closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CJR Airspeed

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mtagrant View Post
    Has anyone had any luck getting a response from CJR? I have contacted them through their website and left posts on Facebook for the last week and getting no response. Can't find a phone number for them either
    Hi - just joined up after searching for other Airspeed owners having problems :)

Exactly the same for me...total radio silence for the last few weeks...I was an early backer too and have been trying to get a response from CJR rather than just sending mine off to some random HK address and hoping for the best!

I'm thinking about just having them send over the replacement back and front, and then getting them swapped out over here.

Quote Originally Posted by awd2000 View Post
    I'm thinking about just having them send over the replacement back and front, and then getting them swapped out over here.
    From what I've gleaned from them they won't do that. Something to do with the seal and it being a bit different.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveHarris View Post
    From what I've gleaned from them they won't do that. Something to do with the seal and it being a bit different.
    That's a pain - see what you mean though...it's not immediately obvious how to go about separating the case halves from the central section with the lugs.

Apprentice
    Can anyone who has had one for awhile post a quick review? I've the option of buying a slightly used (wore dice times by a massive collector who is paring down his collection) kick starter model for the kickstarter price but I'm wary because of the issues with the hesalite I've read about since replying to the initial ad. Since it's a resale, what happens if the hesalite is damaged? Am I flat out of luck without an original reciept or will cjr still repair it? Do they really break as easily as people say?

I'm surprised people are having a lack of response. I sent a facebook message asking about Canadian retailers and had a response within a day. I left an order in the cart without checking out and had a response in two. Guess they are more interested in selling than repairing.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyway12 View Post
    Can anyone who has had one for awhile post a quick review? I've the option of buying a slightly used (wore dice times by a massive collector who is paring down his collection) kick starter model for the kickstarter price but I'm wary because of the issues with the hesalite I've read about since replying to the initial ad. Since it's a resale, what happens if the hesalite is damaged? Am I flat out of luck without an original reciept or will cjr still repair it? Do they really break as easily as people say?

I'm surprised people are having a lack of response. I sent a facebook message asking about Canadian retailers and had a response within a day. I left an order in the cart without checking out and had a response in two. Guess they are more interested in selling than repairing.
    Not a review as such, but this is how I described mine when I sold it - I should point out that this was before the hesalite case woes surfaced...

Offered for sale only is my CJR Airspeed Pilot Racer. This is an automatic regulator watch with the completely unique feature of a hesalite crystal case (i.e. both front and back). This is the only Kickstarter watch I’ve ever bought and I must say it’s a lovely design (vaguely reminiscent of the Ressence in its appearance in my opinion).

The full description of the watch taken from their website is as follows:

Design
    • Slick infinity dome case design crafted from shatterproof Hesalite crystal
    • Aviation-inspired regulator dials showing sub-dials for hour, minute, and second
    • Black watch face with white (subsequently changed to yellow on the current model) hands for a “polished retro-vintage feel”
    • Compact, lightweight, with slender wire lugs for comfortable fit

Specifications
    • Case Diameter: 43.0mm
    • Case Thickness: 14.8mm
    • Lug Width: 20.0mm
    • Case Material: Hesalite Crystal
    • Movement: Miyota Caliber 8219
    • Water Resistance: 3 ATM (30 m)

This example has probably only been worn three times since I bought it and is completely as new. It comes with the original box, warranty card and an entirely unused 20mm black Rhino-style NATO strap. The watch itself is fitted with a brand new Watch Gecko 20mm black canvas strap. It’s worth noting that although it looks as if it has fixed wire lugs, they actually take standard spring bars so changing straps is dead easy.

At 43mm it’s a nice wearable size, and the watch itself is remarkably light due to how little steel there is in its construction. Like snowman on the forum who also bought one of these, I wondered how easy a regulator layout would be to read – in fact I have also found it surprisingly intuitive (and of course it’s a real talking point!). In my opinion the white hands on my launch model are much more attractive than the yellow ones on the current production model.

The Miyota 8219 is quoted as having a 45-hour power reserve, and that seems to be about right to me. The timekeeping is good.

Hope it helps.

Simon

Apprentice
    Thanks Simon - I'm hoping more people will reply with their reviews/longer term use tboughts. This is a lot of money to me. My most expensive watch ever is a $150 original grain (which I love) but scratches up way too easily and I'm updating my wardrobe for a more professional job and want a second watch to go along with it, preferably one not banged up.

Thanks Simon - I'm hoping more people will reply with their reviews/longer term use tboughts. This is a lot of money to me. My most expensive watch ever is a $150 original grain (which I love) but scratches up way too easily and I'm updating my wardrobe for a more professional job and want a second watch to go along with it, preferably one not banged up.
    You're not going to get too many reviews from members here to be honest - as far as I am aware (although of course some people may not have contributed on the subject, and therefore not made themselves known) only four members actually bought one from new... me, GOAT, Steve Harris and snowman.

I won't lie to you, if I was in your position right now I don't think I would buy one. There is now very clearly an identified issue with the cases, and this coupled with 'radio silence' from CJR would definitely put me off...

Simon

Apprentice
    Hopefully some of the others in this thread see and reply then. I'd hate to put the money towards it if it's garbage.

I liked the watch,but would probably defer from getting another due to the growing concerns about the flawed case design
    An interesting little thing,mine,I have to say seemed perfect, I saw that one owner here put his on eBay and it sold for nothing-seemed a shame
    At the new cost, I'd put my money in a used Stowa,Glycine,Ollech and Wajs etc
    Goat

Apprentice
    I'm being asked $340 USD shipping included with all original packaging and both straps that came with the kick starter. Basically he's getting his kick starter back and I'm saving $140 plus a second strap off off current retail. Seller is a big collector, has dozens of watches and clearing out some he doesn't wear.

