closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: More selling advice please, motorcycle thread

More selling advice please, motorcycle thread

I sold my motorcycle and sent some pictures through, with the bike being as it was. After I bought it I removed some bits, mainly because they did not work for commuting, which I did explain to the purchaser.

I took pictures of what I was selling, which did not reflect the original ad (I was a bit lazy with the editing) and sold the bike, as seen etc.

Now the purchaser has come back saying where are the bits, which I did clearly communicate they were not there, 2 bits I mentioned at the point of purchase before he signed the receipt etc and said it was all fine.

I don't have the bits so cant even give them to him if asked for, so what do I do now.

cheers for any advice

Tell him to do one!

You've got the money which he presumably paid you when he took the bike away.

I am getting quite a few text messages of misrepresentation etc, which is really unsettling me.

I did send pictures of the bike etc, and now he appears to be greatly unhappy.

I do have the money and would rather both of us were happy with the deal, and he obviously was last night but isn't so sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post
    I sold my motorcycle and sent some pictures through, with the bike being as it was. After I bought it I removed some bits, mainly because they did not work for commuting, which I did explain to the purchaser.
    I'm having trouble understanding what you're saying ? Did you use pictures to sell bike with the extra parts that were on it when you bought it that you'd since removed ?

Quote Originally Posted by samswatch View Post

I took pictures of what I was selling, which did not reflect the original ad (I was a bit lazy with the editing) and sold the bike, as seen etc.

Now the purchaser has come back saying where are the bits, which I did clearly communicate they were not there, 2 bits I mentioned at the point of purchase before he signed the receipt etc and said it was all fine.
    I wonder how clear you were to the buyer when you've already mentioned the pictures did not reflect what you were selling and were lazy with the editing and then stated you communicated clearly with the seller ?.

Seems like you thought you'd got away with it but now the seller has realised he hasn't bought what he though he had. :D

Consider yourself lucky. To be honest i'd have walked the moment the bike didn't match the pictures or description. As is always stated on this forum when buying a watch, "buy the seller" :D

No I mentioned all the stuff to him and sent him the pictures. I went through things twice in paper and person. I was also happy to refund his deposit if he was unhappy all this was said.

You are right I was lazy with the editing and in hindsight that should have been more clearer, but I did mention things twice to make sure.

I don't want to give you a hard time, but if your ad' was as easy to decipher as your post, it might be that the fault for not communicating the deal effectively lay with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jdh1 View Post
    I don't want to give you a hard time, but if your ad' was as easy to decipher as your post, it might be that the fault for not communicating the deal effectively lay with you.
    I think I have to accept that I should have been even more explicit, you are right I should not have been lazy, lesson for the future.

I was entirely happy to cancel the deal if he was unhappy which is why I took pictures of everything and mailed them to him, but being more explicit would have helped. Bad karma on my part.

I think he is just trying it on to get some money back, he must have come to pick up the bike and if you mentioned it to him in writing what he was getting and he could see that the bits were not on the bike I do not see how he can complain.

Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I think he is just trying it on to get some money back, he must have come to pick up the bike and if you mentioned it to him in writing what he was getting and he could see that the bits were not on the bike I do not see how he can complain.
    He did pick up the bike and I pointed out all the bits to him, however I was not explicit in writing only verbally. Also before he came and took about 5 pics all over the bike so he could see what he was getting.

Retrospectively I should have been cleared in writing, but I thought (now incorrectly) that stating it and the pictures would be sufficient.

You never said that the items were included. In fact you explicitly stated that they weren't. You sent him pictures of what he was getting although you'd also posted pictures of the bike earlier with some extra parts on.

IMHO the guy is trying it on or is having buyers remorse. Offer him a full refund if he wants to return the bike, otherwise nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    You never said that the items were included. In fact you explicitly stated that they weren't. You sent him pictures of what he was getting although you'd also posted pictures of the bike earlier with some extra parts on.

IMHO the guy is trying it on or is having buyers remorse. Offer him a full refund if he wants to return the bike, otherwise nothing.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
    +1
    To be fair the original pictures were from the original ad, which I did a lazy link to and we have established that was a mistake on my part.

However following that, I did send pictures to make sure he could see exactly what he was getting, (there was some bits under the seat he got which I did not take pictures of, but they were part of the sale which seems fine) and I did a picture of the spares I had which he got that I had wrapped up to prevent scratching etc in transit in his rucksack.

What I should have done was a spec list in the emails of the pictures, my fault that I did not. Next time I shall be more explicit.

To be honest I am not clear I want to offer a full refund, as he has taken it and the documents are off to the dvla and I have no insurance now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Tell him to do one!

You've got the money which he presumably paid you when he took the bike away.
    Quote Originally Posted by NikGixer750 View Post
    I refer you back to the above quotes.

You clearly see yourself as the guilty party so do what you feel is right and offer him a partial refund.

Personally I think you'd be stupid to do so but its your cash!

Did he collect the bike in the dark or with his eyes shut?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I am going to leave it and thank you for the advice. I feel I was explicit verbally and in the pictures. I sent all the pics and talked him through it. If he had been unhappy when collecting I just would have given his money back. He rode home and was happy last night.

Andy, just for you, it was a lovely sunny afternoon and he could see enough to ride on.
    Last edited by samswatch; 6th June 2016 at 17:08.

Caveat Emptor every time ....