closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Planet Ocean boxes

Apprentice

Planet Ocean boxes

I've been looking at a new (or nearly new) Omega PO 42mm and noticed sales photos show 2 different types of boxes. Most are red leather which look a bit on the cheap side but there are some wooden ones look a lot more impressive. Why is this? Did Omega update the packaging at some point, say 2015?
    Obviously the box is not that important, but Id rather have the wooden one lying around!

Master
    The large wooden boxes are now standard and have replaced the red ones. They are very nice.

Master
    About time, mine came with the red standard boxes. Yes we all know it's only a box, but still nice to be able to put a decent box away in the cupboard to gather dust! :D

Blog Entries
    Must just be me - I quite like the red box

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BSB View Post
    Must just be me - I quite like the red box
    Agreed a decent box, just nice to have a change- No doubt after a few years we'll be saying I wish they'd supply them in the nice retro/vintage red boxes :D

Master
    They cost a lot more to post that's for sure!

Journeyman
    any pictures of the new box vs the old one ?

Master
    I wish companies would just make the box smaller, its just so unecessary. If they are gonna make it that big, why not make it more suitable for storing other stuff too like straps or tools.

Sometimes I've seen POs from 2012/2013 etc coming with the wooden boxes normally reserved for the 18K models and the Speedmaster Moonphase

Craftsman
    What I hated about the red boxes was the card holder: it invariably left red crud on the AD card after some time

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    The large wooden boxes are now standard and have replaced the red ones. They are very nice.
    They're not nice, they're like bloody coffins..........why do watches have to be sold in such ornate oversized boxes? I guess it's to add more sense of occasion to the purchase (or some similar marketing bollocks) but it just seems crazy to me. Much prefer the smaller boxes used in the past, they're easier to store away as they take up less space.

Paul

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by walkerwek1958 View Post
    They're not nice, they're like bloody coffins..........why do watches have to be sold in such ornate oversized boxes? I guess it's to add more sense of occasion to the purchase (or some similar marketing bollocks) but it just seems crazy to me. Much prefer the smaller boxes used in the past, they're easier to store away as they take up less space.

Paul
    I'm with you on that one, Panerai box is twice the size of my Rolex box, is it twice the watch? Of course not.
    The Patek one you could use as a humidor!!

Master

Paul
    I didn't say they aren't a pain in the a*** to store But as an object they are much nicer than the red boxes that they were using.

Master

Paul
    Don't order the new Omega X33 as i went to look at one and the box was massive...no way i could have slipped that one in the house without the wifey knowing.

Apprentice
    Good to see even the subject of boxes gets plenty of debate on here, clearly EVERYTHING is subjective. Thanks for all the feedback guys. Although I have to admit that before I'd read any I happened to find myself in local AD for a browse..... finally took the plunge on a planet ocean and delighted with it 👍