closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Patek ??

Craftsman

Which Patek ??

hello all.
    i have not posted for a very long time but am on TZ most days .
    usually I am messaging ( annoying ) some of the very helpful and knowledgable members that are on this great forum and have bought and sold a few pieces .
    this time I thought I would post my question, and I hope you do not mind .
    I am in a very fortunate position where I am looking to buy my first Patek !!
    Would love to know from you which one you would choose to buy between the 5711 and 5712 ,both steel versions .
    my current collection is all Rolex with the BLNR , Hulk and Deepsea Blue .
    I am putting a deposit down for one or the other on Monday so any opinions will be very helpful .
    my decision keeps changing ?!!
    anyway thank you all in advance .
    lee

Craftsman
    If I was going for my first Patek I'd try and stretch to one with a complication, so the 5712 would be my option.
    There's something about the idiosyncratic dial arrangement that really tickles me.

Master
    I'm bias but I say 5711. Great collection already BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    Depends how quick you want one , 5711 is around 2 year wait now. 5712 is available almost straight away

Out of those two the 5711.
    When you get your next Patek, then get a complication

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    5711 every time

The Nautilus design doesn't really lend itself to complications in my view.

Master
    I bought a 5711 and was over the moon with it. I gave my dad it as a present so am now thinking what Nautilus to get for myself again. As much as I love the 5711 it feels like it doesn't make sense to have two of the same watch in the family so I may be leaning toward the 5712. But for your one and only 5711 and pocket the £5k difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by numberjack View Post
    5712 is available almost straight away
    Where? That's not what I've been told at all...

Blog Entries
    Hamilton inches in Edinburgh offered me one on friday

For me I am waiting for both 5711 and 5167. Personally I don't like cluttered dials, so it was an easy choice. I feel they are both different enough to have both. Well that's why I m telling myself

Master
    5711 for me

Craftsman
    Depends how quick you want one , 5711 is around 2 year wait now. 5712 is available almost straight away

Appreciate your our comment about waiting times.
    i can get 5712 in a couple of Months or 5711 early next year , so not to bad .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cmcm3 View Post
    I bought a 5711 and was over the moon with it. I gave my dad it as a present so am now thinking what Nautilus to get for myself again. As much as I love the 5711 it feels like it doesn't make sense to have two of the same watch in the family so I may be leaning toward the 5712. But for your one and only 5711 and pocket the £5k difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Where? That's not what I've been told at all...
    They appear much more freely available than the 5711.
    My local AD had one in stock just a couple of weeks ago, where as is common knowledge, around two year wait is quoted for a 5711.

5711 - the more you can see of that stunning dial the better - the subdials spoil it.
    Last edited by E_2_Right-Force; 11th June 2016 at 19:17.

Craftsman
    I love both. Initially I was very attracted to the sterile dial of the 5711. But the more I see the 5712 the more I like it. The you tube videos on both show the amazing blue dial, the darker 5712 and the dynamic subdials on the 5712.

It would be interesting to know those who have had the 5711 and then flipped for the 5712 and vice versa, and the reasons for this. It's a classic tough decision.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    I have the 5711 and love it. I also want the 5712 but I wouldn't flip for it, I'm greedy I want both!

Initially I wanted a 5711, but a 5712 came up and so I bought that. Liked it very much but it was always in the back of my mind that it was second choice and so I sold it and later bought a 5711. To be totally honest, I was a bit underwhelmed by the reality ( a very simple expensive steel watch) and so that went too. Realised that the 5712 was the more desirable for me, and so bought a 3712 (because I clearly have more money than sense) and am very happy with it. In the end it's down to personal taste of course, but to me the 5712/3712 have so much more character than the 5711. The reality is that you can't really go wrong though.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    and so bought a 3712 (because I clearly have more money than sense)
    Haha, they do herald quite a hefty premium compared to the 5712 although only made for a year so there won't be many around

Master
    Out of the two, after a quick google I'd go with the 5711. I think the 5712 looks hideous.

Craftsman
    Any patek

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jl smout View Post
    Out of the two, after a quick google I'd go with the 5711. I think the 5712 looks hideous.
    Check the 5712 pictures over the next few weeks and see if your opinion changes. The 5712 is certainly visually very arresting. The more I have seen it the more it's grown on me...

