closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: demagnetizer heads up

demagnetizer heads up

Have been reading a fair bit about watches becoming magnetized and how to demagnetize, found this one on ebay in Holland, looks like a good deal.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1720169259...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Master
    Good find that!

Master

demagnetizer heads up

My German is a bit rusty!
    Can you actually put the whole watch head in or just the movement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ar.parask; 30th May 2016 at 21:27.

Journeyman
    Opening is 6cm at widest part so would depend on case sizes I would assume

Master
    Good catch! Did not notice...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll wager the one they send you isn't made by Bergeon though!

Quote Originally Posted by AidanG View Post
    Opening is 6cm at widest part so would depend on case sizes I would assume
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannop View Post
    I think it says no name in the blurb

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I bought one of these from a UK seller for a lot less (currently out of stock, though):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111097667464

I'm not sure that magnetization is a big problem in normal use
    really.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    I bought one of these from a UK seller for a lot less (currently out of stock, though):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111097667464
    Did look at these but wanted something possibly a bit better, like the idea that you pass the whole watch through as opposed to sit on top, don't know if it makes a difference but will find out soon.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by stickfly View Post
    I'm not sure that magnetization is a big problem in normal use
    really.
    It can be. I've had a couple sent to me that were badly magnetised, causing the rate to increase to around + 200 secs / day and the amplitude to drop to around 200 degrees. I've had plenty that fe slightly affected.

I don't think the current trend for glass backed watches is a good thing, it's bound to make the watch more susceptible in my view.

Paul

I thought I'd look into whether this is a potential bargain or a fake. It's a Chinese fake. If you google Bergeon degausser, you get loads of similar-looking ones from sites like eBay and Aliexpress, many with writing in Chinese over the image. So it's pretty clear where these are coming from.

If you go to the Bergeon website, the real one looks different. Aside from some differences like the extra voltage selection knob and "BERGEON" printed on the side, it looks better put together in general:

http://shop.bergeon.ch/Catalogue/PDF/5151%205152.pdf

Also a Bergeon one won't leave you much change out of £260 or so here in the UK

If you wanted to go for a Greiner Magnomatic (the best IMHO) your talking over £800!
    Last edited by Thewatchbloke; 31st May 2016 at 12:35.

Ordered one yesterday, i am under no illusion that it is a bergeron at that money, i just prefer the way you pass the watch thru. will report back on what its like when it lands.

Also a Bergeon one won't leave you much change out of £260 or so here in the UK

If you wanted to go for a Greiner Magnomatic (the best IMHO) your talking over £800!
    You do get the odd genuine bargain on eBay though, so it's always worth checking. Usually the result of clearances, damaged boxes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilw3030 View Post
    Ordered one yesterday, i am under no illusion that it is a bergeron at that money, i just prefer the way you pass the watch thru. will report back on what its like when it lands.
    I do wonder if there's anything intrinsically better about that design and also whether the fake is an clone of the internal hardware design, or just uses any old hardware in a case designed to look like the Bergeon. I know there are some decent Chinese knock-off items, such as the Yihua soldering stations, but at least those have their own brand so if you buy one you can find out exactly what the specifications and performance are like and decide if a genuine Hakko is worth the difference. With an outright fake it's a bit harder to make those sort of comparison, because you never really know who's fake you're going to get (although the same can be said of Chinese "brands" in general, to some extent).

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with yours. Having had one magnetised watch, I've been thinking about getting a degausser for a while, but it's really hard to know if the cheapy ones are going to be do the job, or make things worse. I read something while digging around earlier about certain types of degausser having the potential to damage a movement by inducing vibrations, so that would be a concern with any cheap one.