closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: My Dad's mystery Rolex: can anyone help identify?

Journeyman

My Dad's mystery Rolex: can anyone help identify?

Hello friends. My father has owned this Rolex since around 1998 and the serial number suggests a build date of 1992. Beyond that we know very little about it. Can anyone shed light on what it is? We would also be keen to get a ballpark value, although just to be clear it is not for sale right now (should he decide to get rid of it I'll definitely be thinking about first-refusal rights if my pockets go deep enough!).

Anyway, here it is (and thanks in advance):

looks just like a datejust- but without the date
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

What's the case width? 34mm?

If the strap has been off to check the Serial number did you not check the model number?

Closest I've managed so far is this:

Roman numerals
    Solid markers
    Coin bezel
    COSC
    Oyster bracelet

Rolex 1005, I think.

http://www.chrono24.co.uk/rolex/oyst...-id4505430.htm

First one I came to on Chrono24.
    ______

​Jim.

Master
    Everyone try googling "Rolex 67518"......

Haywood

Craftsman
    I'll agree that it's a 67518. Pretty rare watch

in my defence, I was looking for a 34mm watch, not one listed variously as 29 or 31mm...
    ______

​Jim.

Watchfinder will give you a quote.

Journeyman
    Thanks everyone for the rapid responses. It is indeed a 34mm (can't believe I missed that little bit of info off). I'm chasing the 67518 Google channels, super helpful. :)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Paul had originally text me this request over. He is a friend 'off the forum', (a strange notion I know).
    I didn't want to tell him at the time but my first reaction was its snide! I didn't even know Rolex made a gold rivet bracelet. However, I feel better knowing it's rare!

I suggested he post it on here as there are obviously some knowledgable chaps in all things vintage Rolex. A fact backed up by having it identified quickly and correctly.

I'd put a value of around £5K. I'd kind of gone with a DayDate less a bit but if I'm honest, I've no idea.
    I told Paul to tell his old man it was fake and worth tuppence but he's insisted on being fair. He'll learn ;)

rolex even made flex bracelets...

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave O'Sullivan View Post
    Paul had originally text me this request over. He is a friend 'off the forum', (a strange notion I know).
    I didn't want to tell him at the time but my first reaction was its snide! I didn't even know Rolex made a gold rivet bracelet. However, I feel better knowing it's rare!

I suggested he post it on here as there are obviously some knowledgable chaps in all things vintage Rolex. A fact backed up by having it identified quickly and correctly.

I'd put a value of around £5K. I'd kind of gone with a DayDate less a bit but if I'm honest, I've no idea.
    I told Paul to tell his old man it was fake and worth tuppence but he's insisted on being fair. He'll learn ;)
    The bracelets on these fail very quickly. That insurmountable problem, combined with the fact that it is a non-date with what many consider a slightly dated dial, leads me to suggest that your £5k valuation may be a little high. Sorry to speak so "commercially" but the OP has asked for market comments.

What was my prize for identifying the model reference correctly ?

H

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Everyone try googling "Rolex 67518"......
    Quote Originally Posted by jwg663 View Post
    in my defence, I was looking for a 34mm watch, not one listed variously as 29 or 31mm...
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrgn View Post
    It is indeed a 34mm
    So if its 34mm.....and the 67518 is 29mm....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    So if its 34mm.....and the 67518 is 29mm....
    Red rag....bull !

I myself didn't give those measurements.

You have a Rolex UK price list from February 1993, right? Oh well, never mind, here's the relevant entry :

So there it is definitively, the 67518 has a c.31mm case. This will exclude the crown, so it depends how the OP measured it.

OP, would you care to remove the bracelet at the 12 o'clock end and confirm the five digit model reference, please? That will conclude the games!

Bracelet ref 7205 ?

Haywood
    Last edited by Haywood_Milton; 14th June 2016 at 14:59.

I can see head only - in excellent condition (according to seller) sold for under $3k

So this one with bracelet maybe nearer GBP 3k than 5k

(Listed as 31mm)

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkO View Post
    I can see head only - in excellent condition (according to seller) sold for under $3k....
    Head only . . . because the rivet bracelet fell apart, was melted down and is now part of the panel coating on some teenager's Lamborghini in Dubai.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Haywood_Milton View Post
    Head only . . . because the rivet bracelet fell apart, was melted down and is now part of the panel coating on some teenager's Lamborghini in Dubai.
    Would that mean the bracelet is worth a few quid on it's own or simply future scrap?

Journeyman
    A small update: chatted to Dad again and he's confirmed it is 31mm after all, so we're there I think – mystery solved. Thanks again for all helpful advice, appreciated.

Journeyman
    Slight thread resurrection as I managed to take some proper pictures of Dad's old Oyster Perpetual this weekend, which has sat in a drawer since I last posted about it. Turns out some of the details I had provided before were not perfectly accurate – and he's now more pro-actively minded to sell it.

So I wonder if I could again pick a brain or two so he knows where to start on a fair price for it. I understand these smaller cases in yellow gold are possibly not the most sought after combinations but I'd hate to see him short-changed at a dealer (he wants to chop it on for something else).

Anyway, new pics below. The strap is (as Haywood correctly suggested) a 7205 rivet version (with a little stretch) and is stamped 18K. I've re-measured the case at 30mm excluding the crown (this is by eye with a tape measure so it could be a 29, hard to say). I've included a shot next to my 14270 Explorer for reference.

Also the case back retains a green sticker which I thought best not to remove, but I can make out a crown motif and 67518. There is no box or papers but it's in pretty good shape, with only light scratches that will polish out I'd imagine.

There are a couple of 67518s on Chrono24 that seem to date from late ’80s/early ’90s, but they are 31mm cases and seem to be quite strong money – and I'm also confused as to whether this is a mid-size or ladies watch.

I hope this request falls within the forum rules but can anyone share an opinion? I might even consider buying it off him, although 30mm is small even for my little wrists.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by paulrgn; 19th February 2017 at 16:32.

Master
    I would say it's defiantly in woman's size territory these days

Master
    Received your pm.....

I'd stop flapping about measuring the case to try to measure it exactly as Rolex do. All that is relevant is that it's a 67518 as I suggested long ago. This was always considered a mid-size model. It is current trends alone that will make more people consider this to be a lady's size; more gentlemen that ladies would wear this happily.

It does look to be in good order currently, but wear it for a few years and that bracelet will inevitably weaken and show it. The point at which it becomes unsafe and fit only for the melting pot will depend on how it is worn.

For your potential, private friend-to-friend sale a figure of perhaps £3,500-£4,000 might be good for both in my view, but there is never a "right" answer and others may think differently. While it is rare, that is not necessarily a good thing and does not add value in this instance. At least from this thread both you and the owner are aware of the bracelet issues, too.

KRs,

Haywood