Quote Originally Posted by jeepie View Post
    Check the 5712 pictures over the next few weeks and see if your opinion changes. The 5712 is certainly visually very arresting. The more I have seen it the more it's grown on me...

Totally agree.

⛵️

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    5711 every time

I'd second that.

The only Nautilus complication to get is the chrono. I don't get the 5712 at all. Bizarre design and I do sometimes wonder if it were another manufacturer whether we'd be so complimentary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinch View Post
    Haha, they do herald quite a hefty premium compared to the 5712 although only made for a year so there won't be many around
    No, not that many...a few hundred at most I think. I can't say it's better or worse but the difference is apparent when you see the two together. Not from more than about 4 feet though!

Master
    Can't stand the look of the 5712, it's an abomination. If you want a Nautilus with complications, and as much as I despise the useless, oversized 24 hour sub-dial, I'd have to suggest the 5726.
    Unfortunately, no blue dial option (yet) but the grey is hardly an eyesore.
    Last edited by PJ S; 15th June 2016 at 12:57.

No, not that many...a few hundred at most I think. I can't say it's better or worse but the difference is apparent when you see the two together. Not from more than about 4 feet though!
    There's an interesting comparison of the two here:

http://www.watchprosite.com/?page=wf...418&pi=5247818

Wouldn't it be nice if you could go to a AD and try both on so you know which is for you.

I wonder what the odds are on actually being able to do that in the UK

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    The only Nautilus complication to get is the chrono. I don't get the 5712 at all. Bizarre design and I do sometimes wonder if it were another manufacturer whether we'd be so complimentary.
    It is a strange design but nothing new:

This is a picture of a Patek 5054 that I nabbed from HQ Milton, (thank you).

What I do find strange is that for a Nautilus which is meant to be a sports/ casual model they chose to have a moonphase and power reserve, complications that you wouldn't normally associate with a sports model. As said above a chronograph function makes much more sense for a Nautilus model.
    On paper the 5712 doesn't work for me and when I used to look at the dial it just seemed a mess and I really didn't like the 'PATEK PHILIPPE' just shoved to the right in the empty space that was left over. Then suddenly it just clicked for me, I love the small seconds and the lack of a large second hand, I also like the fact that there is no date window so no interruption of the blue. Finally as much as a moonphase doesn't make sense it does look superb in blue and finally my favourite bit are the little touches of red on the power reserve and date.
    Overall the 5712 doesn't make any sense to me and I would never swap my blue 5711 for it but I would still love to add a 5712 to the collection.

Initially I wanted a 5711, but a 5712 came up and so I bought that. Liked it very much but it was always in the back of my mind that it was second choice and so I sold it and later bought a 5711. To be totally honest, I was a bit underwhelmed by the reality ( a very simple expensive steel watch) and so that went too. Realised that the 5712 was the more desirable for me, and so bought a 3712 (because I clearly have more money than sense) and am very happy with it. In the end it's down to personal taste of course, but to me the 5712/3712 have so much more character than the 5711. The reality is that you can't really go wrong though.
    Hi - is the dial as blue on the 3712 as the 5712? I reckon they are A safe place to stash some money.

Cheers

Sorry Cinch - that looks terrible too. FP Journe do the whole offset so much better

Craftsman
    Personally I don't understand the appeal of the 5712, unbalanced clustered dial and pointless complication and more difficult to read date. I think it's true that some want it because it's the cheapest complicated Nautilus. So it's "better" than having "just" a 5711.

But I've always preferred the simpler more true to the original watches like the 5711 and 15202 than any of the more complicated ones. Aesthetically complications take away from these two classic sports watches without providing any added usefulness.
    Last edited by CVByrne; 12th June 2016 at 14:42.

Quote Originally Posted by joethetoe View Post
    Hi - is the dial as blue on the 3712 as the 5712? I reckon they are A safe place to stash some money.

Cheers
    It's a slightly different shade but only noticeable if you see the two together. And all Nautilus look different in different light. Here's an idea as what it looks like...As others have said, hideous!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Sorry Cinch - that looks terrible too. FP Journe do the whole offset so much better
    You're right, I'm not a fan of the 5450 either.

From personal experience I would go with the 5711A.
    Though, I have warmed to the 5712 over past few months.

Master
    Blog Entries
    5711 is around 2 year wait now. 5712 is available almost straight away
    I much prefer the 5712 - is this accurate about the general availability in the UK nowadays? e.g. almost no wait

The 5711 1A is always the safe bet being closest to the original and classic.

