closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom Rolex DLC

Custom Rolex DLC

This may not be popular here but some may get it and enjoy

I've always liked Rolex and lost count of how many I've had but had the majority of all the sports watches. Had my Daytona for a few years and I have a Datejust in rose gold and steel that I recently sold and bought straight back Sure i'm not alone on that one...

Anyhow there does come a time in this hobby when things get stale and you start looking at more interesting options from the norm. I have been a serial flipper for some years and have tried a lot of watches but slowed down this year, a bit. I have ventured into Hublots lately and love the modern design and technologies, especially on my Big Bang Unico. This has probably led me to this somewhat.

More recently I have been admiring SOME of the Bamford Rolex designs but the prices are either eye watering or piss taking, whichever your view. So i've decided to give it go but the slightly more DIY and cheaper route.

I've started with a new DateJust II model in its simplest and most boring form, bought stickered up from 2015 and got a decent discount. Here it is in all its plainness:

Excuse the poor picture, this was from my dealer and I forgot to photograph it.

I found someone to do the modifications I wanted at a reasonable price, its not cheap and quotes vary wildly and some companies will insist you buy a new Rolex from them. I had some quotes around £4k for DLC work!!!

I have had the watch stripped and polished to a matte finish as I didn't want a shiny black finish, I thought the matte would give a more stealthy look.

Here it is after polishing and stripped down ready for the DLC treatment:

I have chosen DLC over just PVD although similar process as most reports suggested it was more durable. Opinions vary on this so I will leave it there.

So what does it look like now?

Don't know but hope to have it back in a week or so will update you all then! Really excited to get it back

Cheers

James
    Last edited by champagne_james; 31st May 2016 at 20:41. Reason: spelling

Craftsman
    Nice post - will look forward to the pics when it's back!

Quote Originally Posted by champagne_james View Post

I have chosen DLC over just PVD although similar process as most reports suggested it was more durable. Opinions vary on this so I will leave it there.
    DLC is the material, PVD the process of application!

Other than that I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*gulp*. good luck.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Banned
    Yikes.... will Rolex service the watch once it has had this kind of "work" done to it?

Blog Entries
    Interesting thread. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GrandS View Post
    Yikes.... will Rolex service the watch once it has had this kind of "work" done to it?
    Is it an issue if they won't?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

There is another thread currently running about the durability of these types of coatings and how easy or otherwise it is to repair scratches and dings etc. I assume that you have considered that before going ahead.

Ultimately it is your watch, so do with it as you please and enjoy.

I know opinion will be divided on this one, but I'd like to say "well done for having a go"
    there's a saying in life that you never really regret the things you do, only the things you don't.
    I have been in engineering for nearly 40 years and have a love of suitability of materials and finishes to a purpose
    to this end I did my own mod a few years ago where I got a luminor homage case and stripped it and had it TiN coated- the sort of finish used on world superbike fork stanchions etc
    look forward to seeing it, here's my effort!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Is it an issue if they won't?
    Yes

Can't wait to see the outcome, it'll be very different and, I'm assuming, entirely unique.

Best of luck.

I'm beginning to wish someone would give you a good servicing.
    Good luck everybody. Have a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    I know opinion will be divided on this one, but I'd like to say "well done for having a go"
    there's a saying in life that you never really regret the things you do, only the things you don't.
    I have been in engineering for nearly 40 years and have a love of suitability of materials and finishes to a purpose
    to this end I did my own mod a few years ago where I got a luminor homage case and stripped it and had it TiN coated- the sort of finish used on world superbike fork stanchions etc
    That should wear well!

I was reading about the new Tag Monza, it uses titanium carbide on the titanium case.

I imagine that will wear quite well too!

Banned
    There'll be much negative response to this, but I'm so pleased to see some individuality for a refreshing change.

I've looked at some of the Bamford and others creations more than a few times. To be honest, I'd be the plonker who would pay over the odds for one already done.

