closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Underwhelmed box opening but the watch grew on you .

Banned

Underwhelmed box opening but the watch grew on you .

I've actually felt like this several times , have you ever awaited the arrival of a new watch , perhaps a grail watch and opened the box and been , well , underwhelmed ? Expected so much more but the watch looked boring . You'd read countless reviews and look at pictures after pictures and decided to pull the trigger .

However after unpacking it and sizing it and wearing it , it began to grow on you , it's happened to me several times , including recently with a Rolex seadweller 4K , bought it , took the stickers off and felt , meh... but after a couple of days I began to appreciate it and looking at it in several lighting conditions it simply grew on me and now it's a beauty and appreciate what it's all about .

Just wondering , has this ever happened to you ? Thoughts ....

Seikoboy

Banned

Seikoboy

Nice. So is it no longer for sale ?

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Is it for sale by any chance?😜

EZM2.
    Bought one recently, on a whim as it was fairly priced.
    Opened the box, thought "meh".
    Put it on anyway, and I like it more and more every time I wear it.
    It is great, actually.
    D

Craftsman
    I have this peculiar thing where I always imagine the watch to be really big when I'm checking it out in the pictures. So I'm shocked literally every time when I first see it in the flesh, sitting in the box looking really tiny - and I don't even like big watches, or have the wrist for them. Once I start wearing it, it's perfectly fine ... but I still remember my heart sinking when I bought my first watch online all those years ago.

Otherwise, I've learned that it's impossible for me to guess in advance how much I'll bond with a particular watch - I've had every possible combination, from buying some just because they were really cheap and then really falling in love with them, to finding that a watch I expected to overshadow everything I'd own up to that point totally not living up to the expectation.

It's a nice watch, still prefer the 16600 though. I find minute markers around entire bezel a little busy, to 15 minute mark looks better imho. The SEL fit mildly annoys me too the way the end links stick a little above case lugs. That been said minor nit picks on a great watch, and probably my favorite modern Rolex dive watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Frakius View Post
    It's a nice watch, still prefer the 16600 though. I find minute markers around entire bezel a little busy, to 15 minute mark looks better imho. The SEL fit mildly annoys me too the way the end links stick a little above case lugs. That been said minor nit picks on a great watch, and probably my favorite modern Rolex dive watch.
    I feel exactly the same yet I cannot help but want to give the ceramic version a go, hmm.

Journeyman
    This is very very common for me I really want a watch struggle sometimes to get it, and really excited about getting it. The watch arrives I think what was all the fuss about its just a watch, at this point start finding faults with it. After a period and over time start really loving it and cherishing it. Quite a funny hobby really

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ally- View Post
    Nice. So is it no longer for sale ?
    Who said it was for sale ?

Seikoboy

Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post
    You. Several times and to multiple people.

You come across as disingenuous.

Ive never experienced this - every watch has seemed better to me in the flesh than in pictures.

I was slightly worried about my latest Speedmaster as I have wanted one of these since 1969, thinking that it might be something of an anti-climax. To my relief it wasn't. Admittedly I have seen and handled a few over the years so it wasn't as if I had only seen them in pictures.

Banned

This is not the thread to discuss PMs regarding a private negotiation , I have never advertised the watch and I simply responded to your enquiry , we did not agree price and that was that . The matter is closed now

Seikoboy

Master
    I picked up a Damasko DK101/13 a couple of weeks ago. Was initially a bit surprised how big this sat on the wrist and was a bit underwhelmed. After wearing it for a few minutes I got used to the size and started to appreciate the qualities of this piece. Now, it is a favourite.

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blancpain Fifty Fathoms.
    I saw some amazing photos of it and when it arrived it just looked too shiny.
    It took me a while to get used to it.

Master
    I felt a little underwhelmed by the Explorer 36mm until I wore it for a couple of days, got used to the size and fell for it completely. I had been wearing a Black Bay every day for 2 months before that so it did look tiny at first.

This left me cold. Now is a total core for me. Legibility, versatility, clean looks and looks great on almost every strap imaginable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trisdg View Post
    Had a few Panerai, but this ticks so many boxes

1950 case
    Sandwich dial
    Gold hands
    Small seconds and date
    In-house movement
    Titanium case

Are you sure you are on the right thread?:-)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Seikoboy View Post

Seikoboy
    It looks great on your wrist...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Omega PO2500 was a somewhat "meh" buy for me. I ended up really liking it though.