I was lucky to have bought mine when the Nautilus wasn't that sought after as both were available in the AD.

I got the 5711 1A because it was the closest to the original, the blue pops out bec of the clean dial and lastly (at that time) the price difference was almost a SS Daytona.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kultschar View Post
    I much prefer the 5712 - is this accurate about the general availability in the UK nowadays? e.g. almost no wait
    Can only go by my own experience but yes , I was offered one with no wait or mention of lists.
    The 5711 on the other hand I was told had a 2 year wait with £3250 deposit to be paid .

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post
    Personally I don't understand the appeal of the 5712, unbalanced clustered dial and pointless complication and more difficult to read date. I think it's true that some want it because it's the cheapest complicated Nautilus. So it's "better" than having "just" a 5711.

But I've always preferred the simpler more true to the original watches like the 5711 and 15202 than any of the more complicated ones. Aesthetically complications take away from these two classic sports watches without providing any added usefulness.
    It is balanced. You need to see the watch from 7 o clock angle and you will see it is balanced.

This is a tough one, I have had both. Currently have a 5711 but I have to be honest, it feels OVER HYPED. IF it was not as sought after and all that, im not 100% sure I would like it as much, as in this appeal of apparent "rarity" contributes to its appeal.

The 5712 is somewhat easier to find and 2nd hand prices reflect that is lower than MSRP by some margin. 5711 even for a used, you will pay probably MSRP or higher.

Craftsman
    The 5712 looks rather ugly and cluttered to me , but because it's a Patek many people will overlook this .The 5711 looks great , clean simple lines .The price is high for a simple sports watch and the 2 year waiting list seems excessive .

I agree with this gentleman, however go with your gut.
    Here's an idea, put your name down for both, then make your mind up when you see the first one in the metal.
    Undoubtedly it will be the 5712.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh B View Post
    5711 every time

A three grand deposit?
    Was that Laings in Glasgow?

Can only go by my own experience but yes , I was offered one with no wait or mention of lists.
    The 5711 on the other hand I was told had a 2 year wait with £3250 deposit to be paid .

Quote Originally Posted by CVByrne View Post

I'm biased as an owner of a 5712. When I bought it the AD had a 5711. For me, buying my first and probably only PP, I did want a complication. The 5711 was just to simple for me.

What you say about the 5712 being the "cheapest" complicated Nautilus is partly true, and I did particularly like the 5980 - which was totally out of the question for me for financial reasons. However the 5980 is in no way elegant, it is pretty chunky and thick, and part of the beauty of a Nautilus is it being an elegant sports watch, and the 5712 is lovely and slim.

Whichever you choose you will end up with a great watch, and I am looking forward to see what PP will do for the 40th anniversary this autumn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by watchlovr View Post
    A three grand deposit?
    Was that Laings in Glasgow?
    Hamilton & Inches. I didn't try Laings, I don't like them.

Ok East cost then.
    I agree about Laings.

Hamilton & Inches. I didn't try Laings, I don't like them.

A 5980 popped up on my instagram feed (watchxchange are listing one) and it reminded me that I'm surprised its name doesn't get mentioned more often in these discussions. The Patek style of chrono is attractive in itself, and suits the case/dial

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    A 5980 popped up on my instagram feed (watchxchange are listing one) and it reminded me that I'm surprised its name doesn't get mentioned more often in these discussions. The Patek style of chrono is attractive in itself, and suits the case/dial

Personally I think the bezel is way to thick. Proportions are all wrong, especially on the steel model. The Two-tone works better. I think they will redesign in the future.

Master
    Imo 5711 is the nautilus. Had one for a while, but my dad loved it, so gave it to him.
    The 5780 is a great looking chrono, but felt really 'big' on the wrist, I think the design doesn't lend itself to the chunkier size.

As for complications, I prefer this one

A bargain at a mere £138,000 second hand
    Last edited by nunya; 17th June 2016 at 18:39.

Craftsman
    Lovely the King of the modern day perpetual calendar chronograph

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post
    Proportions are all wrong, especially on the steel model.
    WHAT?!!!!!!!

Craftsman
    If we are just posting our favourite pateks, I like the 5170g black dial. https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/wi...ith-black-dial I really like the asymmetric dial of the 5712 if I was picking a nautilus...