Based on the good purchase price and the 'diy' method, I'd say you'd get your investment back if you decided to move it on.

Looking forward to seeing it complete.

Yes
    Why - are they the only people capable of servicing a Rolex - seriously?

If you believe this to be so then you are far more stupid than you (and others) portray yourself.

Master
    Sounds good James look forward to seeing the results brave decision, I don't think I'd let you near my DJ though ;-)

Yes
    NO.....
    It's James' watch and he's had a few and will have gone to some lengths to convince himself....
    It's Not an issue for James, as he can get any half decent watchmaker to do anything that ever needs doing, after the mod.
    Non story in this instance

Master
    That looks really good - and given the properties of the material (just looked it up) I'm surprised it's not more commonly used for wristwatches. If it's used to extend the life of drill bits and the sliding surfaces of suspension forks it must certainly help to prevent scuffs and dings on watch bezels.

Master
    I've always quite liked the look of some of these:

http://www.projectxdesigns.com

Not all! :)

Look forward to seeing the OP's results.

No they won't but I couldn't really care less, it will be 10 years ish before needing a service and I can send it to an independent to do it if I still have it. I'm not dependant on Rolex.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    There is another thread currently running about the durability of these types of coatings and how easy or otherwise it is to repair scratches and dings etc. I assume that you have considered that before going ahead.

Ultimately it is your watch, so do with it as you please and enjoy.
    The coating has a guarantee for a year but watches get marked up so I am expecting some wear over time, I have read a lot of posts and some people report 5+ years without any issues.

Yes
    Really? lol

Quote Originally Posted by burnsey66 View Post
    There'll be much negative response to this, but I'm so pleased to see some individuality for a refreshing change.

I've looked at some of the Bamford and others creations more than a few times. To be honest, I'd be the plonker who would pay over the odds for one already done.

Based on the good purchase price and the 'diy' method, I'd say you'd get your investment back if you decided to move it on.

Looking forward to seeing it complete.
    Thanks mate. Depending on how this may goes I may be tempted on a Bamford down the line as some of their designs really appeal to me. Agreed on re-sale value as the cost of this all in is far less that what I have seen advertised by any company offering a similar service.

If you believe this to be so then you are far more stupid than you (and others) portray yourself.
    Agreed.

Thanks for all the comments, interesting to see everyone's comments, on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomw2000 View Post
    I've always quite liked the look of some of these:

http://www.projectxdesigns.com

Not all! :)

Look forward to seeing the OP's results.
    I did look at them but you have to buy their watch which i didn't want to do.

Thanks mate and wise words, its a hobby for fun after all. That looks great!
    Last edited by champagne_james; 31st May 2016 at 22:09.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    DLC is the material, PVD the process of application!

Other than that I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

I didn't really explain myself as I was 'power' typing.

An interesting article here:

http://www.wristtimes.com/blog-1/201...ating-worth-it

Master
    Blog Entries

Re

Hi,

The watch looks well stripped down so should coat very well.

Regs

Bry

Banned

Good luck selling a Rolex watch that Rolex themselves refuse to touch...

Bamfords and others sell stock that equates to millions of pounds with no issues.

They must be very lucky.

There's a whole industry based around this process and it looks like its doing ok, see google.

I approve:-)

Master
    ...I did my own mod a few years ago where I got a luminor homage case and stripped it and had it TiN coated- the sort of finish used on world superbike fork stanchions etc
    Ah, good old yellow gold titanium nitride – just don’t handle with soapy or even wet hands!

Great work and I know what you mean about doing something different. I think many who dislike the left field watches don't always think of them as part of or a compliment to a collection.

I am not convinced about the suitability of DLC as a watch finish long term and have mentioned this before but it wouldn't stop me doing it to a Rolex so I look forward to seeing the results !