But you guys have me really wary in case it does get damages if I can get it fixed....

At that price is it decent?

Or should I keep watching eBay for so.so e else selling it for nothing. The only eBay listing now is for a lot more.

Master
    Just seen the latest posts on here. After a while I did get a response on Facebook messenger saying they had received my messages but were balancing their customer service between sales and customer care and respond in due course. This was three weeks ago and nothing again since.

In my opinion, they need to up their game and start responding to existing customers as they are going to seriously damage their reputation. I would not recommend to anyone to buy from them until they sort thei customer service issues.
    Last edited by mtagrant; 17th April 2017 at 18:20.

I bought mine from here, thought it was rubbish. Paid £250 here, it went for £37 or so on eBay. Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I bought mine from here, thought it was rubbish. Paid £250 here, it went for £37 or so on eBay. Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Personally I think that's a bit harsh, Ryan - but I fully accept that it's not going to be everyone's cuppa.

As for the £37, I guess that's the risk you run putting a little-known watch on eBay with no reserve, mate...

Simon

Apprentice
    250 pounds is about the same as I'm being asked to spend. Can I asked what sepifically was the issue with it? I thought it was the hesalite being scratched but googling hesalite vs other materials I'm seeing most people prefer hesalite because, while it scratches more OT also polishes incredibly easily and is less likely to shatter.

I'm not arguing,just looking for info as I know nothing about watches. As I said before my only other is a $150 original grain (which I love but scratches like crazy) and an heirloom pocket watch.

250 pounds is about the same as I'm being asked to spend. Can I asked what sepifically was the issue with it? I thought it was the hesalite being scratched but googling hesalite vs other materials I'm seeing most people prefer hesalite because, while it scratches more OT also polishes incredibly easily and is less likely to shatter.

I'm not arguing,just looking for info as I know nothing about watches. As I said before my only other is a $150 original grain (which I love but scratches like crazy) and an heirloom pocket watch.
    Read Post #39 - the problem is with the hesalite cracking...

By the way, what's an "original grain"?

Simon

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon
    So the problem is with the hesalite used this time specifically keeps cracking, not with hesalite in general? Good to know.

Original grain are a brand of watches with wood face and wood and metal links.

This is mine:

https://www.originalgrain.com/produc...ndalwood-watch

They look beautiful and I get a lot of comments on it but the wood itself marks up easily, leaving lots of little scratches. I've had mine a couple years now.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post

Simon
    Last question, for you and any other owners.
    It's making or breaking my decision - was the warranty transferable? Or did it apply only to the original purchaser? If it's transferable than I think I might take the risk since supposedly most of the repair backlog is done now. If it's not transferable I won't as the cost to repair the potential damage would negate any savings.

Master
    I just had a response (finally) giving me an address in Hong Kong to send the watch back to for repair. Don't know whether they cleared their backlog, sorted out their prirorities or wanted to avoid me continuing to make comments on their Facebook page.

No offer to pay for my postage as yet, but will report back how it goes.

Anyone facing similar problems, PM me and I can share the address I sent the watch to

Last question, for you and any other owners.
    It's making or breaking my decision - was the warranty transferable? Or did it apply only to the original purchaser? If it's transferable than I think I might take the risk since supposedly most of the repair backlog is done now. If it's not transferable I won't as the cost to repair the potential damage would negate any savings.
    Blimey, I have to give you points for persistence! I think you would have to contact CJR direct to find out about the warranty. There was nothing in the paperwork with the watch and there is nothing on their website to indicate if the warranty is transferable. Generally with most manufacturers the warranty is tied to the watch not the buyer, but there are exceptions - Doxa being a notable example...

Simon

Master
    Latest on this, I sent over to Hong Kong and delivery was attempted on 5th May. I was told it would be collected from the sorting office - it wasn't. Delivery attempted again on 10th May - again no one to receive the package. It is currently sitting in a sorting office in Hong Kong as it has been for the past week......

Nice service CJR !!

I just had a response (finally) giving me an address in Hong Kong to send the watch back to for repair. Don't know whether they cleared their backlog, sorted out their prirorities or wanted to avoid me continuing to make comments on their Facebook page.

No offer to pay for my postage as yet, but will report back how it goes.

Anyone facing similar problems, PM me and I can share the address I sent the watch to

Master
    Update - watch now received back and looking better than before. Seems to be diffeeent case profile and i believe different harder crystal to stop cracking.

In the grand scheme of things, it didn't take that long, but there comms were pretty shocking!!
    Last edited by mtagrant; 7th June 2017 at 09:41.

What did it cost you to post it back to them?

I might try emailing again as they never responded to my original one.

M.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    What did it cost you to post it back to them?

I might try emailing again as they never responded to my original one.

M.
    Was about £12. No offer from them to cover those costs (although apparently this was offered to others). I tended to contact them on many different channels to get a response. Email, submit through their website, Facebook and messenger. It started to really annoy the guy at the end, but no regrets as it seemed to work

Was about £12. No offer from them to cover those costs (although apparently this was offered to others). I tended to contact them on many different channels to get a response. Email, submit through their website, Facebook and messenger. It started to really annoy the guy at the end, but no regrets as it seemed to work
    Thanks - I'll give it a go then.

M.