closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seadweller Deep Sea Deep Blue or Standard?

Master
    Blog Entries

Seadweller Deep Sea Deep Blue or Standard?

I've got the chance of buying a Rolex Seadweller Deep Sea Deep Blue from my AD.

I went to a different AD today & tried on the Black faced Deep Sea for size, just to make sure it doesn't look too big on my wrist.

It doesn't.

Problem is I really liked the black dial in the flesh and am now torn between the two. BTW, finances can't stretch to both ;-)

Master
    D-Blue is a special edition and carries a premium because of that. But in essence it is the same watch.
    As to which one you should buy, I can't answer that as it's your choice and money
    If it was me and I was not fussed about the SpEd factor and prefered the black, i'd buy that one and save a few quid into the bargain

I have been thinking about this myself (though events have overtaken me, and something else has claimed for the funds now I'm afraid) - however, I found it very difficult to come to a decision. The Deep Blue feels more exclusive, is available in smaller numbers, and you are perhaps less likely to see one in the wild which appeals to the collector in me. However, I feel the 'standard' (if you can ever call such beast standard!) has the more classical Rolex diver look, harking back to the lineage of the Sub and SeaDweller, and will I think therefore stand the test of time in terms of being a 'classic' better than the Deep Blue ..... so, if it were me I would let my aesthetic heart rule my collector/future value head and buy the 'standard' B&W version ..... but then again .....

Craftsman
    As other have said, it's your choice but if it was me I would get the blue one (one of my friends has it and it looks fab)

One thought though is you maybe able to get a discount on the black, as nearly every dealer has then in stock? Just a thought and no evidence to support this at all 😁😁

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    One thought though is you maybe able to get a discount on the black, as nearly every dealer has then in stock? Just a thought and no evidence to support this at all 
    I agree with this, most Grey's and second hand dealers have plenty of stock of the standard black version and most are probably unworn. Certainly do not pay RRP at a AD.

Personally, I prefer the blue version. Does it have to be the DSSD, what about the SDc - a lot of people on here regard it as the perfect watch.

A couple of weeks ago an AD in Manchester rang and offered me a DeepBlue, I went and tried it and as nice as it was preferred my current standard DSSD. The dial layout was a bit bottom heavy, not helped by the graduated dial too.

I'm sticking with the Black ;-)

I have the black and love it. I had the chance to buy the blue a few months back and in the end decided it wasn't worth the few thousand to change. Now if money was no object then of course get it just to be that bit more exclusive.

Let's keep it in perspective though, I've only ever clocked one other Deepsea out there so they're not exactly common are they. We sometimes forget that by hanging around in here.

Master
    I tried both and chose the D-blue.
    The black version felt extremely boring after trying the D-blue.

Master
    Nice problem to have :)

I'd go with black if it's a daily wearer or blue if worn less often.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxer7 View Post
    Nice problem to have :)

I'd go with black if it's a daily wearer or blue if worn less often.
    +1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the blue version personally, but like others have said the black is more subtle and maybe 'classic' looking.

Journeyman
    The Deep Sea D-Dial (blue) is my grail watch . i adore it so id have to go for that every time

I have the black DSSD and love it.

The green text on the D-Blue is a bit much for me on a watch that is a 'quite noticeable' due to its size anyway. The rarity factor of the DB would clearly win over the Black though, whether that is worth it to you or not is clearly not for us to decide.

Nice choice to have though!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Well I've pulled the trigger on the Deep Blue & I can have it next week..with the proviso that if I hate it they'll order me a Black-faced Deep Sea

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Well I've pulled the trigger on the Deep Blue & I can have it next week..with the proviso that if I hate it they'll order me a Black-faced Deep Sea
    Well done. If you hate it you might want to sell it here. Some of us, not me ;-), might buy it off you at retail, with the added bonus that you would go up in your AD's VIP list having just bought 2 watches in rapid succession.

It's purely a financial decision; the black one is available pre-owned at around £5200 or so, the blue is list at best (£8250). Buying the black one at list would be utterly absurd, at £5k it's a bargain though.

However I have owned both... The blue one is special. Very special.

I would go blue. It will feel special as you will know it's rare and more sort after. A bit like having a limited edition watch, except it's not.

