Ward Jump Hour all 44mm watches.

I wonder, have you tried other marine watches for comparison? I just wonder is it just the Dornbluth that's too big or is it just the size/shape of marine watches in general.

Quote Originally Posted by tenpasten View Post
    As ever it's not just wrist size, it's wrist shape. I'm sporting a 6.75" wrist in this shot and it fits very comfortably...

[/QUOTE]

I think you just answered my question, that looks very good and a printed dial too.

I purchased a 99.0 from Kirk around 3 years ago, and I still enjoy it every time I wear it.
    After 12 years it runs well, the quality is undeniable - please pardon the insurance photo.

This piece has the printed dial, and is fitted with the grey Dornbleuth strap and deployant.

To my mind, the smaller seconds ring on the 99.0 is more elegant than that on the 99.1, but opinions vary.

I am traveling to Germany next month, and will be visiting the Kalbe workshop to leave my 99.0 with Dirk for a service.

Last edited by W124; 15th June 2016 at 18:13.

The last couple of weeks I've been looking at pretty much all marine watches available, and what stands out to me about the Dornblüth is the versions with applied numerals. Just look at Andy's pics above! For me the applique make the whole watch pop.

Lovely Andy. It was your pictures that made me buy one to be honest. Dornbluth should be paying you commission!
    Thanks. Dirk acknowledged the increase in UK orders following me getting mine. I certainly expect a great deal on services and any future purchases.

Mine on my 7.25" wrist

Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Craftsman
    I went for the printed dial but after it arrived I wished I had gone with applied numerals. By the way, Dirk is a pleasure to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most discussions on the more "basic" Dornbluths tend to come down to size and 99.0 vs 99.1. I've been mulling over these issues for more than a year now. To this end I bought an Archimede a year ago to see if I'd like the style and size in the long term.

Re size, my wrist is a smidge under 7" and I have no problem with this style of watch at 42mm. The Archimede does have 20mm lugs, compared to the 22mm of the Dornbluths and everything else I've looked at in this style, and while this may be a plus factor for a smaller wrist, I think that in practice a 22mm strap tapering to 20mm will be just as acceptable. I base this on long term wear of a Dreadnought Voyager on the supplied rubber strap.

Re 99.0 vs 99.1. After staring at these two dials a LOT I've come to the conclusion that the 99.0 dial is the better balanced of the two. Two reasons for this. The 15 and 45 seconds markers on the sub dial line up with the tops of the 5 and 7 numerals nicely, and there's a similar distance between the centre of the dial and the top of the sub dial, and the bottom of the script at the top of the dial.
    Last edited by magirus; 16th June 2016 at 07:41.
    F.T.F.A.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    Dornbluth dials and cases. How do they compare to GS? Anybody owning both?
    I own a Dornbluth 0.40 and a GS SBGV011. Both are exquisite. The GS has a more complex case in terms of detail, and the mirror finish polishing, but the Dornbluth is also faultless.

Mine has applied black numbers and blued hands, and its a delight. I would probably be happy with a printed dial though too, as the printing on the sub dial is super crisp. I don't think you would be unhappy either way.

They are big though. Discounted a 99.1 as have 6.5" wrists and anything bigger than a Speedmaster looks too big. My Tudor Snowflake is probably the optimal size. The Dornbluth wears large too, as it's all dial.

The 0.40 is smaller, and still large, but I love it so much it isn't going anywhere.

Thanks. I am familiar with the SBGV011, so comparison was very helpful. Cheers.

Sorry about the thread revival!

It was just to say I have finally put my order in for a Dornbluth 99.0 non applied numerals (wanted it closer to the traditional look) So far the experience has been an absolute pleasure, every question answered within a day or two, questions about engraving, what strap I wanted, how I wanted the watch to look etc. Really nice old school experience. Now comes the long wait for the build but so far if anyone is sitting on the fence I wouldn't hesitate!

Quote Originally Posted by robert75 View Post
    Sorry about the thread revival!

It was just to say I have finally put my order in for a Dornbluth 99.0 non applied numerals (wanted it closer to the traditional look) So far the experience has been an absolute pleasure, every question answered within a day or two, questions about engraving, what strap I wanted, how I wanted the watch to look etc. Really nice old school experience. Now comes the long wait for the build but so far if anyone is sitting on the fence I wouldn't hesitate!

Good to see you finally ordered! What's the lead time now, if I may ask?
    F.T.F.A.

Quote Originally Posted by magirus View Post
    Good to see you finally ordered! What's the lead time now, if I may ask?
    I will have to get back to you on that one and check the volume of e-mails to find my order form. To be honest I just expected around late next year.

I think I remember seeing they may go up early new year and as the pound has got a bit better this is probably the time to buy.