Almost all of my watches, and certainly those of any significance, have been bought face to face so never had that initial disappointment but many of these I've subsequently blown cold on when the remorse sets in, only for a deep everlasting love to grow later. The Brequet Type XX and Speedmaster Pro are prime examples. Sometimes it's the opposite way around and in this case the Bond Seamaster and IWC MkXV Spitfire stick in the memory. Both moved on in the end. Basically you have to own a watch to really know. Online pictures and 10 mins in a dealer can only get your so far.

Goes against the grain for most but believe it or not an Omega 2254. It was as a birthday gift but I'd always wanted the Bond version. Years later I now have 2531

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master

Master
    Happened twice to me. Firstly with a Kermit which I never bonded with, kept for a while as the OH liked it, but sold it on. I weep when I remember what I accepted for it. Secondly with my BLNR, initially 'meh' with it but persevered and now adore it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Railmaster for me. I wouldn't say its love at first sight, but come to really enjoy wearing it. I'm not sure I'm "smitten" per se though.

My experience has been that if its not love at first sight, then its not to be.

The Dreadnought Voyager for me.

When mine arrived, I really didn't like it much at all, it just didn't click with me and I put it away, unworn in the hope that maybe prices would go mad like for the original DN.

Of course, they went the other way and so, one day I just decided I'd wear it on a trip to the US.

I really started to appreciate it and it's now a favourite, although I don't wear it a lot.

I was also very shocked at the size of the Seiko Alpinist when it first arrived and nearly stuck it straight on eBay, but I stuck with it for a few days and got over that initial surprise and, again, I now really appreciate it.

M.
    Last edited by snowman; 6th June 2017 at 16:10.

Master
    Definitely, new watches just look a bit too new to me, they stand out too much like a new haircut. They need to wear in, get some dirt in the brushed surfaces and have the polished parts calm down a bit. Three years in and my Omega AT keeps getting better looking. It's not that I'm a fan of scratches but somehow it's maturing. I was even a bit luke warm about my 16570 Explorer II when it came back from service, new bezel, brand new looking and just too clean and shiny for a rugged watch. A few months later I'm loving it.

My first GS was another one, one of the only other new watches I've owned. I opened the box in particularly poor light and thought, ok, hmmmm.... then watched as over weeks it revealed a succession of beautiful angles and different looks in different conditions. First impressions count I suppose but to really understand it you had to get to know it, and found yourself gradually falling for it. I think that applies to most GS really.

Having said all that, sometimes first impressions are everything and the thing you didn't like remains the thing you'll never like, you can get used to a change of size but a watch that's really the wrong size isn't going to change... Some things just feel like they are yours in the end, and some never really do.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by arisrosmaninho View Post
    It looks great on your wrist...

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Thanks

Seikoboy

Craftsman
    I've been underwhelmed by the box, Breitling need to up their game in that regard.

I agree with the comments about living with a watch, you really need to own it for months before you really know.

Craftsman
    Having read so much about the Speedmaster pro moonwatch, I bought one off SC. Got really excited about it, wore it a couple of times and put it away. I offered it for trade and took it out of the box to take pics and decided to keep it. I have had on my wrist more than any other watch since. I now 'get it' and am glad I didn't trade it in.

Apprentice
    Had something similar with my Daytona. When I first handled one I had to have one. When it arrived I was a bit unsure. I liked it, but not £9K liked it.

Guess it was just buyers remorse, it grew on me and I constantly admire it now. Next hurdle is to get used to having two watches with PCLs. I can cope with scratches on one but two may take some getting used to.

Journeyman
    No, was under whelmed when I opened the box on a limited edition brietling and the more I looked at it the worse it got, watch sat unloved for about a year before being sold to someone that actually wanted it.

Journeyman
    i didn't think i would, but...

borrowed pic

an automatic Swatch chronograph i bought on a lark!

it took quite a few tries (it's a large watch) but i eventually liked it so much i found a brand new one (this line had been discontinued for some time) and paid retail to just keep one more in my collection..