Again as part of a collection it will have less usr and so less risk of wear although if you like your BB Unico then I expect it will get a lot of wear - great to see more variation on here.

I didn't really explain myself as I was 'power' typing.

An interesting article here:

http://www.wristtimes.com/blog-1/201...ating-worth-it
    Interesting in that it's clearly written by someone who doesn't fully understand the subject, but that's sidetracking your thread so I'll stop here.

Other than to say, I also think it's an interesting project and, whilst considered brace by many, a Rolex is after all just another watch and a top quality starting point for a mod. I'm looking forward to seeing the end results.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Ah, good old yellow gold titanium nitride – just don’t handle with soapy or even wet hands!
    Agreed if you use the sputter deposition method...Mine was done using ion bombardment which gives a less porous micro finish and suffered no problems. Many components receive a microscopic gold layer afterwards that also helps (mine didn't)
    You may use acetone to remove marks if they do occur, or better still isopropyl alcohol which is commonly used to lean optical glass.
    As you are rightly questioning (?) some of these finishes are less suitable for our hobby than others.

Master
    Rather you than me, I certainly wouldn't buy a PVD coated watch.

Excellent stuff James, I'm really looking forward to seeing this completed. Love that stripped down photo!

Great to see a departure from the normal run of the mill choices, and I think it's going to look great. Is it being done in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by tz-uk73 View Post
    Is it being done in the UK?
    Yes UK. I am told Bremont use the same company.

Looking forward to seeing this and hope it works out well. Personally I would not have the guts / depth of pocket to do this.

Craftsman
    Brave man but it all looks good stripped down!

I am really looking forward to seeing the finished article.

Master
    Agreed if you use the sputter deposition method...Mine was done using ion bombardment which gives a less porous micro finish and suffered no problems. Many components receive a microscopic gold layer afterwards that also helps (mine didn't)
    You may use acetone to remove marks if they do occur, or better still isopropyl alcohol which is commonly used to lean optical glass.
    As you are rightly questioning (?) some of these finishes are less suitable for our hobby than others.
    Oh, too deep (said the actress to the bishop) – I was only referencing TiN’s low co-efficient of friction.
    As for IPA, yes, even neat, as it flashes off very quickly.

Craftsman
    Looking forward to seeing the outcome and something a bit different. If you like the result then it will have been worth it.

I'd love to see a Sub in Sinn tegimented steel, the matt finish of the dlc black versions would also look great. It's the OP's money, some posts do make me chuckle - Rolex watches aren't an endangered species you know, if one gets killed or mortally darkened there are plenty more coming off the production line!

Yes UK. I am told Bremont use the same company.
    As far as I know there is only one place to get this done in the UK and everyone uses it.

I started out hating Dlc Rolex but have ended up rather liking some of them. I'd be doing the same myself rather than paying the crazy prices some of the bespoke guys charge... Hope it turns out well for you.

Will you be having anything done to the dial? Relumed in colour, say?

Master
    Blog Entries
    You chaps spoken to tony? ;)
    Last edited by Bry1975; 1st June 2016 at 16:10.

Quote Originally Posted by Bry1975 View Post
    You chaps spoken to tony? ;)
    ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Der Amf View Post
    Will you be having anything done to the dial? Relumed in colour, say?
    No not at the moment. Dial can always be taken out and customised later if I want to. Did think about it but decided against it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    I approve:-)

Excuse me while I get violently sick... Even the strap is just hideous.

Excuse me while I get violently sick... Even the strap is just hideous.
    You will never be excused on here.

Journeyman
    A project that was always going to divide opinion but I'm looking forward to seeing the finished article. Well done for daring to be different.

Excuse me while I get violently sick... .
    Wow! I didn't think it was possible to get sicker than you are at baseline:-)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RAJEN View Post
    Wow! I didn't think it was possible to get sicker than you are at baseline:-)
    I didn't think so either. Now I know better ;)

I didn't think so either. Now I know better ;)
    😄