Journeyman
    Seadweller would be my choice

as you have made your (correct) choice I won't go on about the stunning dial which most people only see in unnatural AD showroom light . When you have it on your wrist in sunlight you will really see what all the fuss is about regarding this amazing piece from Rolex,the colour is such an amazing blue it really stuns ,had ,y Deep Blu now for 6 months and every time I wear it in I am so glad I choose blu over black!

Journeyman
    damn . im so jealous really so damn jealous ! haha
    wear it well i have no doubt you will love it :-)

The blue is awesome in my books - but then again a friend had the same choice and he chose black. Couldn't stand the blue. Go figure!

Craftsman
    Peachy, photos of course needed when it arrives. I think you won't swap 👍

This is the only blue dial I like. Most look awful. Not a single one comes to mind I'd buy.

But.

This is stunning, so I would if I could go blue.

right choice, enjoy it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DB9yeti View Post
    It's purely a financial decision; the black one is available pre-owned at around £5200 or so, the blue is list at best (£8250). Buying the black one at list would be utterly absurd, at £5k it's a bargain though.

However I have owned both... The blue one is special. Very special.
    Spot on in every respect

Craftsman
    Go with the Blue

- - - Updated - - -

Go with the Blue

If you can get one go for blueeeeeee

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had the blue and would say go for the blue its a special watch as is the dial colour

The black is common -the blue is definitely the one to go for......

I've owned both and much prefer the Blue edition myself, the dial is beautiful but for anyone who prefers the regular Black dial version that's a bonus for them as they are great value pre-owned IMHO as they can usually be picked up for about the same money as a regular pre-owned SD ceramic.

Got a mate about to get a new Deep Blue this week that he's decided he doesn't want it I think.....PM me if it's something you'd like and I'll put you in touch with each other.

Craftsman
    Was fortunate to try a blue on, the face is gorgeous, you gotta go for the blue overtime IMHO.

Craftsman

'Nuff said.

Regards,
    Adam

- - - Updated - - -

'Nuff said.

Regards,
    Adam

The blue is a special and good choice! you can always "redicide", should be easy to flip

Master
    Had the standard from new and didnt get on with it, ended up selling it on for a fairly big loss. For some reason I really want the blue one, really not sure it will be much different from the standard but in my head that doesnt seem to matter..............

So it looks like the blue edition has managed to revive interest in the much-derided 'every grey dealer has a drawer full' Deep-sea. Ain't marketing wonderful 😁
    I remember endless posts about tapering bracelets and ring locks when these were £3850 I believe (for the initial standard model) and now how much is this new version with green writing and a 2-tone dial??!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the comments. I picked this up from my AD today & really like it. Photos don't do it justice, it looks better in the flesh.

Congrats!

congrats and enjoy!

Craftsman
    Massive congrats - you really have to see on the wrist to appreciate the gradation!

Very nice indeed. Enjoy.

Craftsman
    Great choice. Congratulations

Congratulations. Gorgeous watch.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    So it looks like the blue edition has managed to revive interest in the much-derided 'every grey dealer has a drawer full' Deep-sea. Ain't marketing wonderful 
    I remember endless posts about tapering bracelets and ring locks when these were £3850 I believe (for the initial standard model) and now how much is this new version with green writing and a 2-tone dial??!!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Dunno about the UK, but here in the Colonies they're $12,350, which is $300 more than the D-Black. Of course, the story on the secondary market is a lot different, with D-Blue's still going for list price (sometimes a bit over, sometimes a bit under).

Regards,
    Adam

That looks really great on the wrist - congratulations ......

Craftsman
    Great choice !

Excellent choice, it certainly ticks all the boxes for me......

How easy is it to get hold of the Deep Blue?

As with all Rolex, availability seems a bit hit-and-miss...one dealer said they had a 30 customer wait while another said they'd had one in the window last week.

Anyone know of any AD's with it in stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian View Post
    How easy is it to get hold of the Deep Blue?

As with all Rolex, availability seems a bit hit-and-miss...one dealer said they had a 30 customer wait while another said they'd had one in the window last week.

Anyone know of any AD's with it in stock?
    I think you have hit the nail on the head, different experiences in different ADs. Some seem to suggest that if you place an order and put a deposit down they will get you one in 12 weeks or so.

They are around and the occasional one does appear in a ADs window. Certainly no need to panic buy from the grey's who are currently asking close to £10k these days.

Craftsman
    Deepsea all day long.